Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Cider > Graff (Malty, slightly hopped cider)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2010, 01:13 PM   #921
jamesjensen1068
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Sorry my mistake.... I'll remove my asshat now.

Old 09-21-2010, 01:40 AM   #922
bilder
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesjensen1068 View Post
Sorry my mistake.... I'll remove my asshat now.
Would be awesome if Target sold LME, but sadly it was just the juice.

I work at Target, but lucky for me the LHBS is just a couple miles away from work. Pretty easy to pick up some juice and then swing by the shop for the other stuff on the way home.

There is a skinny man inside of me crying to get out, but I can usually shut him up with some bacon.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2010, 03:10 PM   #923
Fletch78
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriangleIL View Post
My Graff came out a wee bit dry, however SWMBO loves it. She says its like Magners. I personally don't like cider much, so I am letting her drink it. In fact, it was brewed for her. I will say it has a nice head, is slightly malty and is not 'bad'. I did cold crash it @ 35 for 5 days, however it didn't clear very well. Even after sitting in the keg for a few days, it still isn't overly clear. However, there is a possibility I need to get more out before all the last remaining sediment is gone.
TriangleIL, your recipe looks very similar to what I was going to try. Do you think going up to 8 oz of honey malt would compensate for some of the dryness? Thanks!

RE: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f81/graf...ml#post2154852

Old 09-23-2010, 03:37 PM   #924
jamesjensen1068
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
I'm the type where I like to drink my beers during the process of making, at bottling time and during the 2 to 3 weeks of bottle conditioning.

Needless to say I've done the same thing with the Graff. After two weeks it's carbinated great.....but I must say I'm underwhelmed by the taste. It's not that its bad...it's just that so far I'm not saying, "Wow...I gotta have another one of those". Should I really expect much more change in taste in the following weeks???

Cheers.
Ok so I stand corrected. The additional week bottle conditioning and a few extra days in the fridge has made all the difference. The apple flavor is coming thru more and I took your advice about drinking 3 in a row . The more I drink it the better I like it. I gave a sixer to a buddy of mine. His general feeling was that he liked it but felt it could use a slice of orange or lemon.

I think part of the enjoyment of this delicious drink is that you have to remember that it is not a beer or cider, it's a hybrid....and any flavor expectations you have on what it "should" taste like need to be set aside until you brew a batch and try it....not saying that you shouldn't tweek it to suit your taste pallet. I would love to make a batch of this with fresh pressed apple cider. I'll be bring some into work tomorrow to share with co-workers. I've been using the term "Apple Ale" to describe it to others.

For anyone on the fence about brewing a batch...just do it. Will I be brewing another batch...Yes!

Cheers

Old 09-24-2010, 01:18 PM   #925
gratefullydeadicated
Recipes 

I know there were posts about using AJ concentrate to prime at bottling time. Can anyone tell me how well this worked and if this added any sweetness and how much to use?

Old 09-24-2010, 08:03 PM   #926
elproducto
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Any problem with Crystal 45 instead of 60 or 120? I have 2 pounds that I"m not using. I have everything else, so I don't want to have to buy more Crystal if I don't want to.

Old 09-27-2010, 03:15 AM   #927
tippetsnapper
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tippetsnapper View Post
I used this recipe as a guideline and made a 5 gallon batch with 3 gallons of fresh peach cider (gravity of 1.035) and 2 gallons of wort. I pasteurized the cider for 10 mins at 160, let cool, then racked it onto the wort after the boil. I will add 2.5 pounds of peach puree to the primary after day 3 of fermentation, give it a few more days, then sorbate/sulfite it, then rack to secondary over another 2.5 lbs of puree to back sweeten. Here's what I used:

1/2 lb crystal 10L
1/2 lb crystal 40L - both steeped for 30 mins around 150

1 lb - light DME
3.3 lbs - amber LME
0.5 oz - 5.5% Mt.Hood

30 minute boil, used wort chiller, pitched Wyeast ESB 1968 last night around 1030, bubbling this morning at 7, forgot to get an OG. I plan on kegging after two weeks in the secondary. If additional sweetness is not needed, the second puree addition will be foregone. I'll let you know how it turns out.
Ok, this turned out absolutely gang busters. I didn't need to backsweeten at all, it finished around 1.016 and just tastes heavenly. I might scale back the hops a hair, but still good as is. If anyone can get their hands on some peach cider, give this a try.

Thanks Brandon!!!

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal labotomy"

Old 09-27-2010, 03:25 PM   #928
jbrookeiv
Beer Review Dude
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gratefullydeadicated View Post
I know there were posts about using AJ concentrate to prime at bottling time. Can anyone tell me how well this worked and if this added any sweetness and how much to use?
I'd love to know about this as well.

My Beer Review Blog: Beer Review Dude
My Craft Beer Social Network: Craft Beer Network

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebrewtastic View Post
I think a more pertinent question is where is AB and Miller Coors getting all of their horse urine?
Primary: Belgian Pale Ale w. Brett | Saison | Mango Pulp Wine | Graff, 10 gal

Bottled / Kegged: Hopped Imperial Wheat | AK47 Pale Mild, BIAB | AHS 20th Anniv. IPA, No Chill | Apfelwein
Leftover IIPA, No Chill | All-Molasses Ale | BIAB Black IPA | BIAB Hoppy Stout | JAOM | RyePA

Old 09-27-2010, 06:57 PM   #929
jamesjensen1068
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Anybody make this with fresh pressed cider. I got a lock on a local orchard that will sell me as much cider as I want with no preservatives.

Wondering if I should do a batch of Graff or just a straight Cider??

Old 09-27-2010, 07:51 PM   #930
tippetsnapper
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Anybody make this with fresh pressed cider. I got a lock on a local orchard that will sell me as much cider as I want with no preservatives.

Wondering if I should do a batch of Graff or just a straight Cider??
Look at my post just a couple above this one. Granted it was peach, but turned out very, very well. Just have to compensate in the recipe by measuring the OG of the cider.

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal labotomy"

Quick Reply