Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Cider > Graham's English Cider

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2010, 07:26 PM   #71
beerisgood
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

All I have on hand is champagne yeast. Will that work?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2010, 11:10 PM   #72
Coastarine
We get it, you hate BMC.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

It will be different (and dry) but tasty.

On Tap.........[The Munchner][Spiced Cider][English Cider][Simcoe IPA][Triple Hops Grooved][Cider'n 'gnac]

Old 01-27-2010, 01:23 AM   #73
Freezeblade
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerisgood View Post
All I have on hand is champagne yeast. Will that work?
Champagne yeast will dry out this cider even more, and will probably take longer to age out, ending up tasting more like wine than cider. I really suggest waiting for a bit and get some ale yeast, you'll be waiting quite a bit for it to ferment/age so why not wait a few days and pick up some ale yeast.

Course, It'll still be tasty, just different, as Coastarine said.
Aging:Public House Dry Stout, Procrastination Porter, Mr. Brown Ale, Westvleteren 12 Clone, Mead, Duvel Clone, Graham's English Cider 6-21, Belgian Draak Strong Ale, Fig Melomel, Acerglyn, Restorative Tonic Metheglyn

Old 02-15-2010, 12:39 PM   #74
EoinMag
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 58

The lads on jimshomebrew.co.uk do a variation on this that they call turbo cider and some of them grate bramley cooking apples to make up the acids instead of the lime, the grated apples just go into the primary as you do with the lime. Tea additions etc are as with this one.

Old 03-02-2010, 02:11 AM   #75
benedict
Recipes 

Hi there, im relatively new to all this but really want to have a go at this one. just wondering what you use for "yeast nutrients"?

Old 03-02-2010, 02:16 AM   #76
Freezeblade
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by benedict View Post
Hi there, im relatively new to all this but really want to have a go at this one. just wondering what you use for "yeast nutrients"?
i use some I bought at the local home brew shop, I think it was by FerMax or something. looks like this: http://www.rebelbrewer.com/shoppingcart/products/FerMax-Yeast-Nutrient-%252d-4-oz..html# although any other yeast nutrient would do.
Aging:Public House Dry Stout, Procrastination Porter, Mr. Brown Ale, Westvleteren 12 Clone, Mead, Duvel Clone, Graham's English Cider 6-21, Belgian Draak Strong Ale, Fig Melomel, Acerglyn, Restorative Tonic Metheglyn

Old 03-02-2010, 02:39 AM   #77
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...

Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Yeah, I use generic nutrient from my LHBS which is listed on the label as 'diammonium phosphate and yeast hulls'. Works wonders. The yeast hulls provide a source of zinc, and the DAP is needed for the yeast to produce ATP since apple juice is mostly sugar and not much else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd

Old 03-02-2010, 04:05 AM   #78
benedict
Recipes 

Thanks alot for that! Ok so the only other thing I want to make sure i understand; if using a store bought apple juice.. then surely that has been pasteurized and is no longer fermentable. Do you not need to add sugar or some sort of fermentable for the yeast to eat?

Old 03-02-2010, 04:16 AM   #79
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...

Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by benedict View Post
Thanks alot for that! Ok so the only other thing I want to make sure i understand; if using a store bought apple juice.. then surely that has been pasteurized and is no longer fermentable. Do you not need to add sugar or some sort of fermentable for the yeast to eat?
I use Motts for my ciders. Works fine. As long as there is no benzoate or sorbate or other such garbage on the label it will work fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd

Old 03-02-2010, 09:30 AM   #80
EoinMag
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 58

[QUOTE=benedict;1918007 then surely that has been pasteurized and is no longer fermentable. Do you not need to add sugar or some sort of fermentable for the yeast to eat?[/QUOTE]

Pasteurisation does not mean something is no longer fermentable, just that amy wild yeast or bacteria in it has been killed and hence as long as it remains sterile it won't ferment. Adding a new form of infection (brewers yeast) will cause fermentation to start, preservatives might cause the issue of which you speak but not pasteurisation.

Quick Reply