Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Cider > Honey Peach Cider

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2013, 11:21 AM   #41
kstone803
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Man, walked into my garage last night and whew does it stink. Does Notty always have that strong sulphur/rotten cat smell?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2013, 12:44 PM   #42
KeyWestBrewing
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 431 Times on 349 Posts
Likes Given: 526

Sometimes yea. Just give it enough time to ferment out, floc out, and clean up and it should go away in a week or two.

EAC - 5/2/14

Growing Hops in Key West, FL....

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f92/casc...y-west-333466/

Primary : French Oak Muddy Waters Bourbon Chocolate Stout
Primary : Edicion Regionales Inglaterra
Primary : Oh My Darling Clementine Wheat
On Tap : Red, Wheat, and Blue, Muddy Waters Bourbon Chocolate Stout 2.0, Cayo Hueso Cream Ale, Atocha Amber

*Member: The HBT Sweaty Fat Guys Cigar club

Old 11-26-2013, 11:27 PM   #43
Greymen
Recipes 

KeyWestbrewing...
How sweet does this cider end up?? I started on a batch a few weeks ago. It's my first time making cider. My batch has been fermenting for about 3.5 weeks (it had a slow start). It is now in a secondary fermentor. I would like to clear it up a little. And potentially lager. Also, I was unable to get the Notty at my local supply store so I used Wyeast #4021 Pasteur Champagne. I would like my cider to have a bit of a peach flavor. Though, I'm afraid of using 2lbs of honey. I have created bottle bombs before with beer. Haha...it was just hard to enjoy that beer without creating a huge mess. Though, I'm definitely willing to pasteurize.

Old 11-26-2013, 11:39 PM   #44
KeyWestBrewing
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greymen
KeyWestbrewing...
How sweet does this cider end up?? I started on a batch a few weeks ago. It's my first time making cider. My batch has been fermenting for about 3.5 weeks (it had a slow start). It is now in a secondary fermentor. I would like to clear it up a little. And potentially lager. Also, I was unable to get the Notty at my local supply store so I used Wyeast #4021 Pasteur Champagne. I would like my cider to have a bit of a peach flavor. Though, I'm afraid of using 2lbs of honey. I have created bottle bombs before with beer. Haha...it was just hard to enjoy that beer without creating a huge mess. Though, I'm definitely willing to pasteurize.
With Notty the results are semi sweet. Not as dry as strongbow but not as sweet as woodchuck. Using a champagne yeast will give you very different results, mainly much drier. The juice and honey you backsweeten with are a huge part of the overall flavor so I wouldn't omit either. As long as you check a bottle a day then pasteurize you won't have any bottle bombs.

EAC - 5/2/14

On Tap : Red, Wheat, and Blue, Muddy Waters Bourbon Chocolate Stout 2.0, Cayo Hueso Cream Ale, Atocha Amber

Old 12-17-2013, 12:15 PM   #45
kstone803
Recipes 

So I bottled in 22oz bottles as christmas gifts for coworkers on Sunday night. Hoping it will carb up by Wed or Thur and I can deliver Monday. Still working on the label with a drunk elf/santa on it. Mine finished right at 1.000 on the dot. Started at 1.044 so I figure about 5.6% abv. I snuck a few tastes during bottling and it seems very promising. I left it in the primary for around 45 days and it bottled very clear. It may have helped that it was in my garage and the starting temp out there was around 67 but in the last 2 weeks it has been in the 50s. I'm looking forward to trying some more variations on this. Have you ever just racked out of the primary then dumped another batch on top of the yeast cake? Was thinking about that but have never done it before so I decided not to. Why ruin $25 in juice to save $2 in yeast.

Old 12-17-2013, 12:47 PM   #46
KeyWestBrewing
Recipes 

Sounds about right. From there I usually use 1L of juice to backsweeten which brings the ABV right around 5%. Glad to hear things seem promising for you.
I have just poured another batch on top of an old cake but I will note the amount of lees leftover from doing this makes me not do it anymore. It wont ruin anything but you lose some volume. Also FWIW washing the yeast from the lees won't work, save your time and just get a new pack of Notty.

EAC - 5/2/14

Old 12-18-2013, 12:28 PM   #47
kstone803
Recipes 

I opened one last night to check for any carbonation yet and it is a little sweet but I'm hoping it will mellow out. No carbing yet but I figured it would take 5-6 days anyways.

Old 12-18-2013, 01:11 PM   #48
KeyWestBrewing
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstone803 View Post
I opened one last night to check for any carbonation yet and it is a little sweet but I'm hoping it will mellow out. No carbing yet but I figured it would take 5-6 days anyways.
Usually its about day 4 in the bottle when I pasteurize... what day are you at? How sweet it turns out in the end depends on how much you backsweeten so that may not change at this point.

EAC - 5/2/14

Old 12-18-2013, 02:33 PM   #49
kstone803
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeyWestBrewing View Post
Usually its about day 4 in the bottle when I pasteurize... what day are you at? How sweet it turns out in the end depends on how much you backsweeten so that may not change at this point.
Only on day 2 last night, but I usually start checking after 48 hours, just in case. Yea I didn't measure the honey exactly as it was coming out of a 60lb bucket so I think I may have used one scoop too many. Was hoping the carbonation may eat some of the honey in the bottles but I don't know if it will be enough to make a discernible difference. Oh well, live and learn.

Old 12-18-2013, 02:52 PM   #50
KeyWestBrewing
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstone803 View Post
Only on day 2 last night, but I usually start checking after 48 hours, just in case. Yea I didn't measure the honey exactly as it was coming out of a 60lb bucket so I think I may have used one scoop too many. Was hoping the carbonation may eat some of the honey in the bottles but I don't know if it will be enough to make a discernible difference. Oh well, live and learn.
Thats how I usually do it as well. I'd rather open a bottle or two before its ready then let it overcarb and make it so I cant pasteurize. For honey I usually use a lb, I've used 2 in a 6 gal batch and it was way too sweet for me. Some of it ferments out but not even close to all of it. You'll find your wheelhouse after you make it a couple times.

EAC - 5/2/14

Quick Reply