Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Cider > A great simple recipe

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2013, 06:14 PM   #81
wmubronco03
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by richlong8020
Sticking to the original recipe of 5 gal apple juice, 2 cans apple con, 24 oz lt brn sugar, cinnamon and Cote De Blanc yeast... What's the ABV? Is it at the 8-10% range.
I've never used the Cote De Blanc yeast so I can't answer that for you. In the original recipe I used Wyeast cider yeast.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2013, 03:25 AM   #82
richlong8020
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Ya in an earlier post someone mentioned that yeast produces a sweeter cider

Old 03-19-2013, 08:55 AM   #83
jetmech_63
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I did something similar to this, just tapped this weekend and Bazzzinga it is awesome....and idiot proof!

3 gallons tree top apple cider
2 gallons tree top apple juice
2lbs light brown sugar
4 teaspoons yeast nutrient
1 packet ec1118

I dumped 4 gallons of the juice into my sanitized primary, warmed remaining gallon in sanitized pot enough to dissolve sugar and nutrient then dumped that in. Sprinkled yeast on top. Had airlock activity 12 hours later. 2 weeks primary, 2 weeks secondary then racked to keg with 2.5 teaspoons potassium sorbate dissolved in a few tablespoons of distilled water. Added 3 cans frozen apple juice concentrate. Closed keg, purged O2, gave a shake to combine concentrate and cider then left on 10psi for 2 weeks. Simply awesome! Tastes like a slightly less sweet version of Angry Orchard cider. All my friends love it but you can't taste any of the almost 7% alcohol in it, be very carefule when drinking it!

Old 03-20-2013, 08:10 PM   #84
UnDeFiNeD_EK-808
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetmech_63 View Post
I did something similar to this, just tapped this weekend and Bazzzinga it is awesome....and idiot proof!

2lbs light brown sugar
1 packet ec1118

I dumped 4 gallons of the juice into my sanitized primary, warmed remaining gallon in sanitized pot enough to dissolve sugar and nutrient then dumped that in. Sprinkled yeast on top. Had airlock activity 12 hours later. 2 weeks primary, 2 weeks secondary then racked to keg with 2.5 teaspoons potassium sorbate dissolved in a few tablespoons of distilled water. Added 3 cans frozen apple juice concentrate. Closed keg, purged O2, gave a shake to combine concentrate and cider then left on 10psi for 2 weeks. Simply awesome! Tastes like a slightly less sweet version of Angry Orchard cider. All my friends love it but you can't taste any of the almost 7% alcohol in it, be very carefule when drinking it!
Hey do u have any gravity readings on this. Seriously thinking about making this.. Thanks in advance

Old 03-21-2013, 06:53 AM   #85
jetmech_63
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

SG 1.060 FG 1.005. Don't think, just do. I have another batch going and seriously can't keep this on tap longer than 2 weeks per batch. Each gallon of juice(I can only speak for tree top) came in at 1.50 even. EC-1118 works pretty darn fast and drops out to a clear cider equally fast. Never used Montrachet, but I'm a 100% believer in 1118. Used that yeast to do a hard Lemonade I just kegged tonight as well.

Old 03-21-2013, 07:00 AM   #86
Ostomo517
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 569 Times on 361 Posts
Likes Given: 184

Quote:
SG 1.060 FG 1.005. Don't think, just do. I have another batch going and seriously can't keep this on tap longer than 2 weeks per batch. Each gallon of juice(I can only speak for tree top) came in at 1.50 even. EC-1118 works pretty darn fast and drops out to a clear cider equally fast. Never used Montrachet, but I'm a 100% believer in 1118. Used that yeast to do a hard Lemonade I just kegged tonight as well.
I agree , just do it. Started on this recipe now bottling a apple berry variation and its a knockout!!! Weighs in at 9.5% , its a sweet cider panty dropper

Old 03-26-2013, 11:04 PM   #87
rgregoryirving
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

Hey guys! I'm fairly new to homebrewing. I got my equipment for Christmas and I've brewed two extract kits already.

I really had no idea what I wanted to do next when I had the idea to do a cider. So I started searching for a good recipe and reading all about it. Found this forum and specifically this thread, I am so excited!

I just put a half batch of this together (I wanted to try it out before putting twice the money into the juice to make sure it comes out well ). My LHBS doesn't carry Wyeast and recommended English Cider Yeast. My SG came in at 1.060, so I can't wait to let this baby ferment out and throw cinnamon sticks in later!

Old 03-29-2013, 04:36 PM   #88
mattsilf
Recipes 

Can I add k sorbate before I backsweeten and bottle this? Id rather have it as a still cider. Is that how that works?

Old 05-01-2013, 03:03 AM   #89
OzzyBrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:

2lbs light brown sugar
1 packet ec1118

Would the 3 cans of frozen AJ backsweeten and work as yeast food for bottle conditioning?

Old 05-03-2013, 04:55 PM   #90
Blayzze
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyBrew View Post
Would the 3 cans of frozen AJ backsweeten and work as yeast food for bottle conditioning?
I have basically the same question. I am prepared to backsweeten, prime and bottle this OP's recipe. I've had 4.5 gallons sitting in my secondary for 7 weeks of what I hope to be along the dry/sweet lines of Angry Orchard's Crisp Apple only with an ABV kick. I would like to up the sweetness a bit and carb and pasteurize stove top.

My question is can I use 2 cans of Apple Juice Concentrate to backsweeten PLUS the 3/4 cup corn sugar to 2 cups of water to prime? Or should I ONLY rely on one or the other to make a nice fizzy delicious bottle as opposed to bottle bombs?

I'd appreciate any input! Thanks!

Quick Reply