Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Cider > Graff (Malty, slightly hopped cider)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2009, 01:21 AM   #501
Hilbert
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

cool thanks. that's a lower abv than I thought this would have been.

Can't wait to brew this.

Tap 4: Heffe

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2009, 01:57 AM   #502
racin_ny
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Default 6 More Gallons

I whipped up 6 gallons of this today. Added a few light toasted oak chips and some cinnamon. Bubbling away now with Safale S-04 O.G 1.049

Old 11-15-2009, 02:14 AM   #503
strohs
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Enjoying one of these right now in celebration of the Buckeyes upcoming trip to the Rose Bowl!

Old 11-15-2009, 08:29 PM   #504
dap325
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Just brewed up my second batch of Graff the other day. I strayed a little from the recipe by adding 1lb clover honey at flameout and an ounce of apple cider spices in a grain bag thrown into the primary. OG was 1.066 and it is bubbling away like crazy thanks to a packet of Nottingham. Can't wait to try this one!

Old 11-15-2009, 08:49 PM   #505
jon
Recipes 

no bubbling so far, although there was a little pressure buildup in the fermenter (you could see the lid bulging up a bit). the beer I made same time yesterday has been bubbling all day today, so I pitched in 4 teaspoons of yeast nutrient and added some more nottingham yeast with some vigorous stirring. hopefully it will take off now.

smelled great when I had the fermenter open.

Old 11-15-2009, 09:00 PM   #506
WenValley
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have a batch of this in a carboy that was brewed four days ago. It's pretty murky still, will this start to clear? If so, how long does it take generally? Thanks.

'A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.'

Thomas Jefferson

Old 11-16-2009, 06:39 AM   #507
corexcore
Recipes 

Could one boil the grains in, say, half a gallon of apple juice? or maybe a bit less, and use other juice for sparging? I ask because I live in a dorm room at university; as such, space and money are both in high demand, and so I only make 1 gallon batches of brew. In such a small batch, the amount of water that could be used for boiling and then added into the juice mixture is pretty minimal. If the juice wouldn't work for boiling, would it be better to use the recommended amounts of water for both steeping and sparging the grains, then heating that water up to boiling temp and letting some of the water boil off? I really want to get some Graff going in a couple days when I get a carboy freed up!

Old 11-16-2009, 10:08 AM   #508
racin_ny
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Default Don't boil the juice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by corexcore View Post
Could one boil the grains in, say, half a gallon of apple juice? or maybe a bit less, and use other juice for sparging? I ask because I live in a dorm room at university; as such, space and money are both in high demand, and so I only make 1 gallon batches of brew. In such a small batch, the amount of water that could be used for boiling and then added into the juice mixture is pretty minimal. If the juice wouldn't work for boiling, would it be better to use the recommended amounts of water for both steeping and sparging the grains, then heating that water up to boiling temp and letting some of the water boil off? I really want to get some Graff going in a couple days when I get a carboy freed up!
I would use a small amount of water to gently steep the grain at 155 Deg F. Once complete remove the grain from the water add the hops and boil. Then I would not worry and have a homebrew and continue the process. I would avoid boiling the juice as it will lead to haze and may have a cooked flavor. Good Luck!

Old 11-16-2009, 04:32 PM   #509
corexcore
Recipes 

Alright, thanks a lot for the advice. I was probably going to not even bother with the hops anyway on such a small batch, so if I would only have to steep the grains in a bit of water, that'd be doable, I'm sure. Thanks again!

Old 11-16-2009, 09:31 PM   #510
Aminal
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oparea View Post
I made a batch with canned pumpkin that turned out great. I think the canned pumpkin had pie spices already added. I'll post the recipe if anyone is interested.
I'm interested in your recipe. Please post it. Thanks.

Vic

Quick Reply