Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Cider > Graham's English Cider

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2010, 11:32 AM   #111
copper
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Juice.

"Without a doubt the single and most dramatically significant thing that can spoil the taste of your beer is...worrying." -C. Papazian

Primary: Hefewiezen II
Primary:
Bottled: Viginti Irish Red, Deception Cream Stout, EdWort's Apfelwein
Drinking: Deception Cream Stout, Apfelwein

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2010, 12:26 AM   #112
emr454
Recipes 

Just made a batch of this last week using Nottingham and it is the first ever batch that I needed a blowoff tube for! Crazy fermentation! went from 1.052 to 1.020 in 2 days.

Eric

Old 10-06-2010, 01:12 AM   #113
MarshyTheKid
Recipes 

Just blew my keg of this. I was so disappointed.

Secondary: Empty
Keg 1: Bridgeport IPA Clone(Kegged on 09/27/09, 5.5%)
Keg 2: St. Feuillien Abbey Ale(Kegged 07/20/09, 7.8%)
Bottled: Espresso Stout(Bottled on: 10/25/08), Boddington's Bitter(Bottled on: 10/10/09, 3.5%), Graff(Bottled on: 10/21/09, 8.0%)

Old 10-06-2010, 06:48 PM   #114
Freezeblade
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshyTheKid View Post
Just blew my keg of this. I was so disappointed.
Sounds like you should have made up another batch as soon as the first was done fermenting! never too late though.
Aging:Public House Dry Stout, Procrastination Porter, Mr. Brown Ale, Westvleteren 12 Clone, Mead, Duvel Clone, Graham's English Cider 6-21, Belgian Draak Strong Ale, Fig Melomel, Acerglyn, Restorative Tonic Metheglyn

Old 10-06-2010, 08:52 PM   #115
Gremlyn
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I should really get mine into a keg finally... and then start a fresh batch.

Old 10-18-2010, 10:16 PM   #116
msumike2001
Recipes 

I have some extra 5 gallon better bottles i am not using should I be ok start some 4 gallon batches in them. should I change the amount of tea bags and limes?

Old 10-26-2010, 05:51 AM   #117
themax
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freezeblade View Post
When I bottled the cider was very clear (although not quite crystal clear, as the picture is), the smell was nice and apply, but the taste was green. I don't know how else to describe it, but there is this flavor that is associated with dry cider that is too young, it's not apply at all, or even fruity even, just kinda...I guess sort of bitter. Needless to say, that's why you let it sit for a while, this pint after aging was perfectly divine, apply, fruity, a little tart and with a nice mouthfeel. A perfect example of why dryer ciders need aging.
I have been reading this thread for inspiration and advice. I have four one-gallon experiments going in the basement. Thanks for posting and explaining your recipe. When my experiments are done with local pressed juice I will be doing a big batch of your recipe with store juice.

Here is a dry vs sweet cider question: I just racked two gallons to secondary today and tasted my hydrometer samples. These are apple juice with key lime juice and some wine tannin. They definitely have a "green" or plastic taste and I am expecting them to get better with time. When people crash, keg, and drink a cider before it ferments dry, does the remaining sugar cover up these tastes, or are they a result of the fermentation to dryness? Does anybody have any guesses?

When I racked two cysers with enough honey added to get to 1.090, they were dry but these flavors were not there. These were from the same juice but did not have lime or tannins added.

Old 10-26-2010, 06:50 PM   #118
Freezeblade
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by themax View Post
When people crash, keg, and drink a cider before it ferments dry, does the remaining sugar cover up these tastes, or are they a result of the fermentation to dryness? Does anybody have any guesses?

When I racked two cysers with enough honey added to get to 1.090, they were dry but these flavors were not there. These were from the same juice but did not have lime or tannins added.
Easy answer on my part. Who knows? I built this recipe to be dry, and have never done a sweet or semi-sweet batch using the same recipe. After sufficiant aging the cider tastes good, before that it tastes all sorts of strange green and not too good, depending on the juice/yeast used. My guess with the cyser, if it's young, has green mead flavors covering the green cider ones, especally as almost half the fermentables are from honey.
Aging:Public House Dry Stout, Procrastination Porter, Mr. Brown Ale, Westvleteren 12 Clone, Mead, Duvel Clone, Graham's English Cider 6-21, Belgian Draak Strong Ale, Fig Melomel, Acerglyn, Restorative Tonic Metheglyn

Old 10-28-2010, 01:09 PM   #119
jamesjensen1068
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Freezeblade,
I just started my first batch or cider last Saturday. Didn't see this recipe until today and was wondering if it would be to late to do the lime and tea addition. I used store bought juice, 1lb of sugar, WLP775, and had an OG of 1.056. Fermentation has been rockin since less than 18hrs after I pitched. Oh yeah I also added yeast nutrient to this batch. So is the lime/tea addition a go? Thanks for posting this recipe!

Cheers

Edit: Going to make the additions per Freezeblades recommendation via PM. Can't wait for this one....

Old 10-29-2010, 08:41 PM   #120
bc5000
Recipes 

I just made a 5 gal batch exactly like the recipe in the OP.

Was I supposed to dissolve the nutrient before I added it? I just dumped everything in without stirring.

Or will the action from fermenting mix things up?

Quick Reply