Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Cider > Graham's English Cider

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2013, 03:05 PM   #261
Vox
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 347
Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by america View Post
Made a batch of this tonight using kirkland signature brand apple juice, english breakfast black tea and Nottingham yeast. What are peoples experiences with nottingham? I saw that people used it but never what the end results were like. Does it get high krausen? I used a 5 gallon carboy so there isnt much headspace...
Notty is my favorite so far. Nice residual Flavor and not as toe curling when drinking it early like champagne and white wine yeasts.
__________________
Vox is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2013, 02:02 AM   #262
HarkinBanks
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Wayne
Posts: 687
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Default


Just took second place in the Kansas City biermeisters competition with this recipe! Kudos to the original recipe. I aged it for 14 months.

HarkinBanks is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2013, 03:35 PM   #263
Vox
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 347
Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by HarkinBanks View Post
Just took second place in the Kansas City biermeisters competition with this recipe! Kudos to the original recipe. I aged it for 14 months.
Did you bulk age it or bottle age it after following the recipe timeline? How did you backsweeten it? I'm going to bottle mine maybe tomorrow.
__________________
Vox is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2013, 03:41 PM   #264
HarkinBanks
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Wayne
Posts: 687
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Default


It was rather comical. I had to transfer it to a keg due to moving houses after two months. Stored it in a storage locker for 6 months and then my basement. I force carbed it and tapped it recently. No back sweetening. It was so good I had to enter it into a comp. I love this recipe as is.

HarkinBanks is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2013, 03:44 PM   #265
Vox
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 347
Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by HarkinBanks View Post
It was rather comical. I had to transfer it to a keg due moving after two months. Stored it in a storage locker for 6 months and then my basement. I force carbed it and tapped it recently. No back sweetening. It was so good I had to enter it into a comp. I love this recipe as is.
Nice, so it benefits from bulk aging. Was supposed to bottle mine a few weeks ago, but haven't yet. Looks like there is white dust on the surface so I'm not sure what that is.
__________________
Vox is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2013, 06:19 PM   #266
LoudounBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Purcellville
Posts: 49
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Why not just use tannins and malic acid?


Been poking around looking for a nice cider recipe and found this one. Freezeblade was clever to use black tea and lime to reproduce the tannins and acid in English cider apples. However, I'm wondering why not just use tannin powder and malic acid? You can buy both from your local HBS or online.

Indeed, Gremlyn's recipe is based on Freezeblade's recipe but substitutes tannins for black tea and malic acid for lime juice.

Is there something special about black tea and lime juice? Do they add a flavor not found with tannin powder and malic acid?

It would just seem more repeatable to use the tannins and malic acid, but I'm fairly new to all of this so I definitely could be wrong.

Thanks.

__________________
LoudounBrew is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2013, 05:01 PM   #267
america
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: seattle
Posts: 150
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by Vox View Post

Nice, so it benefits from bulk aging. Was supposed to bottle mine a few weeks ago, but haven't yet. Looks like there is white dust on the surface so I'm not sure what that is.
Sounds like you might have a pelicle starting but can't say for sure... Can you post a picture?
__________________
america is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2013, 06:00 PM   #268
mike_in_ak
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: anchorage
Posts: 544
Liked 84 Times on 52 Posts

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudounBrew
Been poking around looking for a nice cider recipe and found this one. Freezeblade was clever to use black tea and lime to reproduce the tannins and acid in English cider apples. However, I'm wondering why not just use tannin powder and malic acid? You can buy both from your local HBS or online.

Indeed, Gremlyn's recipe is based on Freezeblade's recipe but substitutes tannins for black tea and malic acid for lime juice.

Is there something special about black tea and lime juice? Do they add a flavor not found with tannin powder and malic acid?

It would just seem more repeatable to use the tannins and malic acid, but I'm fairly new to all of this so I definitely could be wrong.

Thanks.
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freezeblade


After adding different forms of tannin and acid, using all sorts of ale yeasts to ferment the juice, and I think I have come up with a great recipe that pretty much anyone can do...


Cheers!
__________________
mike_in_ak is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2013, 02:55 PM   #269
Vox
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 347
Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by america View Post

Sounds like you might have a pelicle starting but can't say for sure... Can you post a picture?
Here is one I took yesterday. Used a flash on the first one to make sure you could see it.

forumrunner_20130221_075435.jpg



forumrunner_20130221_075453.png
__________________
Vox is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2013, 09:30 PM   #270
america
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: seattle
Posts: 150
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by Vox View Post

Here is one I took yesterday. Used a flash on the first one to make sure you could see it.
Not sure if that's an infection or not. How long has it been like that? Is it getting any "worse"? Could it be something from the juice you used?
__________________
america is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Noob cider help... How long do you generally ferment Cider? unclejimbay Cider Forum 9 01-27-2012 09:20 PM
What is Cider, as opposed to Wine?/Quince Cider critique petes Cider Forum 16 08-31-2011 07:17 PM
Horse & Buggy English Cider 07'er Evan! Cider Forum 5 10-26-2007 12:26 AM
English Cider. Orfy Cider Forum 0 10-07-2007 03:38 PM



Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS