Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Cider > Graham's English Cider

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2009, 07:45 PM   #51
Freezeblade
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 13 Posts

HarkinBanks has got it right on the nose. Dry cider requires patience, but it's really worth the time. I opened up a bottle from one of my first batches of this exact recipe, about a year and a half old, and it was bloody fantastic. I wouldn't drink any of them under 6 months though.

Aging:Public House Dry Stout, Procrastination Porter, Mr. Brown Ale, Westvleteren 12 Clone, Mead, Duvel Clone, Graham's English Cider 6-21, Belgian Draak Strong Ale, Fig Melomel, Acerglyn, Restorative Tonic Metheglyn

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2009, 03:41 AM   #52
CelticPig1888
Recipes 

Seems easy enough. Will have to give this one a shot. I think the hardest thing will be the wait. Oh...and nice pint glass Gooners are looking good these days!

Old 11-27-2009, 03:29 PM   #53
HarkinBanks
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

We cracked a few bottles at Thanksgiving dinner yesterday and I have to say they were fantastic, a big hit. At 7 months, this cider is now perfect IMHO. A month ago it was good, now it is just great. I will always have some of this around, kudos to Freezeblade, great recipe, and many thanks.

Old 12-07-2009, 12:25 AM   #54
kjbatt
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

This sounds like a great recipe. I am a little unclear about topping off the secondary with juice. Is this to eliminate headspace or is it an important ingredient at this point? If so, is there an ideal amount to add?

Old 12-08-2009, 05:31 AM   #55
Freezeblade
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbatt View Post
This sounds like a great recipe. I am a little unclear about topping off the secondary with juice. Is this to eliminate headspace or is it an important ingredient at this point? If so, is there an ideal amount to add?
It's just to eliminate headspace.
Aging:Public House Dry Stout, Procrastination Porter, Mr. Brown Ale, Westvleteren 12 Clone, Mead, Duvel Clone, Graham's English Cider 6-21, Belgian Draak Strong Ale, Fig Melomel, Acerglyn, Restorative Tonic Metheglyn

Old 12-14-2009, 03:38 PM   #56
No_Secrets_Brewing
Recipes 

Freezeblade,
Is the TreeTop Apple juice you are using made from concentrate? Do you think I would still need the tea and lime if I used the "Three Apple Blend"? http://www.treetop.com/ProductFlavor...bCategoryID=47 Thanks.

Planning: Chocolate Bock

Old 12-14-2009, 06:04 PM   #57
Freezeblade
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Secrets_Brewing View Post
Freezeblade,
Is the TreeTop Apple juice you are using made from concentrate? Do you think I would still need the tea and lime if I used the "Three Apple Blend"? http://www.treetop.com/ProductFlavor...bCategoryID=47 Thanks.
I've used the 3 apple blend before, and yes, it needs the tea and lime. I have strong suspisions that the apples used are red delicious, golden delicious, and granny smith, or something similarly bland. This does turn out better than the normal "standard" treetop juice.

Old 12-14-2009, 06:17 PM   #58
Coastarine
We get it, you hate BMC.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Hey freeze, I'm finding that I really enjoy a lightly backsweetened cider more than dry cider, and I'm going to make a batch soon. I'd like to try the tea and lime juice, but if I am going to sweeten in the keg with a can (maybe two?) of juice concentrate would you recommend changing the amounts?

On Tap.........[The Munchner][Spiced Cider][English Cider][Simcoe IPA][Triple Hops Grooved][Cider'n 'gnac]

Old 12-15-2009, 04:03 AM   #59
Dr_Gordon_Freeman
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

How will this cider perform without any yeast nutrient? Will it even ferment fully? I plan on brewing a 1gal batch tomorrow (my large carboy is currently full).

Old 12-15-2009, 04:13 AM   #60
Freezeblade
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Gordon_Freeman View Post
How will this cider perform without any yeast nutrient? Will it even ferment fully? I plan on brewing a 1gal batch tomorrow (my large carboy is currently full).
It would probably ferment fully, but be a very stinky ferment. It might also take awhile to get rid of that sulphery smell that sometimes happens when you don't use nutrient.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastarine View Post
Hey freeze, I'm finding that I really enjoy a lightly backsweetened cider more than dry cider, and I'm going to make a batch soon. I'd like to try the tea and lime juice, but if I am going to sweeten in the keg with a can (maybe two?) of juice concentrate would you recommend changing the amounts?
I don't know, I don't keg so I've never sweetened this cider, but I would imagine that the same amount of tea and lime would be fine.

Quick Reply