Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Cider > Graham's English Cider

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2012, 03:48 AM   #211
tennesseean_87
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 105

I'm about 3.5 weeks into a test batch. Besides a film over the top which is apparently normal for using Nottingham in a cider, it appears to be clear down to the bottom. I subbed in lemon juice (half a tablespoon) and used 2 tea bags in ~2 gallons, along with Nottingham. It tasted pretty good, though I trust it will improve with age. It finished at 1.002 as advertised, and I am considering trying to bump up the FG just a bit and pasteurize, though it's probably not worth it for a couple of points (which is all I'd want). I did notice it was a bit more tart that something like apfelwein, but I didn't notice any effect from the tea. I may try adding a little more to the next batch (which should start soon).

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2012, 08:32 PM   #212
jmg727
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 56

I just started a batch using 4.5 gallons of Nature's Nectar 100% apple juice with an extra lime. Used Benner Classic Blend Orange Pekoe adn Peooe CUt Black Tea from Aldi. I'll let you know how it goes. Very excited to try this!!! Otherwise I followed the recipe.

Old 08-02-2012, 04:43 AM   #213
Vox
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Would love to make this, but my place is usually cooled to the mid 70's and I don't have a 2nd fridge yet for such recipes.

Old 08-04-2012, 04:59 PM   #214
anaboland
Recipes 

Hi,

I am very new to the world of home brewing, but after many years drinking cider I've decided to try and brew some myself...

I saw this recipe and started a 9L (2.38 US gallons) batch based on it, using the following.

Aldi cloudy apple juice (Not from concentrate, pasteurised)
Juice from half a regular lime
SN9 champaign yeast
Brewers sugar
2 * Lipton's Breakfast tea bags

also added yeast nutrient.

The OG was 1.060, and for about 24hrs nothing happened, then on the second day it started to ferment like CRAZY producing a lovely fruity smell, this continued for two days and then slowed down and by the fifth day there was no airlock activity at all.

I measured the FG and it has remained at 1.015 for 4 days, at this time it tastes of apple with noticeable citrus element, looks a little hazy (perhaps due to my use of cloudy apple juice..... OOPS) and smells slightly of sulphur inside fermenter bucket.

Question.....

is five days for primary fermentation correct, and should I expect a lower FG ?

Thanks for any help

Old 08-05-2012, 06:48 AM   #215
diablodawg
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts

Pitched this last december and finally got off my ass and transferred to secondary.... delicious. Very light, refreshing and smooth as silk, even without gas. It will end up being a repeat. Not to mention its 6.8abv.... total girlfriend slayer.

Old 08-22-2012, 01:40 AM   #216
Vox
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Do you think this will work at 75 degrees? I know notty and other ale yeasts are optimal lower, but can work up to 80. Just made UpstateMike's caramel apple cider with notty around 75 and that seemed to work. I'm looking for something not as dry as my last batch of Apfelwein which is too whiny, though still young, for my taste.

Old 08-23-2012, 01:26 AM   #217
Vox
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Just bought the makings for this. I want to compare it to apfelwein and see the difference. Also picked up a new carboy for it. I'm looking forward to letting it go the full three months by leaving it at my parents' house so I don't get tempted to.bottle it early. Now to see if I can fond key limes! Is there much of a difference from regular limes?

Old 08-23-2012, 05:24 PM   #218
bpm2000
Recipes 

Key limes, lemons, regular limes, all seem pretty much the same to me in all batches I've tried. Just some acid.

It should be drinkable far faster than apfelwein imo.

I'd go lower than 75 if you can do it; I've had some terrible ciders or ciders that needed far longer aging than the norm due to high fermentation temps.

-

Old 08-23-2012, 06:21 PM   #219
Vox
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpm2000
Key limes, lemons, regular limes, all seem pretty much the same to me in all batches I've tried. Just some acid.

It should be drinkable far faster than apfelwein imo.

I'd go lower than 75 if you can do it; I've had some terrible ciders or ciders that needed far longer aging than the norm due to high fermentation temps.
Ok. Thanks. If upstate mike doesn't have his kiss 2.0 recipe ready soon, I will make this.

Old 08-24-2012, 12:29 AM   #220
DregAddict
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Just pitched the yeast into my first batch of this recipe. Followed it exactly, even with the apple juice brand. Now I just need to wait it out and stay with the described schedule. Probably easier said than done.

Quick Reply