Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Cider > Graham's English Cider

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2011, 01:30 AM   #171
beerisgood
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Nottingham seems to be what everyone has lying around. I just mixed up my second batch of this using some Notty.

Last time I neglected to add yeast nutrient, aerate properly and I did not have the ability to control fermentation temp. This time I add the nutrient and aerated and I'm fermenting it cool. I brewed a Kolsch today that wants to be a 60F so that's what the cider is going to have to ferment at as well. It is still within Notty's range so it should work out. Maybe take longer but hopefully taste cleaner.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2011, 02:22 AM   #172
callmebruce
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Mine started a little warmer. I have Kolsch in a picnic cooler with plenty of ice. It was steady in the low 60's, then I dropped it to 40 by adding more ice bottles and swapping them out daily.

I have the cider in a fermentation bucket and that is in a large plastic bucket filled with water. I kept swapping out ice bottles but it still wasn't much cooler than room temp. I thought about it, and it's really no different than having a huge glass of water and throwing some ice in. It's not going to stay cool for long. Swamp coolers are great in some places, but I think a room with no air flow and high Georgia humidity isn't the best place for one.

So - I wrapped the bucket up in foam (er, foam backpacking mats) and put some styrofoam on top (er, boogie boards). The cider and water surrounding the bucket are staying at a cool 60 degrees measured by a pool thermometer in the water, and the temp stays pretty steady for 12 hours. I let it go closer to 30 hours today, and only gained 5 degrees.

Swapping ice bottle out every 12 to 24 hours is going to get old real fast! But the Kolsch wrapped up 2 weeks fermenting and three weeks kinda lagering at 40. One week to go. Then the cider goes in the big picnic cooler.

(I'm starting to think a fridge will be on the shopping list soon!). Sorry to wander off the thread. Looking forward to trying the cider!

Old 07-06-2011, 09:54 PM   #173
OliBrew
Recipes 

Just curious, i know that adding the juice is to fill headspace, has anyone had experience in adding a gallon of it at secondary? Will it all ferment out or residual sweetness come through since it so much?

Old 07-21-2011, 02:51 AM   #174
RedBullGuRu
Recipes 

Put my first attempt in secondary just last week. I've seen conflicting times required before the cider is drinkable. I understand the original recipe calls for months but I was hoping to get a consensus from those who bottled it earlier on how it was. Great or just tolerable for those who, like me, can't wait?

Last edited by RedBullGuRu; 07-21-2011 at 03:55 PM.

Old 07-22-2011, 11:06 PM   #175
Moatengator
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

tapped my keg of this recipe that I started 22 MAR 2011, came out very nice, think it could have stood some more time, but is good. My wife who prefers sweet cider loves its clean taste and doesn't mind the dryness.

Old 07-23-2011, 09:51 PM   #176
RedBullGuRu
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moatengator
tapped my keg of this recipe that I started 22 MAR 2011, came out very nice, think it could have stood some more time, but is good. My wife who prefers sweet cider loves its clean taste and doesn't mind the dryness.
Great thanks! Good to know she enjoyed it. My girlfriend also likes a sweeter cider, so hopefully we'll both be happy with it.

Old 08-02-2011, 10:48 PM   #177
bpm2000
Recipes 

I thought it drinkable as early as 2/3 months but it definitely could stand to wait another month and is way better at 5/6 months.

-

Old 08-02-2011, 11:29 PM   #178
RedBullGuRu
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpm2000
I thought it drinkable as early as 2/3 months but it definitely could stand to wait another month and is way better at 5/6 months.
Yea I figured waiting would be best. But with football season finally approaching I am starting to get a little thirsty.

Old 08-03-2011, 12:15 AM   #179
callmebruce
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I finally moved mine to secondary this past weekend. Tasted a little bit. It needs more time, but mine is still very early in the process.

Old 08-03-2011, 01:54 AM   #180
RedBullGuRu
Recipes 

Took a sip of mine today and it tasted green. It left the feeling in your mouth like a strong tea would. Also a bit sour like a bit of the lime flavor was lingering along with the tea. Is this normal after a month of secondary??

Quick Reply