Johnny Jump Up Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After four days the SG went down to 1.014. Airlock activity is still around a bubble a second and there is a half inch white krausen. I've heard that some ciders can give off a 'rhino fart' smell, but assuming because this recipe uses yeast nutrient I am getting a sugary apple smell instead (which is much nicer).

I tried a sample of it at that point and was surprised that it still seemed sweet to me. It was also very tart at the same time which was overpowering. I am hoping that after this is all said and done that everything balances out.

Can I use acid blend instead of malic or tartaric acid? My LHBS only had the blend.

I think this recipe is a little too tart for me. I will let it age for another 6 months and post back with what I think of it then. I probably would suggest leaving out the malic acid if I were to try this recipe again. Because it is such a dry cider/wine, the tartness would probably shine through enough as it is.

I have a few quick questions. Do you have to move to secondary and could you just move to secondary in a corny keg. I am wanting to keg and forgo the bottling. I'm totally ok with a more dry cider, but my roommate swmbo may like it a little bit more if it was a tad bit more sweet.

I ended up letting it sit in the primary for a month, I don't think it will do too much to rack to a secondary. It is clearing up well in the bottles and there is not much yeast.

You left it in primary for a month? Maybe I could cold shock and then siphon all the top minus the crud. I can move to a secondary, but I figure less amount of o2 the better and a whole lot easier, since I'm lazy and all. I'm sort of new to brewing, I have been part of many many brews and have a pretty good knowledge, but more just gun shy. Don't want to waste!!

Yeah I've read that dead yeast won't affect flavor until about 2 months, so leaving it in the primary the whole time is fine. Secondary is important for lagers and other things that need to age for a long time so for those it's best to get it off the dead yeast.

And you're right, less O2 contact the better. Especially for cider.

I think this recipe is a little too tart for me. I will let it age for another 6 months and post back with what I think of it then. I probably would suggest leaving out the malic acid if I were to try this recipe again. Because it is such a dry cider/wine, the tartness would probably shine through enough as it is.

It is a bit tart early but after 12 months aging, it tastes really good.

Hi Gang

Everyone is talking about bottle aging this cider but has anyone kegged it? And if so at what pressure?

Cheers!

Back