Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Cider > Graff (Malty, slightly hopped cider)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2010, 03:20 PM   #941
jamesjensen1068
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Sounds like a good plan. Best of luck with the pumpkin and of course post your results. I'm sure many would be interested.

Cheers

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2010, 04:14 AM   #942
mattdev
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cscoggin View Post
I have the same (but with crystal 120) fermenting away right now. What yeast did you use? I have the same OG so curious if I am going to end up in much the same place (safale-05).
I used Nottingham. We tried a bit of the undercarbonated stuff last night and it was quite delicious. I can't wait to see how it turns out after a few weeks.

On Deck: ??
Primary: German Pilsner
Secondary: Berliner Weisse
Keg #1: Märzen
Keg #2: RyePA
Bottle: Cherry Oak Barley Wine, Passion Fruit Pale, Schwarzbier

Old 10-02-2010, 11:57 PM   #943
gratefullydeadicated
Recipes 

After loving my first batch even before it was 2 weeks old, I had to try pumpkin spice version a couple weeks ago.

I added 2 cans of pumpkin sprinkled with about 1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice that I roasted in the oven for about an hour. I added this to my boil and followed the recipe accordingly. My OG was a little lower than my first batch for some reason....I was expecting the opposite.

When I sampled during transfer to the carboy last week, I didn't get much pumpkin or spices so I think I'm going to make a tea and add a little more spice., but I hear that most of these flavors come out during aging so I am going light.

I will bottle some time in the next couple weeks, so I will let you guys know how it turns out. Can't wait!

Old 10-03-2010, 06:38 PM   #944
IndyMatt
Recipes 

I just tasted it after two weeks in the carboy, it was VERY tart. It may just need to age in the bottles some? I used cider not juice and it is definitely not clear, more of a pumpkin looking orange color. I sanitize everything, I mean everything so I don't think it has gone bad.

OG was 1.60 and finished right at 1.00, I think I will add some splenda to sweeten.

Last edited by IndyMatt; 10-03-2010 at 07:06 PM.

Old 10-03-2010, 07:29 PM   #945
XtremeBrew
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Made my batch today. LHBS didn't have any torrified wheat, so I decided to go with regular red wheat. I also added 1oz of honey wheat. I also used 2lbs of dark DME instead of the light/dark mix. Waiting for it to cool down now so I can pitch the Notty. Smells very interesting. I can't wait to keg this and enjoy it!

Old 10-03-2010, 09:50 PM   #946
gratefullydeadicated
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyMatt View Post
I just tasted it after two weeks in the carboy, it was VERY tart. It may just need to age in the bottles some? I used cider not juice and it is definitely not clear, more of a pumpkin looking orange color. I sanitize everything, I mean everything so I don't think it has gone bad.

OG was 1.60 and finished right at 1.00, I think I will add some splenda to sweeten.
Keep faith alive, IndyMatt...I thought the same thing when I tasted my first batch at bottling time (FG 1.008). It was really sour and hazy, and got even worse when I tasted a bottle 4 days after bottling....VERY sour with no taste of apples anywhere. Let me tell you though...I have had a sample a week and just had another after 24 days in the bottle and WOW! This is getting better than almost any commercial cider I have tried. Almost all the sourness has disappeared, the apple flavor and sweetness has returned and it has cleared up perfectly!

I just brewed my second batch a couple weeks ago and thought I was going to prime it with AJ concentrate to bring out more sweetness and apple flavor, but after just tasting that last bottle, I am wondering if I should just do everything the same as I did the first time.

Old 10-04-2010, 07:05 PM   #947
IndyMatt
Recipes 

That is reassuring, I back sweetened with splenda so it will be on the sweeter side which is good for me. I will try another back as long as this turns out good and see how it goes without back sweetening. Of course mine was a lot lower FG than yours it was 1.00, I measured 4 times just to make sure it was a true reading.

Old 10-07-2010, 10:01 PM   #948
petey_c
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 34 Posts

I brewed 5 gals in Aug. and had two bottles so far. Neither was to my liking. I think the problem is with what I'm drinking before (beer). I tried some this morning and it wasn't nearly as bad as last night. So after I get off work (and get home) I'll try some first. I'd hate to think I'd wasted 5 gals of Graff... pete

Old 10-07-2010, 10:05 PM   #949
klyph
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Some people just plain don't like it. I like it, but my wife hates it. Everyone's different I guess.

Primary: saison
Secondary: nada
Conditioning: macaroon stout
Drinking: store bought

Old 10-08-2010, 08:02 PM   #950
petey_c
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 34 Posts

Well, last night I had some Graff before I had any other beer. Not bad, but not impressive. I think I'd like a little more apple flavor. Since I have quite a few bottles in reserve, I'll continue my research. Time vs. taste.

Quick Reply