Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Cider > Graham's English Cider

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2010, 11:32 PM   #91
Palefire
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freezeblade View Post
1. it really depends on the yeast used, I've had ones that krausen up like crazy (wlp037, wlp005, WLP400 off hand) and ones that didn't that much, (any wine yeast, lager yeasts, some ale yeasts). this being said though, I've had the same yeasts that didn't have much krausen one time krausen all over the place other times. TLDR version; shouldn't too much, but keep a blow-off handy.

2. Granted proper yeast nutrient, the bulk of fermentation should be over in a week at proper temps (in the ale range). if you keep it really cold it will obviously take much longer and maybe stall out.

3. To a point the temp after the bulk of fermentation temps won't matter. I say to a point meaning room temp will be fine (I actually ferment my ciders at room-temp-ish, 72F) but if you get upper 80's or 90's there will probably be issues.

Cool, thanks for the info! Just brewed (mixed?) up a batch last night; it's bubbling away happily as I write. I'll be sure to post tasting notes in, oh, 7 months or so!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2010, 02:06 AM   #92
Dr_Gordon_Freeman
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

My cider came out very dry. It's taken a few months but now it's finally starting to come into its own. I'm guessing that four months is the magic number to achieve good cider.

Old 04-30-2010, 04:21 AM   #93
Coastarine
We get it, you hate BMC.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I think you guys are nuts, the keg I am drinking from right now, which wasn't backsweetened, was pitched on 3/9/2010, 3 weeks in primary, and then a week or two in the keg before tapping. I've been drinking it for a few weeks too, it is definitely more than half gone. It is less than two months old, but it was delicious from the first glass. I will say that usually I like them backsweetened a bit and I could see how that would take less aging.

On Tap.........[The Munchner][Spiced Cider][English Cider][Simcoe IPA][Triple Hops Grooved][Cider'n 'gnac]

Old 05-03-2010, 05:26 AM   #94
Gremlyn
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Three weeks in and I racked to secondary tonight, also harvested the yeast to wash. The 775 definitely keeps the apple flavour, quite pronounced even in this young cider. Not sure it dried out as much as I wanted, but I'll see when it's done before I make the final decision.

Old 05-09-2010, 11:18 PM   #95
HopsMan
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Hey! Just started a half batch of this...which was a mistake, should have gone whole considering how good it smells now that fermentation has started.

I had a question on bottling, you say add 4 oz of priming sugar, I'm assuming to the entire batch, prior to bottling, does this ever cause any issues with bottle bombs? And how much carbonation does this result in?

Old 05-10-2010, 01:23 AM   #96
Freezeblade
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopsMan View Post
Hey! Just started a half batch of this...which was a mistake, should have gone whole considering how good it smells now that fermentation has started.

I had a question on bottling, you say add 4 oz of priming sugar, I'm assuming to the entire batch, prior to bottling, does this ever cause any issues with bottle bombs? And how much carbonation does this result in?
4oz increases the SG of the cider by approximately 0.002 and is the same amount of sugar added to beer to bottle carbonate a batch. So no, this would cause no bottle bombs granted that the cider is fermented down to 1.000 or so previous to bottling.
Aging:Public House Dry Stout, Procrastination Porter, Mr. Brown Ale, Westvleteren 12 Clone, Mead, Duvel Clone, Graham's English Cider 6-21, Belgian Draak Strong Ale, Fig Melomel, Acerglyn, Restorative Tonic Metheglyn

Old 05-10-2010, 04:28 PM   #97
HopsMan
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Quick question, the odor coming out of the fermentation lock after two days of fermenting has gone from a nice,sweet apple smell, to that same smell tinged with sulfur. I have read that some yeasts can produce a sulfuric smell in beer, I would imagine it's also the case in ciders.

However, I have to ask, is this normal?

Old 05-10-2010, 04:41 PM   #98
Gremlyn
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopsMan View Post
Quick question, the odor coming out of the fermentation lock after two days of fermenting has gone from a nice,sweet apple smell, to that same smell tinged with sulfur. I have read that some yeasts can produce a sulfuric smell in beer, I would imagine it's also the case in ciders.

However, I have to ask, is this normal?
Very much so. Did you use the yeast nutrient? It usually helps to cut down on the sulphur production, but it won't get rid of it all.

My cider is coming along nicely, once it clears a little more I'm going to rack it to a keg. I can see through it now, but it's still quite hazy.

Old 05-10-2010, 04:46 PM   #99
HopsMan
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Excellent, thanks for the response!

Yeah, I started with a very hazy natural apple juice...which is ok, it won't ever be crystal clear, but should be tasty. I bought a separate carboy to just use as a cider container, so when this gets done, I'll be trying to find a natural, clear apple juice around here. Looking forward to hearing how yours turns out Gremlyn!

Edit: I did not use the yeast nutrient...however, I may start doing that, the odor is...unique!

Old 06-26-2010, 03:23 AM   #100
copper
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks, freezeblade! I'm pitching a couple gallons of this tomorrow. I really love a dry English pub cider, so I'm really looking forward to this brew! I'm glad you shared it and glad I found it.

Quick Reply