Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Cider > Newell's Groundhog Cider (woodchuck amber clone)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2011, 07:50 PM   #31
CidahMastah
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by barhoc11 View Post
Dumb question, when I put in a starting OG of 1.055 and a FG of 1.029, I am getting an ABV of 3.5%. How does this cider have a 7.2% abv?

I am used to taking a OG and a FG for beer to determine ABV, is it different for cider?
Because you are backsweetening. You ferment dry, 1.055 down to 1.000; then you add sweet back in to 1.022 or whatever your tastes dictate.

Man,... That's a lotta hooch!
Steel rig in progress
ebuild info

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2011, 08:59 PM   #32
barhoc11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CidahMastah View Post
Because you are backsweetening. You ferment dry, 1.055 down to 1.000; then you add sweet back in to 1.022 or whatever your tastes dictate.
If you are adding back in juice or whatever to backsweeten, aren't you actually watering/dilluting down the 7.3% abv that you had before you did so?

Keezer Slot #1 - Wheat Beer
Keezer Slot #2 - Raspberry Wheat
Keezer Slot #3 - Zombie Dust Clone
Keezer Slot #4 - Rye IPA

Old 11-08-2011, 12:18 PM   #33
Greghark
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

The amount you dilute by depends on how you devide to backsweeten. If you just use juice you'll dilute it more than adding apple juice concentrate. But you could also use a simple syrup using a small amount of water and sugar/dextrose/sucralose/whatever. You'll dilute things a little but it is easy to calculate what you final alcohol content will be.

Old 11-08-2011, 01:30 PM   #34
CidahMastah
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by barhoc11 View Post
If you are adding back in juice or whatever to backsweeten, aren't you actually watering/dilluting down the 7.3% abv that you had before you did so?
Yes.

This is why I make my draft cider to about 9% abv, then I dilute (because I use a double sweet unpasteurized cider as I described before). So I end up with a 6-6.5% ish cider depending on how much I add. I have made strong strong ciders before and find that I don't like it like that. Draft cider should be somehting you can drink all day IMO. I think 6% is perfect.

so in short I go about 9%, then about 2/3 hard cider and 1/3 sweet cider to make a 6% draft cider. Your taste buds will dictate how much you need to add though, it varies from batch to batch if I change the juice or the base hard cider.

Using the cider (or even concetrated AJ) vs. sugar will make a superior draft cider.

Steel rig in progress
ebuild info

Old 12-13-2011, 03:42 AM   #35
liteluvr
Recipes 

Just stumbled onto my first Woodchuck Amber tonight, and want more!
Love the above info... well laid out and easily understood.
Two questions....
1. What is the difference between still and kegged cider in your recipe? I assume still is uncarbonated, and the kegged is carbonated.... but sometimes I assume too much.

2. After racking to the 6.5 gal pail, I would assume I could let it clear for a period of days, re-rack again and add the sorbate and priming sugars, then direct to bottle and cap? I don't have a keg setup, and would rather bottle this into 12 or 20 oz bottles anyway, since that makes it easier to keep the garage fridge full.

Also, I'm a brew newbie (brewbie?) with only a couple of batches of beer and wine under my belt, so I'm learning the ropes.

Old 12-13-2011, 12:29 PM   #36
CidahMastah
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by liteluvr View Post
Just stumbled onto my first Woodchuck Amber tonight, and want more!
Love the above info... well laid out and easily understood.
Two questions....
1. What is the difference between still and kegged cider in your recipe? I assume still is uncarbonated, and the kegged is carbonated.... but sometimes I assume too much.
still is uncarbonated
Quote:
2. After racking to the 6.5 gal pail, I would assume I could let it clear for a period of days, re-rack again and add the sorbate and priming sugars, then direct to bottle and cap? I don't have a keg setup, and would rather bottle this into 12 or 20 oz bottles anyway, since that makes it easier to keep the garage fridge full.
if you add sugar back into this and bottle the only cider you can make is carbonated dry cider (no residual sugar) unless you pasteurize it like pappers method in the cider forum. Cider will always ferment dry unless it is super alcoholic. So you will add sugar and it may restart (likely) and they you will have bottles of cider blowing up in the refridge, or worse, in your face.

If you want carbed cider with residual sugar you either need to have 1. keg setup and sorbate and sulphite, or 2. patience, safety glasses and willingness to bottle pasteruize when the carb gets to where you like it.

Steel rig in progress
ebuild info

Old 12-13-2011, 07:26 PM   #37
liteluvr
Recipes 

Thanks for the response.
Looks like at this point in time, it'll be a still cider.
Not keen on flying shrapnel.

Old 12-13-2011, 08:35 PM   #38
CidahMastah
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Thanks for the response.
Looks like at this point in time, it'll be a still cider.
Not keen on flying shrapnel.
you can pasteurize relatively safely. Pappers gets consistent results every time. But some people have had bottles explode etc. I just thought it was safer to do it by kegging so I went for a system because I was more comfortable with that.

Check this out and decide for yourself. Pappers keeps up on the thread to answer questions
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f32/easy...g-pics-193295/

Steel rig in progress
ebuild info

Old 12-14-2011, 01:21 AM   #39
liteluvr
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CidahMastah View Post
you can pasteurize relatively safely. Pappers gets consistent results every time. But some people have had bottles explode etc. I just thought it was safer to do it by kegging so I went for a system because I was more comfortable with that.

Check this out and decide for yourself. Pappers keeps up on the thread to answer questions
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f32/easy...g-pics-193295/
Read almost the entire thread.... definitely feel comfortable pasteurizing using Papper's method. Going to re-read key parts and make sure I have the step by step in my head before I proceed.

Old 12-22-2011, 07:13 PM   #40
nukinfuts29
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Here's a question, and sorry if it has been covered:

I have this going right now. How is woodchuck back sweetening when they bottle? I want to bottle it, carbed, and am thinking about using splenda like with Apfelwein. I just want to maintain the great flavor.

My Recipes: Drunken Emu Hard Cider, Drunken Emu Mississippi River Water
The Jack Keller Collection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt_Kirks View Post
Patience, my Padawon. The yeast can sense your tension.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Maybe you want to educate yourself instead of just having a bunch of pre-conceived notions based on ignorance.

Quick Reply