Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Cider > Graham's English Cider

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2013, 05:28 AM   #281
mike_in_ak
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 52 Posts

It clears up before the taste is optimal already as it is.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2013, 07:35 PM   #282
tennesseean_87
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 105

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_in_ak View Post
+1--this stuff get way better with age. a few months in it's drinkable but kinda meh. At about 6 months it gets to be great! It'll definitely clear by this time.

Go ahead and bottle with the weird stuff on top. I always get that from this recipe. If you want to be really safe, crack a bottle after 2-3 weeks to make sure it's carbed, then stove-top pasteurize.

Old 03-03-2013, 10:13 PM   #283
Laowai
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_in_ak
Thanks for clearing that up ;-)

Actually, the reason I asked is because I am experiencing a shortage in carboys (I'm sure many can relate). My goal is to clear the cider as quickly as possible after fermentation has completed and then get it into bottles for the recommended aging period. Thoughts?

Old 03-04-2013, 03:09 AM   #284
mike_in_ak
Recipes 

There's gonna be some benefit to bulk aging.

And it would probably clear in bottles without the stuff.

Although I don't usually secondary with beer, I love that secondary with this means I get to top it off with more juice. So you get rid of the trub volume and get to add more. Probably adds up to half a gallon or more cider final product.

Minimum time to accomplish the top off: 10-14 days primary, rack to secondary and top off for another 10-14 days to eat the new sugar. Then Bottle and age. So 20-30 days of using a carboy.

If you don't care about the extra half-gallon+ of cider, I guess skip the top of and just age in bottles.

Old 03-04-2013, 10:09 AM   #285
tennesseean_87
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 105

It'll bottle clear without anything else. I have bottled after 4 weeks or so without ill effect.

Old 03-06-2013, 04:08 PM   #286
Vox
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_in_ak View Post
Probably crap from the limes. F- it. Bottle, drink, repeat.
I am gonna taste it and bottle it if it still tastes good.

Old 03-06-2013, 04:48 PM   #287
Thiderboy
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Yeast Nutrients? I ususally just use Notty, how much and what brands of Yeast nutrients do you use?

Old 03-08-2013, 03:19 AM   #288
mike_in_ak
Recipes 

Stuff from my lhbs has no brand or ingredient information. And the nutrient looks identical to the energizer. And they're the same price. Very suspicious.

Old 03-12-2013, 02:11 PM   #289
JonathanG
Recipes 

Made a 5-gallon batch of this up yesterday. I had purchased 6-gallons of apple juice at Costco (Kirkland brand) some months back and forgot about them down in the basement. Discovered them again recently and decided to make this up. My only issue was that when I pulled my 6-gallon Better Bottle out, I discovered a small crack in the bottom. So, I pulled out my 5-gallon Better Bottle and used it. Pouring all 5-gallons of juice in lead to an overflow issue, so I poured just a little out to allow for a small amount of headspace before I pitched the yeast, which was 1-packet of S-04 that I had purchased specifically for this recipe. Didn't have time to take a starting gravity reading, as I literally had to run out the door after hooking up the blowoff tube, but I followed the directions exactly using 4-Twining's Irish Breakfast tea bags and the juice of 1-lime, plus 1-teaspoon of Wyeast yeast nutrient boiled/steeped for 10-minutes in 3-cups of filtered water.

After making this, I cracked a bomber of Brandon O's Graff that I bottled at the end of last July. I still have a few of these left, and IMHO, they're tasting better now than they did before. It'd been a couple of months since I've had one, but I'm glad I still have 6-bombers and 2-12-oz. bottles left!

I plan to leave Graham's English Cider in the primary for 1-month, then transfer it over to a glass carboy secondary, top it off with more apple juice, and forget about it for a few months. I am looking forward to having it around at the holidays later this year, and will likely begin cracking into them around Thanksgiving.

Old 03-13-2013, 02:35 PM   #290
Vox
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

I just bottled my batch made 8/31/12. Backsweetened with two cans of AJ concentrate. It tasted ok. Hopefully it develops better in the bottle. Gonna monitor the carb level and pasteurize.

forumrunner_20130313_073339.png

forumrunner_20130313_073410.jpg

forumrunner_20130313_073438.jpg

forumrunner_20130313_073506.jpg

Quick Reply