Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Cider > My Cheap @$$ apple cider

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2007, 06:21 AM   #1
Grimsawyer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default My Cheap @$$ apple cider

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: leftover from white zin box kit
Batch Size (Gallons): 5
Original Gravity: 1.049
Final Gravity: .998
Boiling Time (Minutes): ZERO!!!
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 14
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): ZERO!!!

I just went down to WINCO and picked up the cheapest 100% apple juice that wasn't from concentrate and dumped it onto the yeast cake from my white zin wine box kit (on 6/21/07). Last night(7/3/07) I racked to a corny keg FROM THE PRIMARY(NO 2nd fermentation!!!) ADDED 1/2 TSP of APPLE PIE SPICE, then I force carbonated(rolled around on floor for an hour WITH the air on at 25 PSI) then bottled straight from the keg into 47 bottles(you know how testing goes... LOL!!! tough job but...... ) Tonight 24 of the 47 I took to a party just vanished... dunno what happened to them. They are just gone. Total cost INCLUDING the caps for this batch was $14.00. That made each bottle worth... $0.297872.... Lets round up to thrity cents per bottle. That's a buck eighty a six pack of 6.5% abv cider. It was just WAY too easy to drink. A bit tart, a bit sweet, just perfectly spiced. Absolute heaven! I urge everyone to do this at least once!!!!

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. They wake up in the morning and that's as good as they're going to feel all day." -Dean Martin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlyingBeer
...no sense hauling empty carboys around when full ones take up just as much space. :)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2007, 02:10 AM   #2
Krieger betrunkener
Recipes 

I'm new to this site/forum and fairly new to making ciders, I've only watched my bro turn empty carboys into magical cider.

I don't have anything for carbonating yet but I would like something to... uh... sample while my first serious batch is being made.

Question one is would this be a good cider un-carbonated, question two is what exactly is apple pie spice, and do you happen to know exactly what yeast you used (i have some steinberg-geisenheim left over from a blackberry wine I just made)?

Last edited by Krieger betrunkener; 09-26-2007 at 02:21 AM.

Old 09-26-2007, 03:50 AM   #3
ScubaSteve

Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimsawyer
I just went down to WINCO and picked up the cheapest 100% apple juice that wasn't from concentrate and dumped it onto the yeast cake from my white zin wine box kit....
Hey-

What kinda yeast did you use?

Old 09-26-2007, 09:15 PM   #4
Grimsawyer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

My first cider was just thrown on top of a yeast cake from a White Zin that I made for my hunny bunny. I made 2 off of this yeast cake. The 3rd cider I made I used 3068 Weihenstephan Weizen™ from WYeast. It turned out FAR SUPERIOR to the other 2 batches. The yeast stayed in suspension which dosn't bother me but it retained a TON of apple flavor compaired to the other 2. There wasn't much clove or bananna flavors like I had hoped though. =( The point of the first batch of cider I made is I had this yeast cake and thought it shouldn't go to waste. If someone is thinking about making a cheap ass cider why not just toss some apple cider right on any random yeast cake. in 2 weeks you'd have a 6.5%abv beverage for under $15.00!!!!!! IMHO it's just a realllly good hooch!!!

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. They wake up in the morning and that's as good as they're going to feel all day." -Dean Martin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlyingBeer
...no sense hauling empty carboys around when full ones take up just as much space. :)

Last edited by Grimsawyer; 09-26-2007 at 09:18 PM.
Celtic Likes This 
Old 09-16-2009, 04:34 PM   #5
elmetal
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Making this when my hefe is rCked next week

Old 11-24-2010, 12:36 PM   #6
txinga
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I wonder how this would go? I've got an American cream ale from kit just about ready to transfer fro primary. Transfer the cake to a smaller bucket and dump 3 gal of apple juice on it? I have a packet of wine yeast also but guess I wouldn't need it this case, huh?
txinga

Old 07-13-2011, 03:32 AM   #7
bjl110
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Just dump the juice straight on the cake huh? Almost seems too easy. Do you think I could wash my yeast as normal and still do this, or would I have to use the whole cake in order to get enough cells?

Thinking About: Oak Aged Stout, BDSA
Oh Lisa, you and your stories. Bart is a vampire, beer kills braincells. Now let's all go back to that ...building...thingy...where our beds and TV...is. - Homer

Old 07-14-2011, 06:16 PM   #8
Elweydoloco
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Hey guys,

Simple recipe that turns out great everytime. It has the tartness but not the BITE that woodchuck typically has.

I'm going to leave what yeast you want to use up to you as it alters the recipe.

I used Dry yeast in all types I've made though.

Ale yeast - Leaves a more mild less tart tast less carbonation.
Champagne Yeast - Much higher carbonation highest tartness bite
Hefe yeast - brings out the Bite without it being overbearing as the Champagne yeast can do.

I'm partial to Ale yeast as I don't like the extreme bite it kills the flavor in my mind.

5 gallons of Apple juice with no preservatives 100% Juice
2 lbs. of Brown sugar - This also kills the bite add corn syrup or white sugar to enhance bite
2 cans of frozen apple juice conentrate

Throw this all in your primary. That's right don't heat it up don't get our your kettle this is a cold mix. I recommend you throw the sugar, then the concentrate, then one gallone of juice sanitize your spoon and mix well. Then add another gallon and mix, mix as you add the other gallons. ACTIVATE YOUR YEAST!!!!! Throw 1 1/2 cups of warm water in a cup throw in the yeast cover with saran wrap. Wait 15 minutes for yeast to rehydrate. Throw in 1 tsp of sugar. Wait 30 minutes make sure it's bubbling.

Aerate your apple mixture in other words shake it! Pitch your yeast, cover it airlock it.

This does create a high Alcohol content cider as the more sugar you start with the more alcohol you end with typically. It's typically somewhere in the 8.5% range with the recipe above.

Try it it's ridiculously cheap and tastes great.

Old 07-17-2011, 03:43 AM   #9
aexe
Recipes 

Default Elweydoloco, question.

Elweydoloco,
How long are you fermenting and are you racking into a secondary? What about bottling? Sorry if these are stupid questions, I've never made cider before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elweydoloco View Post
Hey guys,

Simple recipe that turns out great everytime. It has the tartness but not the BITE that woodchuck typically has.

I'm going to leave what yeast you want to use up to you as it alters the recipe.

I used Dry yeast in all types I've made though.

Ale yeast - Leaves a more mild less tart tast less carbonation.
Champagne Yeast - Much higher carbonation highest tartness bite
Hefe yeast - brings out the Bite without it being overbearing as the Champagne yeast can do.

I'm partial to Ale yeast as I don't like the extreme bite it kills the flavor in my mind.

5 gallons of Apple juice with no preservatives 100% Juice
2 lbs. of Brown sugar - This also kills the bite add corn syrup or white sugar to enhance bite
2 cans of frozen apple juice conentrate

Throw this all in your primary. That's right don't heat it up don't get our your kettle this is a cold mix. I recommend you throw the sugar, then the concentrate, then one gallone of juice sanitize your spoon and mix well. Then add another gallon and mix, mix as you add the other gallons. ACTIVATE YOUR YEAST!!!!! Throw 1 1/2 cups of warm water in a cup throw in the yeast cover with saran wrap. Wait 15 minutes for yeast to rehydrate. Throw in 1 tsp of sugar. Wait 30 minutes make sure it's bubbling.

Aerate your apple mixture in other words shake it! Pitch your yeast, cover it airlock it.

This does create a high Alcohol content cider as the more sugar you start with the more alcohol you end with typically. It's typically somewhere in the 8.5% range with the recipe above.

Try it it's ridiculously cheap and tastes great.

Old 07-17-2011, 05:28 AM   #10
jguy898
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aexe View Post
Elweydoloco,
How long are you fermenting and are you racking into a secondary? What about bottling? Sorry if these are stupid questions, I've never made cider before.
Fermentation isn't something that you just rack off of in two weeks time, one weeks time, etc. etc., you simply watch and wait for the yeast to eat up all of the sugars in solution (unless you want 'original sugars sweetness', whole 'nother process), and then rack off of the lees, or trub, into secondary when they are finished up, or if you don't care about drinking an unclear cider or back-sweetening you can just bottle it straight out of primary.

What most would recommend is to rack into secondary when fermentation finishes, let it clear, and let it condition for around two months or until you are happy with the flavor and bottle 'er up. if you like it dry you can use some priming sugar, or substitute, and bottle carbonate. If you want a Sweet Carbonated cider you can always follow the 'pasteurization sticky' on the Cider Subforum. Bottle pasteurization will leave you unclear, sediment filled bottles (some don't mind this, and may even prefer it). You can also go the extensive / expensive route like I do and Cold Crash during the ferment at the the S.G. you want, wait for it to cold clear, rack to secondary, sulfite and sorbate and then use one of these Babies after keg carbonating. Perfectly Clear, sweet, sparkling, commercial (or better) quality Apple Cider in the bottles of your choice. I have a collection of very old 16 oz. claret shaped amber beer bottles that are very distinctive. Nice finishing touch to a good cider.

Hmmmm, I want a cider now!

Quick Reply