Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Cider > Newell's Groundhog Cider (woodchuck amber clone)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2012, 07:41 PM   #51
lonepalm
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 5

wife was drinking cider all weekend wants to give it a go at home.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2012, 09:26 PM   #52
BoltsFan704
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Kegged this recipe last weekend. Tastes just like Woodchuck.. wifey loved it. Starting another batch tonight.

Old 04-02-2012, 03:27 PM   #53
Guthrie
Recipes 

Just out this recipe together but added a little too much sugar for my liking. Is it possible to stop fermentation a little early to get a lower abv?

Old 10-05-2012, 06:40 PM   #54
Guthdog
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Waking up this old thread, but I am duplicating this recipe with unpasteurized sweet cider and SO4 yeast.

My first cider was made with CHEAP store-bought AJ, honey and SO4. I was expecting a lightly sweet cider but it fermented out to about .995 and, alas, tasted like rocket fuel.

Searching the forums, I read that cider takes on oak really well, so I steam sterilized and threw a handful of oak cubes that I picked up from my LHBS and put it back into the beer fridge. It was pretty safe from sampling because it was a little like a kick in the teeth initially, (tasting was a duty, not a privilege). Anyhow, the oak, (and time, I'm sure), really helped and it was quite drinkable after about 6 months. This was helped by a recent trip to Germany where I discovered that I had actually made a pretty good Apfelwein instead of a bad cider.

Fast forward to today where my current batch is bubbling away rather vigorously, (I am going to need a chilling setup some day, too damn hot in the Sacramento valley). I plan to age my dry Apfelwein/cider on toasted oak spirals. Sooooo....

Does anyone have an opinion as to whether the oak aging should take place before or after the cider is back sweetened with the double sweet cider made from freezing, as outlined earlier in the thread?

In general, should aging/conditioning take place at room temperature, or would aging in the keg, in the kegerator, be effective?

Finally, I would describe my desired serving dryness as "barely sweet". I will be force carbing and serving from a kegerator, any thoughts on where my target s.g. should be in that case?

Thanks to all for participating in such a great forum, I've learned a ton.

Old 10-08-2012, 12:19 AM   #55
stujol
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

making my second batch of this tonight. Using fresh apple cider instead of concentrate. It is a bit pricey here this year due to the apple crop getting froze out. $7.00 a gallon. First batch turned out well. Every one loved it.

Old 10-08-2012, 01:46 AM   #56
stujol
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

wow, the sg of this cider is 1.070. 10% PA may be a little high for a woodchuck clone.

Old 10-08-2012, 03:20 PM   #57
Guthdog
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stujol
wow, the sg of this cider is 1.070. 10% PA may be a little high for a woodchuck clone.
Wow, 1.070 without adding sugar? Thats gonna' be hot.

So what's the plan? Are you going to let it ferment out totally dry and use CidahMasta's method of creating double sweet cider to get to your desired consumption s.g.?

I would think that you have an interesting opportunity to use cville's method of cold crashing the cider at your desired sweetness and not having to backsweeten at all, but you'll have to watch it like a hawk to make sure that the yeast doesn't eat all your sugar before you shut it down.

Old 10-09-2012, 02:25 PM   #58
stujol
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I am going to try to shut it down early. I am going to filter first then cold crash. A mini-jet #3 filter is supposed to get most of the yeast. Stopping EC-1118 tho is like trying to stop a freight train once it gets going good. I rechecked the sg today with another hydrometer and it is still 1.070. I am going back for more of this cider for some apple wine.

Old 10-09-2012, 06:06 PM   #59
Guthdog
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Philosophically opposed to K-Meta/K-Sorbate?

I'm planning to backsweeten and age with oak spirals, so I really need a good way to stop further fermentation. However, I read a lot about sourness/off flavors, and the wife has several friends who claim sensitivity to sulfites.

Unfortunately, I am lacking the refrigerator space in which to cold crash 4 or 5 gallons of cider.

Old 10-10-2012, 12:23 PM   #60
stujol
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

No I will use kmeta and sorbate but I don't think that will stop a active ferment very fast. That will stop yeast reproduction but the yeast that are present will continue to consume sugar and produce alcohol taking the sg below my target of 1.020.

Quick Reply