Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Cider > Graham's English Cider

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2009, 03:17 AM   #41
kappajoe
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I just finished bottling 49 bottles of the english cider...
1 month in the primary
2 in the secondary
5oz of corn sugar boiled in 2cups H20
Let me tell you... one month in the primary tastes really bitter and tons alcohol, two more in the secondary tastes less bitter and kind of sour with alot less of the young alcohol bite. I will be tasting the first bottle at Thanksgiving... can't wait.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2009, 07:32 PM   #42
chemnitz
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks for the recipe! I'm brewing this one up right now, and I can't wait to have some real English-style cider. My wife will be pleased, too--this is the first thing that I've brewed that she'll actually drink.

"Das Wort hat, ... als ich Wittenbergisch Bier mit meinem Philipp und Amsdorf getrunken hab, also viel getan..." - Martin Luther

On Deck: American IPA, Märzen
Fermenting: None
In Bottles: Prime Abbey Singel, Vespers Abbey Dubbel, Terce Abbey Tripel, Compline Abbey Quad, Dragon's Tail Barleywine, Boyne Mead

Old 08-20-2009, 08:17 PM   #43
Freezeblade
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemnitz View Post
Thanks for the recipe! I'm brewing this one up right now, and I can't wait to have some real English-style cider. My wife will be pleased, too--this is the first thing that I've brewed that she'll actually drink.
Good luck with it! Just make sure to have patience and not judge it by hydrometer samples, the apple taste comes right back after the aging times.
Aging:Public House Dry Stout, Procrastination Porter, Mr. Brown Ale, Westvleteren 12 Clone, Mead, Duvel Clone, Graham's English Cider 6-21, Belgian Draak Strong Ale, Fig Melomel, Acerglyn, Restorative Tonic Metheglyn

Old 08-20-2009, 08:46 PM   #44
chemnitz
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks for the encouragement! I figure that I'll try to put this one away until Christmas (though I might get weak and open a couple around Thanksgiving or my birthday in early December). I'm thinking about priming the bottles with fresh apple cider. Do you think that would be a good idea? I just need to figure out how much to use.

"Das Wort hat, ... als ich Wittenbergisch Bier mit meinem Philipp und Amsdorf getrunken hab, also viel getan..." - Martin Luther

In Bottles: Prime Abbey Singel, Vespers Abbey Dubbel, Terce Abbey Tripel, Compline Abbey Quad, Dragon's Tail Barleywine, Boyne Mead

Old 10-17-2009, 10:44 PM   #45
msheridan69
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Awesome Taste

I just made up a small 1 gallon experimental batch of this recipe:

1. I changed the juice to be 25% pear juice.
2. I substituted the lime with a lemon.

It fermented out in exactly 14 days, OG was 1055 and gravity at time of bottling was 1010, so that's around 6.5% ABV.

It tastes AWESOME straight from the fermenter - perfect balance of dry acidity for my tastes.

I'll be making up a 5 gallon batch soon enough as I'm waiting for a batch of Graff at the mo.

great recipe

Old 10-19-2009, 04:30 PM   #46
Freezeblade
Recipes 

Glad you like it, make sure you keep a few bottles for aging, to see how it is with more age on it.

Aging:Public House Dry Stout, Procrastination Porter, Mr. Brown Ale, Westvleteren 12 Clone, Mead, Duvel Clone, Graham's English Cider 6-21, Belgian Draak Strong Ale, Fig Melomel, Acerglyn, Restorative Tonic Metheglyn

Old 10-22-2009, 11:57 PM   #47
oltradplanter
Recipes 

has anyone attempted to do a strong bow cider recipe or better yet a stil cider recipe? In Trowbridge they has a cider that was 35% alcohol per pint...anyone here able to do it?

Old 10-23-2009, 12:36 AM   #48
Freezeblade
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oltradplanter View Post
has anyone attempted to do a strong bow cider recipe or better yet a stil cider recipe? In Trowbridge they has a cider that was 35% alcohol per pint...anyone here able to do it?
I think you'll find nobody here can do that without distilling at home, which is illegal in the United states. The highest standard beer yeast can go is 12% or so, wine yeasts a bit higher, but not much more than 18-20%

Either way, that is not the intent of this recipe, which is to create a pub-style cider of a lowish alcohol content, to be enjoyed relatively early. If you wanted a wine or something of a higher percentage, there are recipes for that other places on the forum.

Old 10-24-2009, 12:01 AM   #49
chemnitz
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I just finished bottling a batch of this cider, and I have my hydrometer sampler in hand right now. I have to say that this thing is rather unpleasant. I wouldn't say that it has turned to vinegar, but it is sour and harsh. I don't think that I could get through a whole bottle. Is this normal? Is there hope that this may actually age into a delicious cider? I brewed it on 8/21/09 and racked to secondary on 9/11/09. I followed the directions exactly, except I used one extra tea bag and I primed with 3.5 cups of fresh apple cider. The final gravity reading was 1.002. I won't throw it out, but I am worried. Please tell me this is normal!

Old 10-24-2009, 02:31 AM   #50
HarkinBanks
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemnitz View Post
I just finished bottling a batch of this cider, and I have my hydrometer sampler in hand right now. I have to say that this thing is rather unpleasant. I wouldn't say that it has turned to vinegar, but it is sour and harsh. I don't think that I could get through a whole bottle. Is this normal? Is there hope that this may actually age into a delicious cider? I brewed it on 8/21/09 and racked to secondary on 9/11/09. I followed the directions exactly, except I used one extra tea bag and I primed with 3.5 cups of fresh apple cider. The final gravity reading was 1.002. I won't throw it out, but I am worried. Please tell me this is normal!
I think the majority here will tell you wait a lot longer. I made mine in May and just cracked my first bottle this week. 5 months in carboys, 3 rackings and 4 more weeks to carbonate. You gotta have patience with cider. Mine came out very close to Aspall. I actually prefer mine over Aspall, dry, crisp, tart and refreshing. If you don't like Aspall, you won't like this recipe. Here is a pic side by side to Aspall medium http://twitpic.com/maogl

6th Street Brewing Company

Last edited by HarkinBanks; 10-24-2009 at 02:40 AM.

Quick Reply