Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Cider > A great simple recipe

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2013, 02:10 AM   #31
wmubronco03
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin0782
This sounds like a really easy way to get into making cider. I'm going to try this as my first. I will probably omit the sugar though to bring down the ABV some. Will it still get down to 1.002? Does brown sugar add much flavor in the final product that I would be missing out on?
The brown sugar does add some residual flavor but I think it should be fine without, I omitted it in my current batch so I guess I'll be finding out fry self soon enough. The Wyeast cider yeast will still finish out dry no matter where it starts. Without some of the residual unfermentable sugars from the brown sugar I would say it might get even drier. Enjoy and I hope it works out for you.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 03:22 AM   #32
Robin0782
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Thanks for the reply. Being used to 5-6 hour days all-grain brewing, this is going to feel way too easy! I love making beer, but sometimes I just don't feel like it!

Old 01-11-2013, 07:17 PM   #33
wmubronco03
Recipes 

I feel the same way. I'm just too busy right now and I'm still sung by a bad batch. It's been a nice break.

Old 01-12-2013, 07:28 PM   #34
Robin0782
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I decided to just do a 1 gallon test batch using some S-04 ale yeast I had on hand. Looking around the forums it sounded like a good choice for me, since I don't really care for wine flavors, more of a beer person. Plus I already had a packet in the fridge that I didn't know what to do with. I used 1/3 of the brown sugar from the original recipe, scaled down. OG seems kinda low at 1.052. But, that actually suits me if it's correct. I did swirl the jug around pretty good, so it should be. Should end up around 6.5% ABV if it ferments to 1.002 which is perfect.

Old 01-14-2013, 03:36 AM   #35
richlong8020
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Just a thought but aren't ciders typically higher in ABV. Is that why we make them? Or is it really for something else to make in place of beer.

Old 01-14-2013, 07:59 PM   #36
wmubronco03
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by richlong8020
Just a thought but aren't ciders typically higher in ABV. Is that why we make them? Or is it really for something else to make in place of beer.
I would say that there is a wide variety in ABV. And as far as something to make in place of beer I would point out that a lot of people only make wine and cider. We make them because we like them and because historically barley and hops weren't always available. It was a way of preserving a crop before it rotted and of giving people something to drink in areas with bad water.

Old 01-15-2013, 05:35 AM   #37
FlavorHound
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I'm thinking about trying a simple cider recipe similar to the one here, but trying a Czech Pils yeast. Good or bad idea? Why?

Old 01-15-2013, 05:36 PM   #38
sirpilsofd
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcam91 View Post
Ya it shouldn't be a problem. Either prime with corn sugar or applejuice concentrate. Highly recommend corn sugar. Yeast should be still active enough to carb. Add 3/4cup corn sugar to two cups water to prime bottling bucket. Bottle and check them every day or so till you find a good carb. Then stovetop pasteurize (there is a thread for it). Read that thread thoroughly. Its an easy process but can be dangerous if done incorrectly.
I'm still a total n00b at brewing, but 3/4 of a cup of corn sugar seems like a sure fire way to get bottle bombs. I've only ever used a few oz of sugar to carb. Has anyone else actually bottled this? How much sugar did you use?

Old 01-15-2013, 08:06 PM   #39
Ostomo517
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 574 Times on 363 Posts
Likes Given: 184

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlavorHound View Post
I'm thinking about trying a simple cider recipe similar to the one here, but trying a Czech Pils yeast. Good or bad idea? Why?
I would just make sure you know the flavor tendencies of the yeast are, Im doing this recipe this week with Red Star Côte de Blanc because I want it a little on the sweeter side.

Old 01-16-2013, 01:20 PM   #40
wmubronco03
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirpilsofd

I'm still a total n00b at brewing, but 3/4 of a cup of corn sugar seems like a sure fire way to get bottle bombs. I've only ever used a few oz of sugar to carb. Has anyone else actually bottled this? How much sugar did you use?
3/4 cup of corn sugar is the standard way to bottle 5 gallons of Homebrew. It really isn't much when you spread it out over 5 gallons. It's only 4oz.

Quick Reply