Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Cider > Graff (Malty, slightly hopped cider)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2009, 01:09 AM   #521
titobandito
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by huknbuk View Post
So, I experienced a first for me. I cooked this up the other night (just a few, small tweaks). I used Safale US-05, didn't hydrate it, sprinkled it right in, it was bubbling through my blowoff tube in under an hour.
I don't hydrate Safale US-05 anymore either. It's just one more step that could possibly introduce an infection. It's always worked great so far.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2009, 09:39 PM   #522
MrInternet
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

So... I have had this in primary for a bit over two weeks now, and the krausen still hasn't fallen. Has anyone else noticed this? I used Safale-05 and the basic recipe as posted, subbing flaked wheat and 1 gallon of cranberry/raspberry. The krausen o this went like 4 or 5 inches, and seems to be taking it's sweet time...

I know, I know... RDWHAHB. Let the yeast do their job. I am honestly just curious...

Old 11-21-2009, 09:45 PM   #523
tsrblke
Recipes 

I'm at 2 weeks in the primary and although my Krausen has long ago fallen, I'm still getting some substantial bubbling in my airlock (about 1/minute, which seems a lot all things considered). It's not exactly a small brew (my initial estimates put it at about 6.5-7%ABV) so my guess is it's just a long fermenter.

Old 11-22-2009, 02:15 AM   #524
tsrblke
Recipes 

Random Aside, Any one have any idea at the amount of sugar/other starches left in this at the end of fermentation? My Dad's a Diabetic and wants to know if he can have one. I'd imagine it's not many given that all the fermentable sugars should be converented to Alcohol.

Old 11-22-2009, 03:01 AM   #525
titobandito
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsrblke View Post
I'm at 2 weeks in the primary and although my Krausen has long ago fallen, I'm still getting some substantial bubbling in my airlock (about 1/minute, which seems a lot all things considered). It's not exactly a small brew (my initial estimates put it at about 6.5-7%ABV) so my guess is it's just a long fermenter.
It's probably just off-gassing a little and nothing to worry about. Take a hydrometer reading now and again in a few days to see if the SG is still dropping. It can be very difficult to gauge fermentation by watching your airlock.

Old 11-22-2009, 04:03 AM   #526
HalfPint
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Alright, it's been in the primary for two weeks now and the FG is 1.010. I followed the recipe to the "T" using 120L and Kent Goldings.

This stuff is fantastic. It goes down smooth and finishes with a hint of apple. It has a mild brown color that I'd say is a tad bit darker than plain Apple Cider.

Sorry Ed, but this stuff kicks Apfewein square in the teeth (and it's only at two weeks)! I'm going to let it go for another couple of weeks and then it will go straight into the kegerator.

Thanks for the recipe sir,
J

Old 11-22-2009, 03:14 PM   #527
Recluse
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I found the taste changes considerably on aging. I really liked it when I bottled after 3 weeks. Nice and apple-y. After priming and bottle conditioning for a couple of weeks, it tasted very malty. More like beer with little or no apple taste. Then after a few more weeks in the bottle, a little more carbonation and the balance between the apple and malt was coming back. I made a batch of Apfelwein at about the same time, and I have to say I like the Apfelwein better at this point...but BOTH are very young and changing flavors whenever I crack open one.

GRAFF: Started on 5-Sep-2009, bottled on 27-Sep-2009
Apfelwein: Started 27-Aug-2009, bottled 7-Nov-2009)

Last edited by Recluse; 11-22-2009 at 03:24 PM.

Old 11-22-2009, 04:34 PM   #528
HalfPint
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recluse View Post
I found the taste changes considerably on aging. I really liked it when I bottled after 3 weeks. Nice and apple-y. After priming and bottle conditioning for a couple of weeks, it tasted very malty. More like beer with little or no apple taste. Then after a few more weeks in the bottle, a little more carbonation and the balance between the apple and malt was coming back. I made a batch of Apfelwein at about the same time, and I have to say I like the Apfelwein better at this point...but BOTH are very young and changing flavors whenever I crack open one.

Apfelwein is just a little boring to me. I really enjoy the smoothness that the graff has compared to Apfelwein.

This probably derives from the fact that I'm much more of a beer person than a wine person and Apfelwein tastes a lot like white wine.

They're both good in their different ways. I wonder if adding the priming sugar changed the taste a bit. That's one of the reasons I quit bottling. I noticed a certain taste every time I bottled through the years.

I'm sure it's delicious,
J

Old 11-22-2009, 05:54 PM   #529
oparea
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recluse View Post

I wonder how well graff would age and taste after say a year in the bottle...I still have 2 set aside from June.

Old 11-22-2009, 07:33 PM   #530
tsrblke
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by titobandito View Post
It's probably just off-gassing a little and nothing to worry about. Take a hydrometer reading now and again in a few days to see if the SG is still dropping. It can be very difficult to gauge fermentation by watching your airlock.
I'm not worried, I can't bottle until after Thanksgiving anyway. Three weeks in the Fermenter oughtta do it.

Quick Reply