Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Cider > Graham's English Cider

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2011, 04:39 PM   #151
bkwing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Did a batch of this about 2 weeks ago, really fantastic recipe.

I stopped mine at 1.010, since I wanted semi-sweet and was done with the ferment in about 7 days. It was excellent straight out of the fermenter, but I filtered, kegged, and am already enjoying this one.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2011, 03:56 PM   #152
timmer76
Recipes 

Default Tasty but...

I made this receipe per instructions w/ S-04 yeast. 1 month in primary, 2 in secondary. Bottled w/ 4oz sugar (roughly 3/4 cup) 4 weeks ago. The cider is already tasty, but has very little carbonation. Opened 1 bottle after 2 weeks and one after 4 weeks and both had the same amount of carbonation. anybody else have this problem? Am I SOL on this batch or should I hope for more?
Thanks
Tim

Old 04-11-2011, 06:54 PM   #153
bpm2000
Recipes 

Just moved mine to secondary - there was just some lees on the bottom but it was pretty clear otherwise. Tasted drinkable already but hoping to age some of the green-ness out in the secondary. Also could use a little carb from what I tasted so far.

Looking forward to summer!

Old 04-11-2011, 09:49 PM   #154
Rahahb
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

With the ONLY deviation to the recipe(besides quantity) being temperature, how high can this safely go?

My house is a bit on the warm side during summer and it's already started to warm up here.

Old 04-11-2011, 10:33 PM   #155
Gremlyn
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Depends on the yeast. Cider and win yeasts are a little happier at higher temps. I used WLP775 and didn't pay much attention to temp, probably 70-75 ambient in the closet where it sat.

Old 04-16-2011, 01:41 AM   #156
bkwing
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahahb View Post
With the ONLY deviation to the recipe(besides quantity) being temperature, how high can this safely go?

My house is a bit on the warm side during summer and it's already started to warm up here.
If you're using the Safale-04 from the recipe, you don't really want to get past 68-70 degrees...and even that is pushing it, since the fermenting cider will be at least a degree or two warmer (2-3 in my experience) than the ambient. Easiest way to keep it cool is grab a cooler that will fit your bucket or carboy, fill it with water and toss frozen water bottles in a few at a time to keep the temp down. Once my water is around 62, I only have to add a bottle or two for the entire day.

Old 04-16-2011, 04:55 AM   #157
Rahahb
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Thanks. Guess ill try to find a small container to use the ice method because I know my house will be very warm. Probably around 76.

Old 04-17-2011, 02:56 PM   #158
bkwing
Recipes 

Yeah, that'd be too high. It'll ferment just fine, you'll just get some funky flavors with it...and there's nowhere for that stuff to hide in a cider.

Old 04-17-2011, 06:30 PM   #159
maltoftheearth
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 20

I plan to start a 2.5 gallon batch of cider this evening using the OP's recipe. I have some questions about differences in batch size:

* I am using EC1118 yeast. Should I pitch one full yeast packet if I am doing half the total of the OP's recipe? Will that extra yeast create any issues?

* Should I cut the lemon and tea in half as well?

* I don't have any yeast nutrient, is this a problem?

Looking forward to brewing this up, my SWMNBO fell in love with dry ciders from Aspall and Original Sin at the Raleigh Beer Festival. She hates the taste of beer but has helped on every bottling day (and plus some) so it would be nice to give her a reward for her support.

Kegged (as of 5/14): Rye IPA, Honey Sage Ale, Belgian Golden Strong, California Common, Bavarian Style Lager, Weizen, Coffee Stout

Long range forecast: Douze clone, Gruit

Old 04-18-2011, 07:02 PM   #160
Freezeblade
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by maltoftheearth View Post
* I am using EC1118 yeast. Should I pitch one full yeast packet if I am doing half the total of the OP's recipe? Will that extra yeast create any issues?

* Should I cut the lemon and tea in half as well?

* I don't have any yeast nutrient, is this a problem?
I really suggest using an ale yeast, wine yeast will produce something much more like wine than cider, too dry.

Cut the lime and tea in half if you're doing a half batch.

You don't need to use yeast nutrient, but it'll take longer to condition, and will create the "rhino farts" if you do a HBT search, you'll see plenty of complaints on it.
Aging:Public House Dry Stout, Procrastination Porter, Mr. Brown Ale, Westvleteren 12 Clone, Mead, Duvel Clone, Graham's English Cider 6-21, Belgian Draak Strong Ale, Fig Melomel, Acerglyn, Restorative Tonic Metheglyn

Quick Reply