Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Cider > Newell's Groundhog Cider (woodchuck amber clone)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2013, 02:24 PM   #71
VOCBrewery
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default Noob Question

First of all, thanks to all who post on these boards. The knowledge base is unfriggin believable. I have 5 batches of beer under my belt and I would like to reward SWMBO for her support and patience.

#1 Is there really no boiling this recipe? Hard to believe something that looks so tasty can be this easy.

#2 Fermenting temps. The details on the Red Star are pretty clear 59-86*. I was wondering what the ideal temp is. I would love to do this @ room temp (74*) so i didn't tie up my fermenting chamber.

#3 If i do need to ferment cooler, can I store it in a keg at room temp after 1-2 months of fermenting?

#4 Should I use a starter or is one pack of yeast enough?

Thanks again

---- Doug

Primary #1: Westvleteren 12 clone
Primary #2: Empty
Primary #3: Newell's Groundhog Cider
Secondary #1: Slim's Graham Cracker Ale 2.0
Secondary #2: Empty
Secondary #3: Empty
Keg #1: Left Hand Milk Stout clone
Keg #2: Dogfish head 90 minute IPA clone
Keg #3: Newell's Groundhog Cider

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2013, 02:42 PM   #72
StoutLover
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by VOCBrewery View Post
First of all, thanks to all who post on these boards. The knowledge base is unfriggin believable. I have 5 batches of beer under my belt and I would like to reward SWMBO for her support and patience.

#1 Is there really no boiling this recipe? Hard to believe something that looks so tasty can be this easy.

#2 Fermenting temps. The details on the Red Star are pretty clear 59-86*. I was wondering what the ideal temp is. I would love to do this @ room temp (74*) so i didn't tie up my fermenting chamber.

#3 If i do need to ferment cooler, can I store it in a keg at room temp after 1-2 months of fermenting?

#4 Should I use a starter or is one pack of yeast enough?

Thanks again

---- Doug
1. Nope, no boiling.
2. Room temp should be just fine. I did a five gallon batch at around 77 degrees, and it was great.
3. No need.
4. No need for a starter. Just pitch a yeast pack on top and let it do it's thing. One pack is enough. I used yeast nutrient, but that's up to you.

Old 07-31-2013, 04:50 PM   #73
VOCBrewery
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Thanks for the answers StoutLover

Primary #1: Westvleteren 12 clone
Primary #2: Empty
Primary #3: Newell's Groundhog Cider
Secondary #1: Slim's Graham Cracker Ale 2.0
Secondary #2: Empty
Secondary #3: Empty
Keg #1: Left Hand Milk Stout clone
Keg #2: Dogfish head 90 minute IPA clone
Keg #3: Newell's Groundhog Cider

Old 02-10-2014, 08:09 PM   #74
N2GN2
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm getting ready to keg my batch. At what PSI and for how long should I force carb? Thanks!

The apples were fresh juiced. I added 1 can of concentrate to 1 gallon of juice for an OG of 1.055. My FG was 1.00 after sitting in secondary for a couple of months. I took 3 cans of concentrate to back sweeten to 1.030.

Old 03-30-2014, 03:51 PM   #75
N2GN2
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

My first batch of this cider was amazing! The two gallons I made went way too fast. I put a new batch in the keg last week to carb and tried it yesterday. This batch is not very good at all. I read that some have to let the batch sit for 6+ months before being drinkable? In an effort to stay away from china apples this last batch was made using Kirkland apple juice and organic cane sugar for priming and back sweetening. I noticed the recipe calls for corn sugar if not using apple juice concentrate. I would love to use concentrate but I have not found one that uses US apples. This current batch had SG 1.068 FG 1.000 then sweetened to 1.028 so its a little hot. Fermentation took about two weeks then it was moved to secondary for a month. My first batch that tasted so good sat in secondary for a few months till it was as clear as apple juice. When kegging my current batch it was still cloudy. I did not use pectic enzyme on this last batch. Any words of encouragement? Thanks!

Old 03-30-2014, 09:54 PM   #76
N2GN2
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

After some searching I think I found the answer to a great cider. I need to use corn sugar to boost ABV, but I need to stop at 1.058 as the recipe calls for. I will use apple juice concentrate to back sweeten and bring the apple flavor back! I believe that Tree Top sells an apple juice concentrate made from 100% U.S. apples. Corn sugar will be cheaper to boost ABV than apple juice concentrate. The more ABV, the less desirable taste for a cider.

Quick Reply