Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Cider > A great simple recipe

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2013, 03:05 AM   #101
Ostomo517
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 575 Times on 364 Posts
Likes Given: 184

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetmech_63 View Post
Just finished another cider!

3 gallons Tree Top apple juice
2 Gallons Tree Top Apple Cider
1 LB corn sugar
5 tsp yeast nutrient
1 pkg EC-1118

Put all of that into primary, combined well, let sit for 2 weeks primary, 1 week secondary. Then into keg with 1.5 Tbsp Potassium Sorbate. Chilled overnight. Following day added 2.5 cans frozen Old Orchard Berry Blend(found at Walmart). Carbed in keg for a week, and viola! Raspberry apple Cider!! Tastes phenomenal and made it for right about $21.00! I can't stress how awesome this tastes! And so easy!
Does it have a "winey" aftertaste?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2013, 10:17 PM   #102
markus2982
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Just bottled up my cider after sitting with blueberries for about 2 1/2 weeks. Tastes young but good at this point. It will carb up and age now.

Funny story...found out I didn't have enough caps while bottling. Ended up with 45 12 oz bottles and 4 22 oz flip tops. Decided to drink a bit and then just dumped the rest.

Old 06-17-2013, 12:41 PM   #103
jetmech_63
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ostomo517

Does it have a "winey" aftertaste?
Coming out of secondary it did a little but that goes away after a week or so in the keg. I let all my ciders and beers carb for 2 weeks before tapping the keg anyway. EC-1118 is a good yeast like that.

Old 06-17-2013, 12:47 PM   #104
jetmech_63
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by millsbrew
Just threw this into a 5 gallon carboy 2 days ago. This is my first cider. My OG was closer to 1.080. Maybe Costco upped the sugars in the juice.

I've got a good amount of bubbles in the blow off. But there is no krausen.

My questions:
1 - is a lack of krausen normal with ciders? I don't see any mold and it's fermenting in a tub at 66 degrees.
2 - can Nottingham yeast take that high of an alcohol content? Seems like it

Thanks all.
1.080? Wow, what juice were you using? Most commercial juices top out at 1.050(translation: I wanna buy some ). Lack of krausen is normal. Ocadsionally I'll get just a tiny thin layer of foam but more often than not I just get airlock activity. Nottingham should be able to eat a 1.080, may take a while though. If it gets stuck or won't get down to where you want it, throw in a package of EC-1118, that'll finish it off. A little yeast nutrient never hurts either
Old 06-17-2013, 01:53 PM   #105
millsbrew
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetmech_63 View Post
1.080? Wow, what juice were you using? Most commercial juices top out at 1.050(translation: I wanna buy some ). Lack of krausen is normal. Ocadsionally I'll get just a tiny thin layer of foam but more often than not I just get airlock activity. Nottingham should be able to eat a 1.080, may take a while though. If it gets stuck or won't get down to where you want it, throw in a package of EC-1118, that'll finish it off. A little yeast nutrient never hurts either
Thanks for the reply. I used 4 gallons of Costco brand natural apple juice with the 2 pounds of sugar. It's still fermenting away like mad. I plan to give it 3 weeks in the primary before checking SG again. Thanks for the tip on adding EC-1118 or some yeast nutrient. Hopefully they won't be necessary.

Old 07-03-2013, 01:32 AM   #106
millsbrew
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Likes Given: 5

I still have a good amount of bubbles going in my blow off after 3.5 weeks. Is it worth adding more yeast or some yeast nutrients? I was also thinking of adding pectic to clear it. I don't have a thief so it is not easy to test SG at this time.

Thanks in advance.

On Tap: Belgian Dubbel, Cinco De Spice-o, and Dry Cider
Primary: West Coast IPA

Old 07-04-2013, 10:15 PM   #107
hunter006
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Use a baister. You know one of those things you use to keep your sunday roast nice and moist.
Works for me and there cheap.

Or just chuck the hydrometer into the mix.

Old 07-08-2013, 03:11 PM   #108
markus2982
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Just FYI...I varied the recipe a bit. Added a third can on concentrate for more apple taste and put blueberries in the secondary instead of cinnamon sticks. Turned out awesome. My bro in law(brew partner) really liked it and he hates ciders.

On a side note it will sneak up on you FAST.

Old 07-26-2013, 10:33 PM   #109
jdboes
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

I am new to cider and will be trying this recipe this weekend. My question is if I follow the original recipe (below) and want to keg it should I use a campden tab to kill yeast before I back sweeten it? Also should I add this before or after I add the cinnamon sticks? I am thinking of trying to use a combination of concentrate and a little honey to back sweeten. I will then keg and carbonate I just don't want to kick off fermentation again in the keg. Any advice is appreciated thanks!

5 gal apple juice - local super market has organic stuff on sale this weekend
2 can concentrate
24 oz light Brown sugar
wyeast- I have 4021 their cider yeast
1-2 cinnamon sticks- in secondary

Old 07-27-2013, 02:44 PM   #110
OREUS
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdboes View Post
I am new to cider and will be trying this recipe this weekend. My question is if I follow the original recipe (below) and want to keg it should I use a campden tab to kill yeast before I back sweeten it? Also should I add this before or after I add the cinnamon sticks? I am thinking of trying to use a combination of concentrate and a little honey to back sweeten. I will then keg and carbonate I just don't want to kick off fermentation again in the keg. Any advice is appreciated Thanks!
After fermentation was complete, I cold crashed for 24 hours, then used potassium sorbate to stop new fermentation, then backsweeten after that. Good luck!

Quick Reply