Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Cider > Graham's English Cider

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2012, 09:53 PM   #231
filmgoing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

hi i might try adding a couple of mugs of raisins and some more sugar just to push it up a bit maybe to 7% i have got some that is at 10.6% put after that i think it becomes a wine .

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2012, 06:55 PM   #232
Tw0fish
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I'm actually really excited about this. I made a batch using Motts (OG 1.050 after 1 lime and tea as dictated). Used Nottingham. When I opened my primary, I thought I'd messed it up - it was already clearing, one month to the day after pitch, and had these beautiful silky lees on the bottom that I couldn't see until I was done racking. So I racked it and topped it off with another ~1g of juice (still motts), took a gravity and tasted it. The gravity at topping-off was 1.020 (I didn't get one before I racked, stupid me) and it tasted a LOT like strongbow.

Just saying, if anyone's really game to experiment there's certainly room there.

-Jordan
Who will try to ferment just about anything
"You guys just wanna get bombed and run around yelling yarr we're vikings!"

Old 10-01-2012, 04:11 AM   #233
Vox
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Just racked to the secondary today. Smelled nice!

Old 10-14-2012, 12:22 AM   #234
mike_in_ak
Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 52 Posts

+ 5 gallons. Made as written, except pitched on S04 cake left over from graff. Just finished reading entire thread, have to go buy a bomber of cider now.

Old 10-29-2012, 06:21 AM   #235
mike_in_ak
Recipes 

Two weeks since pitching, airlock still going.

Old 11-01-2012, 02:20 PM   #236
urbanmyth
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 58

Just pitched US-05 instead of S-04 in a five gallon batch of this. I have an aunt who lived in England for about a decade that I am brewing this for.

Sheldon: If its a brew day, its a good day

raptorvan: it makes the beer so silky smooth its like drinking a glass of giggling angels.

Old 11-12-2012, 03:30 AM   #237
mike_in_ak
Recipes 

Racked to secondary today after month in primary. Hydro sample showed just under 1.01. Tasted great, as did the other jar I pulled off. Not clear yet, buy I really was surprised by how good it was. Way better than the sweet store bought types.

Old 11-12-2012, 04:48 AM   #238
jmg727
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg727 View Post
I just started a batch using 4.5 gallons of Nature's Nectar 100% apple juice with an extra lime. Used Benner Classic Blend Orange Pekoe adn Peooe CUt Black Tea from Aldi. I'll let you know how it goes. Very excited to try this!!! Otherwise I followed the recipe.
So I pretty much followed the recipe (pitched yeast on 8-1-12), except that I added an extra lime. Two regular limes. I see why the recipe called for only one!!!

I have been periodically tasting the batch as the sulfery essence went away. I ended up with a too-tart too-citrus batch that was way too limey to drink.

I remedied that today. I took 3 pounds of honey (also Aldi) and reduced it to about 1.5 pounds on the cooktop, acheiving a bit of burnt flavor. I added enough apple juice so that it would not harden, and added about half of it to the carboy. I then bottled the batch, and am monitoring a single plastic bottle to see when to refrigerate or pastuerize the others. I'll decide which tomorrow. FG (before honey addition) was 1.001.

I'll try the recipe again with less lime and will use . But this first batch was great. Freezeblade, thanks for the recipe!!!

You can't always get what you want, but when you find what you need, buy two of them ...

Old 11-14-2012, 05:02 AM   #239
Vox
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Just tasted my batch made 8/31. Pretty good. Still needs a little more time I think, but I suppose I can bottle soon. Is a month to carbonate correct? Other batches I've done take a week.

Old 12-04-2012, 04:58 AM   #240
urbanmyth
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 58

If I were to enter this in a competition, what style would it fall under? I am not familiar with the different styles of cider.

Sheldon: If its a brew day, its a good day

raptorvan: it makes the beer so silky smooth its like drinking a glass of giggling angels.

Quick Reply