Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Cider > Honey Peach Cider

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2013, 03:05 AM   #21
KeyWestBrewing
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 530 Times on 411 Posts
Likes Given: 645

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1013615
Hey all,

So I created this batch yesterday night using 5 gallons of (pasteurized) apple cider from a local orchard. 24 hours later, it's still not bubbling. There are a few bubbles an hour, but beyond that... nothing.

I wonder if the issue is with the cider or the yeast?

WHY CIDER? - it was fresh from the orchard and didn't have any added sugar. Should I add any sugar to get the fermentation going? Upon tasting the cider, it's super sweet so I imagined I wouldn't have to.

WHY YEAST? - Before pitching the yeast, I nuked a glass of water for 10 seconds in the microwave. I then mixed the yeast in and tossed it in my carboy with the cider. Do you think the water could've been too hot for the yeast? Additionally, the Carboy was full of juice that was heating up to room temperature from having been in the fridge. Was the cider too cold for the yeast?

Am I just panicking? Should I wait another couple of days? How fast did your fermentation process start?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for this wonderful recipe. I look forward to trying it soon.
It sounds like you may have killed most or all of the yeast when you mixed in the water. The gravity of the cider I use is exactly 1.050 so there's plenty sugar for the yeast to enjoy. You could take a gravity reading of the stuff you have if you have more to know your exact numbers. I'd grab another pack of yeast if it hasn't picked up by tomorrow.

EAC - 5/2/14

Growing Hops in Key West, FL....

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f92/casc...y-west-333466/

Primary : Mosaic Cream ale
Primary : Muddy Waters Bourbon Mocha Stout
Primary : London System Southern English Brown
On Tap : Pumpkin Pie Cider, Cash Rules Everything Around Me CREAM Ale, Edicion Regionales Inglaterra

*Member: The HBT Sweaty Fat Guys Cigar club

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2013, 09:08 PM   #22
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Hi, I apologize for so many questions. I had one more: Does it matter that it's Orange Blossom Honey? Does the flavor of the orange really come through? Can it be any organic honey?

Old 10-14-2013, 10:24 PM   #23
KeyWestBrewing
Recipes 

Quote:
Hi, I apologize for so many questions. I had one more: Does it matter that it's Orange Blossom Honey? Does the flavor of the orange really come through? Can it be any organic honey?
The kind of honey you use is a big part of the flavor. You can experiment with all kinds of stuff just try to make sure its good quality. I'm lucky enough to have a good local source for honey so I use that. The cheapy stuff at the grocery store doesn't taste very good.

EAC - 5/2/14

On Tap : Pumpkin Pie Cider, Cash Rules Everything Around Me CREAM Ale, Edicion Regionales Inglaterra

Old 10-22-2013, 11:54 PM   #24
Recipes 

I'm at 2 and a half weeks and am about to begin the bottling process. I hope this short amount of time in primary doesn't affect the taste. Everything I read online about cider says to have it in primary to 4-12 weeks!

Old 10-23-2013, 01:27 AM   #25
KeyWestBrewing
Recipes 

Quote:
I'm at 2 and a half weeks and am about to begin the bottling process. I hope this short amount of time in primary doesn't affect the taste. Everything I read online about cider says to have it in primary to 4-12 weeks!
I wouldn't move to bottle until fermentation has completely stopped and the yeast has settled. It usually takes 3-4 weeks.

EAC - 5/2/14

Old 10-23-2013, 04:24 AM   #26
Recipes 

Ah thank you so much. I was just going off of your original instructions of a little bit over 2 weeks before bottling.

Thank you as always.

Old 10-23-2013, 04:58 AM   #27
KeyWestBrewing
Recipes 

Quote:
Ah thank you so much. I was just going off of your original instructions of a little bit over 2 weeks before bottling.

Thank you as always.
No problem. Just gotta work on the yeasts schedule. Sometimes it finishes up a little quicker than others.

EAC - 5/2/14

Old 10-23-2013, 07:30 PM   #28
kstone803
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I picked up the Looza peach the other day and am starting this recipe Friday. Going to use some of the 60lb tub of Dutch Gold Orange Blossom Honey I have on hand. Hopefully I don't screw it up by changing anything like my berry cider

Old 10-23-2013, 08:32 PM   #29
KeyWestBrewing
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstone803
I picked up the Looza peach the other day and am starting this recipe Friday. Going to use some of the 60lb tub of Dutch Gold Orange Blossom Honey I have on hand. Hopefully I don't screw it up by changing anything like my berry cider
I've made a ton of variations of this recipe with different honeys and juices for back sweetening and as long as you use good quality stuff it should be fine.

EAC - 5/2/14

Old 10-25-2013, 11:46 PM   #30
jessiczar
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

This is one of the best ciders I've made yet! Waiting on it to bottle carb so I can pasteurize and then bottle condition, but I already love it just trying a sip from the bottling bucket. I let the brew go a little over 2 weeks because I'm more partial for dry ciders, but otherwise I stayed true to the recipe.

Quick Reply