Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Cider > Great Dry Sparkling Cider

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2012, 08:51 PM   #31
Orerockon
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

One more quick question...if I use the carbonation drops, do I also need to add yeast? If so then how do I do that? Maker a starter then add a drop or whatever to the bottles? Does it matter how much yeast I add? Reading the package, I get the impression that they assume you still have live yeast in the bottles. If my priming yeast was already dead as I am pretty sure is the case, then I have no carbonation, is that right? I looked at the package and yeast isn't in the ingredients.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2012, 08:53 PM   #32
TheGreatReverend
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Ask where you get the tabs, but I'm pretty sure it is its own chemical reaction, no yeast involved.

Old 05-03-2012, 10:40 PM   #33
Orerockon
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well I got them on Amazon and they don't have instructions beyond dosing. From hunting around it looks like they are just sugar. That's why I asked about adding yeast, although I am still not 100% positive that is how they work. Thinking about it some more, since I already primed with honey at the rate recommended in this thread, maybe I should just add some yeast and see what happens?

Old 05-03-2012, 10:55 PM   #34
TheGreatReverend
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Wow, all the links I saw read that it's just predosed priming sugar. I wonder what I had...
Yup, if the yeast isn't alive, you'll need some to eat the sugar.

Old 02-19-2013, 11:17 PM   #35
Echo2112
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Man, I leave a thread for a while and look what happens!

Glad everybody liked this cider - I just did another batch on Friday to try and keep my supply levels up.

I found a few bottles that had been aging for 8 months - a couple other boxes were put over them and I kind of forgot they were there. I popped one in the fridge and then opened it up - damn tasty!

I am trying to hide the rest from the wife. She'll kill those things off in record time if I let here know they were available.

I need to work on my brewing to drinking ratio. My production has not been keep pace with demand.

Old 07-02-2013, 09:58 PM   #36
bagels
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echo2112 View Post
Had been wanting to do a nice dry cider, with noticeable apple notes to it, but not too much sweetness. This was a very simple recipe to put together, the key is to give this time to age, it can be less than pleasant the first month in the bottles. If you give it time, and wait 3 to 4 months, you will have an absolute stunner.

5 Gallons unfiltered Organic Apple Cider (from grocery store)
2 lbs local wildflower honey

1 tube White Labs #WLP775 Dry English Cider yeast
5 tsp Fermax yeast nutrient

OG 1.050
FG.996
ABV 7.04%

Beersmith put the SRM at 6.0, but I really feel that it is closer to a 3 or 4.

After sanitizing, I put the Cider right into the primary fermenter, no heating or boiling at all.

Warm the honey in about 2 cups of hot (150F) water to liquefy it, and add the Fermax to the honey / water mix. Don't boil the honey!

Let the honey mix cool a bit, and then add it to the primary. Pitch your yeast on top. When I did this, I did not use a starter, so it took several days for fermentation to kick off. Next time I will make a 1000mL starter. Shake the baby like mad to aerate!

Let sit on primary for 2 weeks. Rack into secondary for 1 week to clarify and let things settle out. I then racked into a bottling bucket, added in priming sugar and then into flip top bottles.

After 4 months, this is probably the best cider I have ever had. Beats Woodchuck and Ace all to hell. I was trying to copy the Samuel Smith Organic Cider and I would have to say that I am more than happy with what I have here.

Samuel Smith uses a wine yeast in the cider they make, but the White Labs I used worked wonderfully. Same crisp light flavor, dry, but not overly so.

I am going to get another batch of this going this week, after getting into several bottles this weekend, and having some friends and in-laws over, my stock is dwindling.
What kind of bottles are you using for this recipe?

Old 07-02-2013, 10:19 PM   #37
Echo2112
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I was using flip top bottles at the time, but I am kegging now.

I need to work on my brewing to drinking ratio. My production has not been keep pace with demand.

Old 08-26-2013, 08:52 PM   #38
brewman007
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echo2112 View Post
Had been wanting to do a nice dry cider, with noticeable apple notes to it, but not too much sweetness. This was a very simple recipe to put together, the key is to give this time to age, it can be less than pleasant the first month in the bottles. If you give it time, and wait 3 to 4 months, you will have an absolute stunner.

5 Gallons unfiltered Organic Apple Cider (from grocery store)
2 lbs local wildflower honey

1 tube White Labs #WLP775 Dry English Cider yeast
5 tsp Fermax yeast nutrient

OG 1.050
FG.996
ABV 7.04%

Beersmith put the SRM at 6.0, but I really feel that it is closer to a 3 or 4.

After sanitizing, I put the Cider right into the primary fermenter, no heating or boiling at all.

Warm the honey in about 2 cups of hot (150F) water to liquefy it, and add the Fermax to the honey / water mix. Don't boil the honey!

Let the honey mix cool a bit, and then add it to the primary. Pitch your yeast on top. When I did this, I did not use a starter, so it took several days for fermentation to kick off. Next time I will make a 1000mL starter. Shake the baby like mad to aerate!

Let sit on primary for 2 weeks. Rack into secondary for 1 week to clarify and let things settle out. I then racked into a bottling bucket, added in priming sugar and then into flip top bottles.

After 4 months, this is probably the best cider I have ever had. Beats Woodchuck and Ace all to hell. I was trying to copy the Samuel Smith Organic Cider and I would have to say that I am more than happy with what I have here.

Samuel Smith uses a wine yeast in the cider they make, but the White Labs I used worked wonderfully. Same crisp light flavor, dry, but not overly so.

I am going to get another batch of this going this week, after getting into several bottles this weekend, and having some friends and in-laws over, my stock is dwindling.
I started your recipe 2 weeks ago. The airlock is still bubbling every minute or so. Do I wait for the bubbles to stop or just rack it to second fermenting carboy now.

Old 08-26-2013, 08:57 PM   #39
Echo2112
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well, your call really. If you rack now your fermentation will slow down or stop so you may have some residual sweetness to it from unfermented sugars. Depends on how dry you want it.

I might give it a few more days to see what it does, and then rack out.

Old 10-16-2013, 05:51 PM   #40
Orerockon
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewman007 View Post
I started your recipe 2 weeks ago. The airlock is still bubbling every minute or so. Do I wait for the bubbles to stop or just rack it to second fermenting carboy now.
It ill take longer at lower temps. White Labs is supposed to work best at temps of high 60s to low 70s F. I have used this recipe and after a primary in the kitchen I racked off and moved the carboy to my workroom which is unheated, but remains in the 50s-60 in the fall when I press my apples and make hard cider. It wasn't finished at that time which is what you are after. That is the way to make "real" English cider, and it's best if you run the fermentation until it is completely finished.

I let mine sit for weeks in the cooler temps before I did a malolactic conversion to squeeze the final sugars from the cider and get what I was after, a very dry and crisp English style sparkling cider (see my previous post). Then a couple months after that. That was way longer than necessary but it does have the advantage of aging the brew before it's bottled.

To update my previous attempt, I did get decent carbonation after adding a carb tablet (which as far as I can tell is just corn sugar anyway) and champagne yeast. It was nice after a few months in the bottle, very nice after 6 months, and outstanding after a year. No off flavors, almost no aftertaste, very crisp and very dry. If you like American style sweet cider then the original post is probably all you need to do. I wish I had time to make another batch last fall so I could have adjusted it then

I'll try using a starter with the champagne yeast to bottle this time around, since after the conversion theoretically you have no or just a tiny amount of live yeast and I used champagne yeast that was too old, which I didn't realize at the time. I did 10 gallons of cider from my apples yesterday, and I'm starting the yeast in cider from this pressing as per White Lab's recommendation on their site. I'll be sure report back on this batch next year!

Quick Reply