Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Cider > Graham's English Cider

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2009, 08:07 PM   #11
Fuzzyfella
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I've never tried making cider before but would love to give it a go. I live in Ireland we don't have 'Treetop' apple juice here. Is this a pure apple juice or a juice made from concentrate?

Regards,
Fuzzy

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2009, 08:11 PM   #12
Fuzzyfella
Recipes 

I've never tried making cider before but would love to give it a go. I live in Ireland we don't have 'Treetop' apple juice here. Is this a pure apple juice or a juice made from concentrate?

Regards,
Fuzzy

Old 03-22-2009, 02:54 PM   #13
Freezeblade
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzyfella View Post

Regards,
Fuzzy
Treetop, Motts, all of these are your standard cheap apple juices, usually from concentrate, and are nearly always clear. I have used (with success) the following brands, but any other would probably do:

Treetop, Hanson's, Motts, Albertson's brand, Smart and Final's brand, Kirkland, Various Trader Joe's juices, Martinelli's, Ralph's Brand, and a few others, it's pretty hard to mess up the recipe, just use some store-brand juice and let it go.
Aging:Public House Dry Stout, Procrastination Porter, Mr. Brown Ale, Westvleteren 12 Clone, Mead, Duvel Clone, Graham's English Cider 6-21, Belgian Draak Strong Ale, Fig Melomel, Acerglyn, Restorative Tonic Metheglyn

Old 04-10-2009, 06:58 PM   #14
IanP
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Late to the thread - apologies!

Have you tried making cider with freshly-pressed unpasteurized apple juice, as I have bought a few times from farmer's markets? Would this make the tea bags etc redundant, or are there problems with whatever may be lurking in the unpasteurized juice?

Conditioning : Assorted Meads
On Deck : Belgian IPA
Waiting : Oatmeal Stout

Old 04-11-2009, 05:29 AM   #15
jdwest32
Recipes 

Default how to?

how do i make my cider semi sweet and not have exploding bottles?

Old 04-11-2009, 02:13 PM   #16
Freezeblade
Recipes 

This recipe is for dry cider, and was geared twards that, but if you wanted to make a semi-sweet or sweet cider you would have to add an unfermentable sugar such as splenda, stevia or lactose at bottling, to taste of course, along with your priming sugar.

(or you can learn to like dry cider )

Aging:Public House Dry Stout, Procrastination Porter, Mr. Brown Ale, Westvleteren 12 Clone, Mead, Duvel Clone, Graham's English Cider 6-21, Belgian Draak Strong Ale, Fig Melomel, Acerglyn, Restorative Tonic Metheglyn

Old 04-13-2009, 04:24 AM   #17
jdwest32
Recipes 

im going to try this recipe. Am i supposed to boil it? is there a concern about bacteria or wild strains of yeast?

Old 04-13-2009, 05:04 AM   #18
Laughing_Gnome_Invisible
Recipes 

Liked 509 Times on 392 Posts
Likes Given: 76

I'm just curious. Is this recipe based on a bottled cider that you tried in England? Or is it intended to be more like the scrumpy that you can by on tap in the South West?

Steven Hawking ~ As we say in science, the England football team couldn’t hit a cow’s arse with a banjo

Old 04-13-2009, 05:37 PM   #19
Freezeblade
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laughing_Gnome_Invisible View Post
I'm just curious. Is this recipe based on a bottled cider that you tried in England? Or is it intended to be more like the scrumpy that you can by on tap in the South West?
It was influenced greatly on a variety of ciders I had on tap in pubs when I was in London and Belfast, I tried to do the Scrumpy, but that sort of thing is much harder to duplicate, as the flavor is very dependent on the source and freshness of the pressed juice, as well as the fermentation method. The goal of this project was to make a good tasting pub-style cider from pre-processed mass-produced cheap apple juice readily available in most stores.

The only imports that really make it here are the Sam Smith's ($5 a 22oz), Blackthorne ($4 a Liter), Strongbow ($10 a sixer), Mangers ($11 a sixer), and Aspall ($6 a 16oz bottle), The latter two are pretty good, but overall, it's very expensive to find even a decent tasting english-style or imported cider, so this project was very much about economy as it was taste, and besides the Aspall I think my recipe blows all the the previously mentioned out of the water with sufficient aging, especally when you consider that a 5 gallon batch costs about $22 (I don't count the cost of tea or limes, as I always have them around, and I usually just use a bit of yeast from the starter of the beer I'm brewing that day).

Last edited by Freezeblade; 04-13-2009 at 05:40 PM.

Old 04-13-2009, 07:26 PM   #20
Freezeblade
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdwest32 View Post
im going to try this recipe. Am i supposed to boil it? is there a concern about bacteria or wild strains of yeast?
with store bought juice there is no need to boil. if you got it from a local fruit stand that was fresh pressed, then use camden as directed on the package, but don't boil, it will set pectins. Also, when I use local pressed juice I don't add any tea or lime unless the taste of the juice itself is obviously lacking it, to answer a previous question.
MikeZ Likes This 

Quick Reply