Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Cider > Newell's Groundhog Cider (woodchuck amber clone)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2012, 02:32 PM   #61
Guthdog
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

OK, so you cold crash to slow/stop fermentation so the KM and sorbate can act more effectively?

Question: I thought sorbate slowed yeast reproduction, but K-Meta actually kills the yeast doesn't it?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2012, 02:28 PM   #62
stujol
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I don't think it kills wine yeast unless you use it in bigger doses than what I do. Someone with more knowledge can jump in here in enlighten us. It was down to 1.010 last night. I would have swore it was 1.040 in the morning but maybe I misread the hydrometer, I was heading off to work. Seems like a big drop for 12 hours. But I racked it and added the potassium sorbate and metabisulphite. It is chilling in the garage fridge now. The filtering didn't work out to well. Keep plugging up the filters even with a #2 filter

Old 10-26-2012, 06:53 PM   #63
a9a1c1
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Wow 7 a gallon for fresh cider, I guess I have a great cider house at 4 a gallon. On a side note, just pulled my 30g batch with English cider yeast and plan on filtering it on a 2 stage with 50 mic as the first and 5 for the last, then force carb in the keg. Hoping I pulled at the correct number. Shooting for 7%abv with fg at 1.010. SG was high at 1.060. It still tastes sweet, and thank god I have access to a walk-in cooler for the cold crash or would have rocket fuel (which I had before, which turned into vinegar before I could drink it)

Old 01-08-2013, 04:11 AM   #64
PilotCline
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Just made this tonight. I went with the original recipe on the front page that newell had. I used 4.5 gallons of Sams club brand juice. $14 for 4.5 gallons. I used walmart brand concentrate at $1 per can. Took 3 cans or 36oz to get up to 1.058. I used 4 tsp of yeast nutrient per the instructions on the bottle. Aerated very well with the shaking half jugs method. Looking forward to this. I will update when finished!

Old 01-15-2013, 11:02 PM   #65
WoodAle
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Put a batch of this together this weekend as my first try at cider. Followed the recipe just as PilotCline did. I may be speaking too soon, but it was so easy I don't know why I haven't done this sooner.

Does anybody have any experience bottling this from the keg? I was considering trying to bottle after 2 weeks to a month in the keg at 38 degrees F. Would I still risk bottle bombs if they were stored at room temp after bottling. What about stored cold?

Old 02-18-2013, 04:33 AM   #66
PilotCline
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts

So I am going to keg this tomorrow. I just don't have it in me tonight. What is the general idea on how many cans of juice concentrate it takes to go from around 1.0 to 1.029? I will pick up some cans tomorrow, I just wanted to know roughly how many to buy. Thanks!

Old 02-18-2013, 10:30 PM   #67
WoodAle
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

A previous post noted 48 oz of concentrate (4 cans) taking the fg from 1.008 to 1.029.

Let us know your results.

Old 02-19-2013, 06:15 AM   #68
PilotCline
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts

Alright. It is finished. A few rookie mistakes, and lessons learned. It finished out right at 1.00, giving me 7.47%ABV. I used 6 cans of concentrate and got it up to 1.022. I gave up at that point as I did not have anymore concentrate and did not feel like running to the 24 hour Walmart. I mixed it for quite a while, so I am happy with that gravity. It may not have been completely mixed, so the gravity might be a few points higher, but I mixed for a good 5 minutes and figured that was good enough. The sample is quite delicious! I have it in the keezer now to force carbonate for a few weeks. My biggest mistake was realizing when the keg was close to full that I forgot to put in the Potassium Sorbate. I had pre-measured it out in a small cup, just forgot to add it until the last second. So while the siphon was still going, I dumped it in and tried mixing it quickly with the paddle that I was using earlier. I actually filled up the keg with about 24 ounces worth left in the bucket! That was my other mistake. I started with 4.5 gallons, and ended up adding around .8 gallons of concentrate between the initial sugar bump and tonight's back sweetening. So yeah, didn't do the math out ahead of time, but that is about 5.3 gallons into a "5" gallon keg. I ended up sealing it and shaking the hell out of it trying to mix the sorbate a little more. I hope that is good enough and the keezer temps should help as well. So now I am enjoying my two pint glasses of this stuff uncarbed while I am recalling my nights adventure! Next time, as I am pretty sure there will be a next time, I will start with only 4 gallons at the beginning. It almost seems wasteful to end up with to much, even though I am drinking it right now. Good luck WoodAle, let me know how yours turns out.

Old 05-08-2013, 04:28 PM   #69
StoutLover
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I made a batch of this and bottled it using the pasteurization method in the cider forum. If I recall, it filled about 54 bottles. I didn't backsweeten quite as much as I should have, but this is really tasty, and everyone who's tried it loves it. I'll definitely be making another batch in the near future.

I think I have this recipe to thank for turning my wife on to the need for a keezer.

Old 06-25-2013, 02:41 AM   #70
newell456
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

image-3242306248.jpg

Ten gallons of trouble here! It's nice to see more people enjoying this recipe. I made teo batches, so I did one with champagne yeast and one with Montrachet to experiment. I'm thinking of doing a secondary with cinnamon sticks.

Quick Reply