Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Cider > A great simple recipe

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2012, 03:12 PM   #1
wmubronco03
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts

So I've made this 3 times now and I just love the flavor, and high alcohol.

5 gallons apple juice (pasteurized)
2 cans of apple juice concentrate
24 oz of light brown sugar
Wyeast cider yeast
1-2 cinnamon sticks

I melt the sugar into the concentrate and bring it up to 180 degrees. Dump the juice and the sugar/concentrate into the fermenter. Stir it all together, top with the yeast. Usual o.g.-1.070. Usual f.g.- 1.002. Transfer to a secondary, a week before I keg I drop in the cinnamon sticks. A week later I transfer to a keg. Carb it up and enjoy!

Edit: I've used UV pasteurized from a cider mill and the Costco unfiltered "natural" cider, both came out great.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2012, 08:37 PM   #2
diptherunner
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts

What's the taste like? Does it retain any of the sweetness or is it dry? Any commercial comparables? I have the wyeast cider yeast in the mail as we speak and I am looking for a cider recipe. Your looks good. Did you crash the fermentation or let it go? Have you tried bottling it?

Old 09-25-2012, 09:33 PM   #3
wmubronco03
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by diptherunner
What's the taste like? Does it retain any of the sweetness or is it dry? Any commercial comparables? I have the wyeast cider yeast in the mail as we speak and I am looking for a cider recipe. Your looks good. Did you crash the fermentation or let it go? Have you tried bottling it?
It's dry and has a nice apple cinnamon taste with some warmth from the alcohol @ 8.75%. I recently had a comparable cider but I just can't seem I remember its name. It was one I wasn't familiar with. I didn't crash it, I let it ferment all the way out as I don't like sweet cider as much as dry cider. I've never bottled it using this yeast. I bottled an earlier version that used champagne yeast, but didn't like the flavor the yeast imparted. If I can remember that cider I'll post it for you.
Old 09-25-2012, 10:04 PM   #4
diptherunner
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts

Thanks! I Appreciate all the help. It seems pretty straight forward. I wonder if I can dial the abv (gasp) back by reducing the apple concentrate. That way i could have a few, and SWMBO will be happy. Have you ever tried adding 1 gallon of pear or other juice to this?

Old 09-25-2012, 10:09 PM   #5
wmubronco03
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by diptherunner
Thanks! I Appreciate all the help. It seems pretty straight forward. I wonder if I can dial the abv (gasp) back by reducing the apple concentrate. That way i could have a few, and SWMBO will be happy. Have you ever tried adding 1 gallon of pear or other juice to this?
I would lose some of the brown sugar first. The apple concentrate helps keep an apple flavor. I've never added pear just but I plan on it soon. Oh, and remembered the name of the cider- its by Vandermils. It's a small company out of western Michigan. It was a little sweeter then mine but it had the same "twang"

http://www.vandermill.com/hardcidermill.html
Old 10-01-2012, 06:03 PM   #6
k00k
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Can you give us an idea as to the length of time the various stages (first ferment, rack, keg) took?

Old 10-01-2012, 10:36 PM   #7
wmubronco03
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by k00k
Can you give us an idea as to the length of time the various stages (first ferment, rack, keg) took?
2 weeks primary
1 week is minimum in the secondary. Better is a couple months and then toss in the cinnamon sticks a week before kegging.
Keg and carb
Old 10-03-2012, 08:17 PM   #8
timcadieux
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 26

I'm a complete newb so please forgive me if this is out of place, but can this be bottled?

Fermenting - 10g Galaxy Pale Ale
Kegged - Raging Red Irish Ale, Black Widow Kolsch
On Deck - Captain Hooked on bitters ESB
On Tap - Revvy's Leffe Blonde Clone, Founders Porter Clone

Sinestro Likes This 
Old 10-04-2012, 05:18 PM   #9
jcam91
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts

Ya it shouldn't be a problem. Either prime with corn sugar or applejuice concentrate. Highly recommend corn sugar. Yeast should be still active enough to carb. Add 3/4cup corn sugar to two cups water to prime bottling bucket. Bottle and check them every day or so till you find a good carb. Then stovetop pasteurize (there is a thread for it). Read that thread thoroughly. Its an easy process but can be dangerous if done incorrectly.

Brew on folks!

Sinestro Likes This 
Old 10-05-2012, 04:27 AM   #10
wmubronco03
Recipes 

I really don't think the stove pasteurizing is necessary. The cider is fully fermented out and you're only adding enough sugar to carb not to back sweeten. Bottle bombs are always a rare possibility but no more then a regular beer.

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS