Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Cider > Pappy`s Pub Cider

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2013, 04:47 AM   #21
Paps
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 320

Bottle bombs are a concern for any brew. The solution is to let fermentation finish before you even THINK about bottling. I let everything sit for at least a month before bottling. Dont use any priming sugar at all. I am drinking this right now from keg on beergas (nitrogen/co2)
I'm only on my 2nd glass so i can still type...for now.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2013, 02:07 AM   #22
embreedow
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

So I racked to secondary after two weeks and it seemed like it'll turn out good!
It was still a little sweet at 1.04 but it seems like it was still fermenting a bit. Also, it was VERY alcoholic. Will that mellow out a bit if I let it sit for a few weeks/ a month? Sorry im a little new to this still. Also, I added 2 cinnamon stick so we'll see what that adds!

Old 07-30-2013, 09:11 PM   #23
Paps
Recipes 

Yes it mellows with aging. It retains sweetness due to the massive amounts of sugar added into it. The buzz will sneak up on ya so don't try to quaf this like a session beer or you wont make it to work on time the next day.(if at all).
Let us know how the sticks make it taste.

Old 09-04-2013, 03:49 PM   #24
duff571
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

did anyone try raisins as nutrients ?

Old 09-05-2013, 01:55 AM   #25
nbogart
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I LOVED this recipe the first time (used the Lalvin yeast, 4 gallons Motts apple juice, and 8 lb Kroger Value sugar). It was really potent (the math said 11.6% abv, but I have reason to believe that value is low), but had almost too much sweetness remaining. This time, I am adding a cinnamon stick to the brew, after 5 days of fermentation to ensure that anything on the cinnamon stick is killed by the alcohol. Interestingly enough, the stick floats and seems to indicate "self stirring". The fermentation is robust enough to actually induce a circulation within the glass carboy. I will post the final results; I have really high hopes for this batch.

Old 09-28-2013, 06:15 PM   #26
Hello
16%er
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 14 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1393 Times on 973 Posts
Likes Given: 2176

Dumb questions:

Can I bottle this? I think I understood that I can but I am not to add any priming sugar, right?
Will it carb up in a bottle if I let it sit in the primary for 14 days and secondary for another 14?
Do I need to ferment at any certain temp? Is it like fermenting beer?
If I cannot find tree top AJ, can I use some other unfiltered juice?

Old 09-29-2013, 05:59 AM   #27
Paps
Recipes 

I personally let it sit in primary for at least a month. If i could edit the 1rst post i would change primary time to 30+ days. I keg nowadays but this will carb up in bottles. It allready has a pretty hefty amount of sugar so no need to add anymore for priming. Bottle bombs are a concern so don't rush things. Room temp fermentation is just fine for this however if you have the means to and choose to ferment cooler then feel free to do so. Yes the basic principles are the same as with beer just let the yeast do their thing. "Tree Top" is sold at wal-marts but if you can't find it try the "Motts" namebrand of juice.(Target sells it)
-Cheers

Old 09-29-2013, 10:13 PM   #28
nbogart
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Adding Cinnamon

I have tried this recipe three times, each a different version. My first was the recipe as written, the second was with cinnamon sticks, and the third was with the addition of some ginger crystals. I had to scale the batches down to fit a 5 gallon carboy. For this amount, I use 4 gallons of Mott's (I can't find tree top around here, I am in Columbus Ohio), 8 lbs of sugar (Kroger Value), and the Lalvin yeast packet.

If you want to add cinnamon, I found that 6 sticks was perfect for this batch size. Make sure to add them about 4 days in. This will allow the ambient alcohol content to rise high enough so that you don't have to "sanitize" the sticks themselves.

I am bottling the ginger recipe tonight, it is pretty delicious. I added "Prince of Peace Honey Crystals", (4 packets). I will of course give an update once I have time to try it.

Old 10-03-2013, 05:09 AM   #29
Paps
Recipes 

Just got done racking a version with 3 cinnamon sticks in 2ndary.
Even uncarbed and room temp warm the stuff is great.
This batch got a month plus in primary and a month in 2ndary with the sticks.
More mellow than the stock recipe and it finished out at 1.020 so still plenty sweet.
-Cheers.

Old 10-03-2013, 12:13 PM   #30
JonIreland
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

what about leaving out the added sugar wont the apple be sweet enough ???????????/

Quick Reply