Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Cider > Graham's English Cider

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2011, 09:02 PM   #191
Gremlyn
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveHoward View Post
I'm curious if someone can compare and contrast the taste of this with Edwort's Apfelwein: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f25/man-i-love-apfelwein-14860/ I'm sure someone has made both and can tell how they compare .
The Edwort's Apfelwein is more white-wine-ish, and is much drier with a lighter apple flavour than this cider recipe. Just as an aside, I officially posted my cider recipe variation of this one right here. I have made both, and though I liked the apfelwein after about a year of aging, the cider is easier to drink more of on a regular basis.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2011, 05:47 PM   #192
ajfranke
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I pitched a batch of this last night using 5 gal. of cider from the nearby farmer's market, Twining's English Breakfast Tea, and some bottled key lime juice. The yeast I'm using is some 3rd-generation washed Wy1098/WLP007. The only major tweak to the recipe was the addition of 8 oz. brown sugar.

Looking forward to trying it in a few months!

Old 12-13-2011, 01:59 PM   #193
diablodawg
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts

Pitched last night with juice from two small lemons, as well as 4 bags of orange / black pekoe tea and 5 tsps of yeast nutrient. S-04 yeast. Starting to bubble this morning, less than 12 hours later.

Old 12-28-2011, 02:32 AM   #194
zkamm99
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablodawg View Post
Pitched last night with juice from two small lemons, as well as 4 bags of orange / black pekoe tea and 5 tsps of yeast nutrient. S-04 yeast. Starting to bubble this morning, less than 12 hours later.
This answers my question. I have only made 3 batches of beer, all from brewers best kits. They seem to start bubbling pretty soon. i came back on here to check how long it takes to start noticing fermentation. I guess its not an hour like i expected. So i know, does anyone have a round about time frame when i should notice? It has been 4 hours now.

Thanks for the recipe also

Old 01-16-2012, 09:52 PM   #195
Coldies
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I made a 2.5 gallon batch of this around 2 1/2 months ago. I needed to free up my 3 gallon BB so I decided to keg it. I did not rack to secondary and it's crystal clear and very very good. I used Wyeast's cider yeast as well. I will def make another batch but in 5 gallons this time and wait it out for 5 or so months. Very good stuff.

Old 03-06-2012, 08:20 PM   #196
jamesjensen1068
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

I've tried other cider recipes in the last year and this one by far has been the hit of the party. I've tried different types of apple juice/cider and although I hate to say it, the best batches were made with Walmart brand apple juice. It's crystal clear from the get-go so overall appearance is great. I ferment with White Labs Cider Yeast. I back sweeten with frozen apple juice (4 to 5 cans) and keg. I kill the yeast too. I run low Co2 like 4 to 5 psi. just enough to push it thru the line.

I would put this up against any hard cider.

Old 03-07-2012, 12:00 PM   #197
Moatengator
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

this year I did it using cider from the local press and Wyeast Cider yeast, it was a huge hit with everyone even my wife. It came out dry, but there is an apple taste and aroma, I will do this every year I can get to the press before they run out.

Old 03-09-2012, 02:42 AM   #198
lseabo00
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I racked a gallon on a pound of dried montmorency cherries almost a month ago. I was planning on leaving it in the carboy for 2-3 months total.

Can I leave the cider on the fruit until I'm ready to bottle? Or should I rack to another carboy to clear and age? If I rack, what should I do about headspace? There would not be a full gallon of cider due to the displacement of the cherries.

Thanks for any help.

Old 03-10-2012, 03:21 AM   #199
themax
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lseabo00 View Post
Can I leave the cider on the fruit until I'm ready to bottle? Or should I rack to another carboy to clear and age?
I bottled a cider in February that sat in primary with raisins since September. I'm pleased with it. I can't, of course, answer what that would do to this thread's recipe.

Old 03-28-2012, 06:58 PM   #200
clevernonsense
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

You can do well with fresh unpasteurized juice/cider from mills, but you have to remember: They are making their blends for drinking, not fermenting, so the benefits are somewhat limited.

Near me, I can actually get a carboy filled up for less than the cost per gallon of buying generic stuff, so I usually go that root.

Another big benefit in my eyes is you can allow some spontaneous fermentation to occur (with or without the aid of brewing yeast)--this gives it a better, more funky flavor IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveHoward View Post
Question from a real noob with big artistic aspirations ... I'm looking to make the best stuff I can, and learn it well - not just make something to give me a cheap drunk. This recipe is the most interesting of the cider recipes I've seen thus far, and the discussion gives me some insight, but ...

I've spoken with the cider mill near where I live, and found that I can get fresh, unpasteurized cider from them if I will sign a waiver and promise to not drink it without making hard cider . With that in mind, some of the total noob questions I have are:

If I'm getting the cider from the mill, and not using a processed juice, does that change the need for the teabags?

When you say "Yeast nutrients as needed," how do I recognize when it is needed? or how much is needed?

Would you think that anything else would need to change if I use the cider from the mill instead of the juice?

This year is the first year I have brewed anything of my own, and I don't even know anyone else personally who can answer questions I have. I've just moved to Washington this year just in time to catch the ripening blackberries.My eye is on next catching that fantastic apple harvest up here. I want to get it right, and get it on time. I don't mind experimenting, I just want to know enough to know how to experiment.

Quick Reply