Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Cider > Graham's English Cider

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2010, 04:44 PM   #131
soccernut
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Just Tapped mine. Its great! I think It would make a great lager snakebite due to the tartness of the cider, Oh and It tastes better out of a Man U pint glass...I kid, I kid.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2010, 02:17 PM   #132
No_Secrets_Brewing
Recipes 

Thanks for the great recipe. I let it age 9 months and it was amazing, lots of compliments. I only have one issue with this recipe... it runs out to quick! I started a second batch with Nottingham and Trader Joe's Organic apple cider. I reduced the amount of tea to 2 bags since it seemed like the cider was naturally tart. I will post the results in a couple of months.

Planning: Chocolate Bock

Old 12-13-2010, 06:29 PM   #133
jamesjensen1068
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I did a batch of this in October and I have it in secondary. It is crystal clear and I'm thinking of bottling next month. My only concern is that it looks like there is no yeast on the bottom of my carboy. I see a few specks on the bottom but that is it. I need some RDWHAHB therapy please.

Cheers

Old 12-13-2010, 07:31 PM   #134
Freezeblade
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesjensen1068 View Post
I did a batch of this in October and I have it in secondary. It is crystal clear and I'm thinking of bottling next month. My only concern is that it looks like there is no yeast on the bottom of my carboy. I see a few specks on the bottom but that is it. I need some RDWHAHB therapy please.

Cheers
It'll totally be fine, if you're really worried about it, then pitch about a half pack of fresh yeast into the bottling bucket per 5 gallons at bottling time along with the priming sugar. I've bottled when there appears to be no yeast, and they take a little longer, (like, sometimes 2 months) but have always worked out fine.
Aging:Public House Dry Stout, Procrastination Porter, Mr. Brown Ale, Westvleteren 12 Clone, Mead, Duvel Clone, Graham's English Cider 6-21, Belgian Draak Strong Ale, Fig Melomel, Acerglyn, Restorative Tonic Metheglyn

Old 12-14-2010, 06:21 PM   #135
jamesjensen1068
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Thanks Freezeblade......I'll take your word.

Cheers

Old 12-31-2010, 10:31 AM   #136
JRDroid
Recipes 

I think i am going to start a batch of this either in 3 weeks or in february to give as christmas gifts to everyone but my alcohol hating in-laws next year.

Old 01-16-2011, 06:06 PM   #137
whitebirdfeathers
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 20

I just put together a batch of this today. I used Nottingham and lemon instead of the S-04 and lime. Only six more months to go...

That's why I'm easy, easy like Sunday morning...

Old 02-11-2011, 01:26 AM   #138
martn55
Recipes 

Literally just got home from buying the stuff. Want some advice. Im going to be making a 5 gal batch. i m looking for advice and comments on the recipe, and the whole process in general.

5 gal apple juice
2.5 lbs of clover honey
1 lb brown sugar
5 cinnamon sticks
2 ozs whole cloves
(was thinking about adding some chamomile whole tea)
1 vial liquid english cider yeast(was going to use nottingham yeast though)

now i guess i am looking for fermenting time and length, advice on sweetness and dryness, advice on carbonating, and anyhting else i can get. I wont be starting this until sunday, and i check this site everyday. so any help i can get would be great.

Future Brews
something soon maybe a saison or my hopster IPA again
Primary
Hefenweizen amber ale bradon o graffs and some brown ale
Bottled
red ale, American wheat, blueberry witbier, hopster IPA, 10 gals apfelwein, mint chocolate oatmeal stout, beligan trippel

MARTIN>>>>>> i like beer we have a relationship

Old 02-11-2011, 08:21 AM   #139
EoinMag
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by martn55 View Post
Literally just got home from buying the stuff. Want some advice. Im going to be making a 5 gal batch. i m looking for advice and comments on the recipe, and the whole process in general.

5 gal apple juice
2.5 lbs of clover honey
1 lb brown sugar
5 cinnamon sticks
2 ozs whole cloves
(was thinking about adding some chamomile whole tea)
1 vial liquid english cider yeast(was going to use nottingham yeast though)

now i guess i am looking for fermenting time and length, advice on sweetness and dryness, advice on carbonating, and anyhting else i can get. I wont be starting this until sunday, and i check this site everyday. so any help i can get would be great.
In my opinion that's too much spice, the cloves will overpower it to hell, 2 oz will make it undrinkable, IF you're considering cloves then you should be considering 3-4 whole cloves not 2oz, they're very powerful little buggers. The Cinnamon would also be too much possibly, I'd cut that back to one stick at most. Thing is that you're really on the wrong thread with that spiced cider recipe as it has nothing to do with the original recipe posted apart from the apple juice....
I've made very similar ciders to what you are proposing before, but I'd not use spices myself and I'd also add some teabags as in the original recipe here for tannins, otherwise the body will not be there.

You didn't say you didn't love me, when you were stretched out across my bed
You're drinkin' moonshine whisky and talking all outta your head.
Rory Gallagher - Pistol Slapper Blues (Trad)

Old 02-11-2011, 07:26 PM   #140
Freezeblade
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 13 Posts

I can really only vouch for the recipe as written, which is without the brown sugar, honey or spices.

I really think that IF you were going to do spices, which I don't recomend, that'd be far too much cloves. A much better method for adding spice (IMHO) is to mull the cider when you serve it. As for the camomile, seems strange, the point of adding the black tea is for the tannins to add body.

I've gotten a spicy or herbyness to the cider before, but they were all yeast-driven esters from doing the recipe with a belgian yeast. WLP530 in paticular was very interesting in this respect, if that's what you're going for.

Any time that you add more fermentables (honey, brown sugar) the end result will be drier, not sweeter, and will take way longer to age out in the long run. Again, I really suggest doing as the recipe is written, as that is what gives me the best results, but you are certainly more then welcome to do whatever you want with it. It's your cider afterall.

Aging:Public House Dry Stout, Procrastination Porter, Mr. Brown Ale, Westvleteren 12 Clone, Mead, Duvel Clone, Graham's English Cider 6-21, Belgian Draak Strong Ale, Fig Melomel, Acerglyn, Restorative Tonic Metheglyn

Quick Reply