Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Cider > Graham's English Cider

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2013, 03:05 PM   #261
Vox
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by america View Post
Made a batch of this tonight using kirkland signature brand apple juice, english breakfast black tea and Nottingham yeast. What are peoples experiences with nottingham? I saw that people used it but never what the end results were like. Does it get high krausen? I used a 5 gallon carboy so there isnt much headspace...
Notty is my favorite so far. Nice residual Flavor and not as toe curling when drinking it early like champagne and white wine yeasts.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2013, 02:02 AM   #262
HarkinBanks
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Just took second place in the Kansas City biermeisters competition with this recipe! Kudos to the original recipe. I aged it for 14 months.

Old 02-18-2013, 03:35 PM   #263
Vox
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarkinBanks View Post
Just took second place in the Kansas City biermeisters competition with this recipe! Kudos to the original recipe. I aged it for 14 months.
Did you bulk age it or bottle age it after following the recipe timeline? How did you backsweeten it? I'm going to bottle mine maybe tomorrow.

Old 02-18-2013, 03:41 PM   #264
HarkinBanks
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

It was rather comical. I had to transfer it to a keg due to moving houses after two months. Stored it in a storage locker for 6 months and then my basement. I force carbed it and tapped it recently. No back sweetening. It was so good I had to enter it into a comp. I love this recipe as is.

Old 02-18-2013, 03:44 PM   #265
Vox
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarkinBanks View Post
It was rather comical. I had to transfer it to a keg due moving after two months. Stored it in a storage locker for 6 months and then my basement. I force carbed it and tapped it recently. No back sweetening. It was so good I had to enter it into a comp. I love this recipe as is.
Nice, so it benefits from bulk aging. Was supposed to bottle mine a few weeks ago, but haven't yet. Looks like there is white dust on the surface so I'm not sure what that is.

Old 02-19-2013, 06:19 PM   #266
LoudounBrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Why not just use tannins and malic acid?

Been poking around looking for a nice cider recipe and found this one. Freezeblade was clever to use black tea and lime to reproduce the tannins and acid in English cider apples. However, I'm wondering why not just use tannin powder and malic acid? You can buy both from your local HBS or online.

Indeed, Gremlyn's recipe is based on Freezeblade's recipe but substitutes tannins for black tea and malic acid for lime juice.

Is there something special about black tea and lime juice? Do they add a flavor not found with tannin powder and malic acid?

It would just seem more repeatable to use the tannins and malic acid, but I'm fairly new to all of this so I definitely could be wrong.

Thanks.

Old 02-20-2013, 05:01 PM   #267
america
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vox View Post

Nice, so it benefits from bulk aging. Was supposed to bottle mine a few weeks ago, but haven't yet. Looks like there is white dust on the surface so I'm not sure what that is.
Sounds like you might have a pelicle starting but can't say for sure... Can you post a picture?

Old 02-20-2013, 06:00 PM   #268
mike_in_ak
Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 52 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudounBrew
Been poking around looking for a nice cider recipe and found this one. Freezeblade was clever to use black tea and lime to reproduce the tannins and acid in English cider apples. However, I'm wondering why not just use tannin powder and malic acid? You can buy both from your local HBS or online.

Indeed, Gremlyn's recipe is based on Freezeblade's recipe but substitutes tannins for black tea and malic acid for lime juice.

Is there something special about black tea and lime juice? Do they add a flavor not found with tannin powder and malic acid?

It would just seem more repeatable to use the tannins and malic acid, but I'm fairly new to all of this so I definitely could be wrong.

Thanks.
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freezeblade

After adding different forms of tannin and acid, using all sorts of ale yeasts to ferment the juice, and I think I have come up with a great recipe that pretty much anyone can do...

Cheers!

Old 02-21-2013, 02:55 PM   #269
Vox
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by america View Post

Sounds like you might have a pelicle starting but can't say for sure... Can you post a picture?
Here is one I took yesterday. Used a flash on the first one to make sure you could see it.

forumrunner_20130221_075435.jpg

forumrunner_20130221_075453.png

Old 02-21-2013, 09:30 PM   #270
america
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vox View Post

Here is one I took yesterday. Used a flash on the first one to make sure you could see it.
Not sure if that's an infection or not. How long has it been like that? Is it getting any "worse"? Could it be something from the juice you used?

Quick Reply