Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Cider > Honey Peach Cider

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2013, 02:20 AM   #1
KeyWestBrewing
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 504 Times on 396 Posts
Likes Given: 619

Default Honey Peach Cider

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: Notty
Batch Size (Gallons): 6
Original Gravity: 1.05
Final Gravity: 1.008-1.010
Boiling Time (Minutes): none
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 14-17 @ 65f
Tasting Notes: Crisp, honey and apples with a peach finish

This is an incredibly easy, tasty, and cheap cider to make. Its become a big hit with everyone that's tried it at beer tasting events.

You get however many gallons of Publix brand Apple Cider you want to make, though this recipe is for 6 gallons. Add it to a sanitized carboy. I like to put 3 gallons in the freezer, one gallon in the fridge, and leave 2 gallons out. This way its already cold and I dont have to chill it before pitching. Once your close to 65f pitch your Notty and close it up. Thats it for a little over 2 weeks. Once its fermented and the yeast has settled out rack over to your bottling bucket. At this point you have a base for making almost any cider you can imagine. From experimenting I've found adding honey at bottling time really brings out the apple flavor. Ive also done variations using tart cherry juice, pear nectar, black cherry juice, guava nectar, and am currently working on a ginger version.

Once in the bottling bucket/keg, back sweeten with 1# of Orange Blossom honey and 1 bottle of Looza Organic Peach Nectar(34ozs). I heat the honey up in the microwave so its easier to get out of the bottle and mix into solution. This is just my preference of nectar to use but really you can just add to taste.

Once everything has been mixed in its ready to bottle up. At this point I open one up every other day to see when its carbed to where I like it. Usually it only takes 3-4 days. From there pasteurize all the bottles using the stove top method. Dont let the bottles get too carbed otherwise the pasteurizing process can be extremely dangerous. And you cant not pasteurize this recipe unless your kegging because all the sugar that was added at bottling will create bottle bombs. Now your ready to chill it and enjoy

EAC - 5/2/14

Growing Hops in Key West, FL....

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f92/casc...y-west-333466/

Primary : Mosaic Cream ale
Primary : Empty
On Tap : Pumpkin Pie Cider, Cash Rules Everything Around Me CREAM Ale, Edicion Regionales Inglaterra

*Member: The HBT Sweaty Fat Guys Cigar club

People Like This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2013, 06:51 PM   #2
benbernstein
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Can you explain a little more about the bottling portion. So you're saying that essentially instead of priming sugar the honey and nectar is doing that job. Why is it necessary to pasteurize. Still learning but this sounds good, thanks!!

Ben

Old 03-08-2013, 07:24 PM   #3
KeyWestBrewing
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbernstein
Can you explain a little more about the bottling portion. So you're saying that essentially instead of priming sugar the honey and nectar is doing that job. Why is it necessary to pasteurize. Still learning but this sounds good, thanks!!

Ben
Basically youve got it. The sugar from the honey and the nectar is actually way way more than you'd use to prime. So you have to pasteurize the bottles once they get carbed otherwise the yeast will keep going and create bottle bombs. If you add the honey and nectar while its still in the carboy it would all get fermented out and leave you a dry cider. By doing it the way Ive written you retain most of the sugar and flavor from the honey and nectar.
This recipe is rock solid, I actually just won my homebrew beer of the month comp with it 2 days ago. It's also very easy and takes minimal effort. I highly recommend giving it a go!!

EAC - 5/2/14

On Tap : Pumpkin Pie Cider, Cash Rules Everything Around Me CREAM Ale, Edicion Regionales Inglaterra

Old 03-08-2013, 11:29 PM   #4
benbernstein
Recipes 

I am really excited to try it. I'm going to give it a go as soon as my German Hef is out of my primary. Once it's in the secondary it will free up a carboy for me. Can you explain the pasteurizing process a little. If you don't want to elaborate that's cool I can look it up. Just wanted some first hand knowledge.

Ben

Old 03-08-2013, 11:38 PM   #5
benbernstein
Recipes 

Actually, just found that one of the MODS posted an enitre tutorial on the subject. Thanks much, I'll be doing this soon.

Old 03-09-2013, 12:50 AM   #6
KeyWestBrewing
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbernstein
Actually, just found that one of the MODS posted an enitre tutorial on the subject. Thanks much, I'll be doing this soon.
Yea the stove top pasteurization thread is where I learned how. It generally takes about 4 days until its ready to pasteurize. I forget how long the thread says to do it but I do.... X amount of bottles @ 150f for 10mins. Works like a charm.

Let me know when you get around to it, hope you enjoy!!

EAC - 5/2/14

Old 03-11-2013, 09:23 PM   #7
redrooster
Recipes 

how do you maintain your 65f fermentation temp in the keys

Old 03-12-2013, 03:52 AM   #8
KeyWestBrewing
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrooster
how do you maintain your 65f fermentation temp in the keys
I use a swamp cooler and keep it in front of my wall unit. Maybe rotate a few ice packs the first couple days. Works like a charm and my house has no insulation.

EAC - 5/2/14

Old 04-01-2013, 07:47 PM   #9
KeyWestBrewing
Recipes 

My LHBC did a homebrew comp fundraiser for Wildlife Rescue this past Thursday and I made this Honey Peach and a Black Cherry with Brazilian Pepper Honey. In 2 hours, a case of each was gone served in 3-4oz pours. They placed 2nd and 3rd in votes, had I entered only one it may have taken the top spot. Regardless, this recipe has proven itself both in quality and how drinkable it is. Make it and see how many people ask "wow you made this?" and "where can I buy this?"

EAC - 5/2/14

Old 04-04-2013, 05:40 PM   #10
benbernstein
Recipes 

Just got the cider and notty in the carboy. I was thinking about what you were saying about trying to add different flavors as opposed to the peach. My wife really really likes the berry burst cider at BJ's. Any idea what I could add to try and mimic that.

Ben

Quick Reply