Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Cider > A great simple recipe

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2013, 04:04 PM   #71
MarcusKillion
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 106

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ostomo517 View Post
Heres how it turned out, never ended up pasturizing because it didnt really carb up. I only used one can of concentrate to backsweeten so possibly not enough sugar? Possibly could have used a little corn sugar as well, AH no matter its absolutely yummy. The fiancee is demanding this always be in the pipeline.

Attachment 98965
Personally I was thinking campden tablets and no carbonation or pasteurizing . Carbonated wine ???? not for me . But that looks quite tasty . Nice and clean .

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2013, 04:13 PM   #72
Ostomo517
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 575 Times on 364 Posts
Likes Given: 184

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusKillion View Post

Personally I was thinking campden tablets and no carbonation or pasteurizing . Carbonated wine ???? not for me . But that looks quite tasty . Nice and clean .
I actually did end up needing to pasturize a few days later, its not wine its hard cider which was backsweetened so it has to be pasturized to avoid bottle bombs.

Old 02-11-2013, 01:24 PM   #73
wmubronco03
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snophox
little help.........
i've been checking the stores for apple cider. i found some all natural, not from concentrate. says no preseratives but the label says contain molic acid (vitamin C) will that throw off the reciepe? other question...i see someone in the post used Mott, and someone else used unfiltered cider from a mill. ones clear and light and one is cloudly and thick. it's ok to use either?
I've used natural apple juice (the cloudy bottled stuff in the store), Motts and cider mill fresh pressed cider (it was UV pasteurized so no need for Camden tabs). All three came out fine although I did find the Motts was a bit sharp from the vitamin C. I back sweetened that batch to counter that and it came out great. Oh and I used a yeast nutrient for the Motts as well. The others always came out great without it (although it wouldn't hurt to give the yeast a little help).

Old 02-12-2013, 03:22 AM   #74
MarcusKillion
Recipes 

Quote:
I actually did end up needing to pasturize a few days later, its not wine its hard cider which was backsweetened so it has to be pasturized to avoid bottle bombs.
I see .. I will have to look up the difference in hard cider / wine . still sounds tasty to me

Old 02-12-2013, 03:34 AM   #75
Ostomo517
Recipes 

Quote:

I see .. I will have to look up the difference in hard cider / wine . still sounds tasty to me
Well if you do want it uncarbed you can just let it totally ferment out bottle and drink as is without backsweetening and it would be fine. I had it before I sweetened and I think you would end up with that wine flavor your after.

Old 02-12-2013, 03:56 AM   #76
wmubronco03
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusKillion

In my experience with this recipe, or at least early versions of it, using champagne yeast imparted the most "wine like" flavor. I would imagine that hold true for most of the wine yeasts. I have since used the commercial cider yeasts and prefer their flavor. The difference, at least to my mind, between apple wine and apple cider is a lower ABV in hard cider and the amount of aging. Is that exact? Not at all. Some ciders need to be aged for a year and have an ABV higher then wine. It's just a simplified definition that is a basic guide.

Old 02-12-2013, 05:03 AM   #77
Ostomo517
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmubronco03 View Post

In my experience with this recipe, or at least early versions of it, using champagne yeast imparted the most "wine like" flavor. I would imagine that hold true for most of the wine yeasts. I have since used the commercial cider yeasts and prefer their flavor. The difference, at least to my mind, between apple wine and apple cider is a lower ABV in hard cider and the amount of aging. Is that exact? Not at all. Some ciders need to be aged for a year and have an ABV higher then wine. It's just a simplified definition that is a basic guide.
Oh Im glad you brought this up, I forgot to mention I used Red Star Côte de Blancs white wine yeast so yeah I did have that wine mouthfeel and taste before backsweetening.

Old 02-13-2013, 09:00 PM   #78
MarcusKillion
Recipes 

Quote:
Well if you do want it uncarbed you can just let it totally ferment out bottle and drink as is without backsweetening and it would be fine. I had it before I sweetened and I think you would end up with that wine flavor your after.
when I make dandelion wine I drink it as soon as it is fermented good . Tastes great for about a month and then starts getting an alcohol taste without the rest.

Old 02-13-2013, 09:08 PM   #79
Ostomo517
Recipes 

Quote:

when I make dandelion wine I drink it as soon as it is fermented good . Tastes great for about a month and then starts getting an alcohol taste without the rest.
I definately recommend the same with this, some say age it but I love how it is now without aging. On the brink of having to make another batch soon.

Old 03-03-2013, 08:03 PM   #80
richlong8020
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Sticking to the original recipe of 5 gal apple juice, 2 cans apple con, 24 oz lt brn sugar, cinnamon and Cote De Blanc yeast... What's the ABV? Is it at the 8-10% range.

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS