Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Cider > Hard Cider

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2010, 02:44 PM   #11
pepper
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I have a batch of hard cider fermenting started from a very similar recipe to this-only my recipe called for only 5 lbs sugar, and it called for a couple more ingredients acid blend, grape tannin, pectic enzyme, yeast nutrient and champagne yeast.
Ask around about for local cider mills offering unpasteurized cider-I'm thinking its going to be a big improvement over store bought apple juice. I'm starting another batch today but I'm going to LHBS to buy this WL sweet mead yeast; I'll try and report back the difference.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2010, 01:41 PM   #12
CidahMastah
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I would avoid doctoring too much, but that is me. No problem in tossing in some tannin, etc. But I would leave out the pectin, and acid blend. The cider will clear fairly well on its own and it is more authentic. Don't put in acid blend.... use malic acid. Apples do not have any acid in them except for malic, Acid blend as three types.

be a scientist about your apple hooch - you can't go by 5 lbs sugar, a tsp this a tsp that. You need to measure your sugar values (O.G.) and check your PH if you want to replicate it. As a beginner it is probably better to leave the PH alone until bottle conditioning (unless the PH is 4.0 or above). If you want a wine styling go for 1.010, if you what a cider styling go for 1.067 ish. My advice would be to ferment dry and back sweeten as needed. There are some great books out there, and a lot of science to marry with the art. Let me know if you want some books to check out.

Build your cider from the ground up (press it) and you will see a huge difference.

Man,... That's a lotta hooch!
Steel rig in progress
ebuild info

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply