Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Cider > Graham's English Cider

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2010, 10:13 PM   #81
inigomontoya
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I have one other question, I am finding both filtered and unfiltered cider at the store, I just wondered if someone had tried using the unfiltered for this recipe yet?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2010, 10:42 PM   #82
Freezeblade
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by inigomontoya View Post
I have one other question, I am finding both filtered and unfiltered cider at the store, I just wondered if someone had tried using the unfiltered for this recipe yet?
I've done it with unfiltered, it comes out about the same, if left long enough it all clears out in the end.
Aging:Public House Dry Stout, Procrastination Porter, Mr. Brown Ale, Westvleteren 12 Clone, Mead, Duvel Clone, Graham's English Cider 6-21, Belgian Draak Strong Ale, Fig Melomel, Acerglyn, Restorative Tonic Metheglyn

Old 03-21-2010, 01:47 PM   #83
inigomontoya
Recipes 

Well I went ahead and started this last night, ended up getting treetop sinced is was half the cost of the unfiltered. Bubbling away after 30 minutes and lots of nice activity this morning ( started last night). Looking forward to this, I just know now that I am going to have to go get another primary, since I am going to want to brew again in less than a month. Oh well

Old 04-03-2010, 10:33 PM   #84
robdenver
Recipes 

Taking the plunge with my first cider. Made a 1 gallon batch. Looking for to the Fall!

Old 04-12-2010, 05:23 AM   #85
Gremlyn
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 5

After much cajoling and berating from FreezeBlade, I've started a batch of this too! I'm using the WLP775, since it is supposed to leave the cider nice and apple-flavoured yet dry as is traditional. I can't wait (even though I have to).

Old 04-12-2010, 01:30 PM   #86
Coastarine
We get it, you hate BMC.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I tapped my second batch of this yesterday. I had 12oz of juice concentrate standing by to sweeten it like the last batch but to my surprise this batch does not need any sweetening. I usually like to sweeten because the cider is so tart, but this one is fantastic as-is. Furthermore, the yeast was pitched just one month ago. 3 weeks in primary and 1 week in the keg.

Next time I am going to add a pound of chopped raisins to the primary. I'm told they do good things for the body, flavor, and yeast health.

On Tap.........[The Munchner][Spiced Cider][English Cider][Simcoe IPA][Triple Hops Grooved][Cider'n 'gnac]

Old 04-12-2010, 05:01 PM   #87
Freezeblade
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastarine View Post
Next time I am going to add a pound of chopped raisins to the primary. I'm told they do good things for the body, flavor, and yeast health.
I suspect this is because raisins add tannins released from the skins. grape skins is where the tannins are in red wines and in commercial tannin production.
Aging:Public House Dry Stout, Procrastination Porter, Mr. Brown Ale, Westvleteren 12 Clone, Mead, Duvel Clone, Graham's English Cider 6-21, Belgian Draak Strong Ale, Fig Melomel, Acerglyn, Restorative Tonic Metheglyn

Old 04-12-2010, 06:40 PM   #88
Palefire
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Hey there - been checking this recipe for a while now, since i've been interested in making some cider and this one looks just right. Figure if I start it soon it'll be a perfect Christmas gift!

Anyway, if you don't mind, a few questions:

1) When fermenting, does this one krausen up, or does it only make small bubbles like Apfelwein? Just trying to figure out if I can do a 5-gallon batch in a 5-gallon bucket.

2) How long does fermentation usually take? I'll probably toss this one into my swamp cooler to make sure it doesn't get too hot; just want to know how long it'll be out of commission.

3) I'm assuming that, like beer, temp doesn't matter so much once fermentation is done. Correct?

Apologies for the newb-ness of the questions - first cider over here.

Thanks!

Old 04-12-2010, 09:06 PM   #89
Freezeblade
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palefire View Post
Hey there - been checking this recipe for a while now, since i've been interested in making some cider and this one looks just right. Figure if I start it soon it'll be a perfect Christmas gift!

Anyway, if you don't mind, a few questions:

1) When fermenting, does this one krausen up, or does it only make small bubbles like Apfelwein? Just trying to figure out if I can do a 5-gallon batch in a 5-gallon bucket.

2) How long does fermentation usually take? I'll probably toss this one into my swamp cooler to make sure it doesn't get too hot; just want to know how long it'll be out of commission.

3) I'm assuming that, like beer, temp doesn't matter so much once fermentation is done. Correct?

Apologies for the newb-ness of the questions - first cider over here.

Thanks!
1. it really depends on the yeast used, I've had ones that krausen up like crazy (wlp037, wlp005, WLP400 off hand) and ones that didn't that much, (any wine yeast, lager yeasts, some ale yeasts). this being said though, I've had the same yeasts that didn't have much krausen one time krausen all over the place other times. TLDR version; shouldn't too much, but keep a blow-off handy.

2. Granted proper yeast nutrient, the bulk of fermentation should be over in a week at proper temps (in the ale range). if you keep it really cold it will obviously take much longer and maybe stall out.

3. To a point the temp after the bulk of fermentation temps won't matter. I say to a point meaning room temp will be fine (I actually ferment my ciders at room-temp-ish, 72F) but if you get upper 80's or 90's there will probably be issues.

Old 04-14-2010, 03:17 PM   #90
soccernut
Recipes 

I started a batch of this the other day. I wanted to keep it all organic and the store was out of organic limes so I used lemon. That should not mess with anything right?

Quick Reply