Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Cider > Graff (Malty, slightly hopped cider)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2010, 04:34 PM   #971
klyph
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 3

The malt sweetness is what makes it more palatable sooner. The hops just give it a little character. If you don't like the original because it's too dry/tart, up the amount of crystal malt to sweeten it a bit.

Primary: saison
Secondary: nada
Conditioning: macaroon stout
Drinking: store bought

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2010, 01:35 AM   #972
FordFan
Recipes 

I need a quick hand guys and gals. I could only get the torrified wheat and 60L in 1lb packages from Northern Brewer. I have no way of weighing out for the correct amount. I don't not own one of those small scales or anything. Basically I was wandering if there was another way to measure for the correct amount. I am sure there is a way to weigh it out by volume and not weight. Thanks for help!!

Old 10-15-2010, 02:11 PM   #973
Recluse
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Well the best way would be to get another container to store it in (you might want to do this anyway... I use big gallon Ziploc freezer bags). Transfer it to the Ziploc with a measuring cup (or 1/2 cup, whatever) Count the number of transfers and you can calculate the oz by weight/unit volume and go to town.

So, for example, if 1 lb (16 oz) of torrified wheat takes 4 cups to transfer, that is 4 oz/cup and you would use 1/4 cup for the 1 oz called for in the recipe. (THIS IS JUST AN EXAMPLE, I HAVE NO IDEA IF THIS IS THE ACTUAL WEIGHT/VOL RATIO)

Old 10-15-2010, 02:22 PM   #974
FordFan
Recipes 

Sweet this is what I used. Came up with 3.25 cups with the wheat which came to about 1/4 cup and 4.5 cups for the 60L which came out to 1/3 cup. Thanks for your help! SWMBO is going to love me for this one!

Old 10-15-2010, 02:26 PM   #975
RugenBrau
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Wow...my graff has taken off like crazy. My ciders always have a pretty mild fermentation but this looks like it boiling away!

"Your HYDROMETER is the only BEST indicator of fermentation activity. Nothing else is accurate or consistent"...Revvy

Old 10-16-2010, 05:17 PM   #976
darksidedrinker
Recipes 

Have got a 23 L carboy of this going with apple/pear fresh pressed cider as a base and can't wait to taste it. In the carboy 2 weeks today.

Old 10-17-2010, 09:12 PM   #977
jar234psu
Recipes 

I made this a week ago and unfortunately my LHBS was out of nottingham, so i subbed in some windsor. My fermenting chamber hovers around 68, and I'd say that this batch was slooow to start, compared to what I am used to. 3 days before any visible signs of fermentation, and it is currently bubbling away but not very vigorously.

I used 5 gallons of fresh pressed cider from a local orchard here in NC. There was 0.01% potassium sorbate, which i assume is responsible for the slower than normal fermentation. We made a cider last year from the same orchard, and had no trouble getting down to about 1.001, so i'm not too worried.

Just tasted a sample, and it is delicious. Very sweet, which I assume is because primary fermentation hasn't completed although i didn't take a hydro reading so I cant say for sure.

If the final product tastes half as good as the sample I just drank, I am going to be a happy camper. Just told SWMBO that i'll buy another 5 gallons of cider before the season ends, so that we can have some on hand for the spring. Cheers, brandon... I'm looking forward to tasting the final product!

Old 10-18-2010, 07:10 AM   #978
klyph
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 34 Posts

So after the old lady's comment about it tasting like vomit, I forced her to try some that had been kegged for a little over a month now. She begrudgingly admitted that it was delicious. I think it was just a hypersensitivity to the yeast still in suspension and the fact that she never wants to admit when I have achieved awesomeness.

Seriously, this stuff goes from good to amazing if you let it age for a while. Love how dry and balanced it is. The tartness fades over time.

Primary: saison
Secondary: nada
Conditioning: macaroon stout
Drinking: store bought

Old 10-18-2010, 10:02 PM   #979
TRainH2o
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Mine finished out at 1.03 using repitched yeast from my Centennial Blonde Ale.. It's a bit dryer than I was expecting. It has been cold crashing for the past two weeks. I'll carb it up an see how it is after carbonation.

Arrogant Bastard Clone
Imperial Red Ale
Blonde Ale

Fermenting
Munich Helles
German Pilsner
Mango Wine
Peach Wine

Bottled
Mango Wine
Westy 12 Clone

Old 10-18-2010, 10:44 PM   #980
jamesjensen1068
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Hey...just want to say that after initally questioning this lovely elixer....I truely love it. It does, like a lot of beers, etc. get better with age. I find myself grabbing one over my stout and cream ale lately...might be the time of year or the fact that I drank stout and cream ale alllllll summer long. If you are on the fence about brewing this...just do it!

Cheers

Quick Reply