Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Cider > Graff (Malty, slightly hopped cider)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2013, 07:54 PM   #2401
eltorrente
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by eltorrente View Post

I went with:
3lbs light DME
.75lbs Crystal 40
.5 oz Citra boil
.5 oz Citra after boil
1/2 Cinammon stick (Added right after boil, then put into fermenter)
Nottingham Yeast
.75 gallons of wort after boil
4.5 gallons Apple Juice

With that amount of Crystal, I couldn't see a reason for more grains focused on head retention.

I started with 1.25 gallons of water. I steeped the Crystal for 30 mins at 155 degrees. I then added the .5 oz of Citra as I heated up to boil - basically FWH addition. I added the 3lbs of DME and boiled for 30 mins, which took it down to .75 gallons. After the boil I added the half cinammon stick and another .5oz of Citra hops.

I cooled the pot down in the sink of cold water, then mixed it in with the Apple Juice. I used 4.5 Gallons of Apple Juice and the batch was 5.25 gallons, and an OG of 1.068. I dumped the whole pot into the fermenter and didn't bother trying to filter anything.

It started to bubble slowly after about 6 hours.

I'm starting the fermentation at 65 degrees, and will raise it one degree every 12 hours until I hit 69 degrees. I'll hold it there until the kruesen starts to drop, then I'll pull it out and let it finish at room temp. The half cinammon stick is sitting in the fermenter, hopefully it'll give a little bit of flavor without being overpowering.
So it's been about a month since I brewed this up, and have it carbonated and in the keg. When I first kegged it after 3 weeks, it was slightly tart but was still drinkable. Now it's really good.

My FG was 1.005 - 8.4% alcohol.

Really nice lacing and head retention. It almost tastes like a white wine, or at least has a similar affect on my palate. The bitterness is perfect, and there's an alcohol heat with a slight tartness and lingering sweetness. It's a nice drink. I've been drinking about 3 per day since I first kegged it - so I should bottle it pretty quick before I go through it all.

After I cold crashed for a few days at 35, I put it in a keg and used gelatin. Right when I transferred, I shook the keg under pressure to carb. It seemed to clear up within 2 days.

I'm going to bottle up about a case of this stuff and let it age a bit, but it's already quite good and I'm very happy with it.

Also, I used Yeast Nutrient to ensure there was a good environment for the yeast. The ferment never smelled like sulphur or any sort of bad smell, and it was a strong ferment all the way through.

Lacing:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2013, 10:36 AM   #2402
BrewerBear
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhammer View Post
"Steep the 60L and torrified wheat in .75 gallons of water @ 155 degrees for 30 mins.
Sparge with .25 gallons 170 degree water and throw away grains.
Add DME and bring to a boil.
Add hops when boiling starts and boil for 30 mins."

My kettle has a 1 gallon per hour boil off rate. After the 30 minute boil, I would be adding 1/2 gallon of wort to the fermenter rather than a full gallon. Should I increase the original amount of wort by 1/2 gallon or just start with 1 gallon for the boil?
I would shoot for one gallon post boil,but if I ended up with less would not lose sleep and just use more juice.
Old 11-01-2013, 10:20 PM   #2403
blackhammer
Recipes 

Likes Given: 14

Thanks BrewerBear, that's what I was thinking. I appreciate the info!

Old 11-03-2013, 01:54 PM   #2404
CliffMongoloid
Recipes 

Liked 394 Times on 299 Posts
Likes Given: 85

Well i got the cider to ferment using cider with potassium sorbate... Took about a week... And 2 different large starters but she's chugging along

forumrunner_20131103_095444.png  

Old 11-04-2013, 02:59 PM   #2405
divrguy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Subscribed! Gotta try this

Dive Often! Play Hard and Have a homeBrew!

Old 11-04-2013, 08:27 PM   #2406
TheToE
Recipes 

Hey guys, I'm a noob and have a question.
1.Regarding bottling: I hear people talk about bottle pasturizing when making ciders to avoid bottle bombs. Same thing apply with this recipe?

Old 11-05-2013, 02:53 AM   #2407
jeff62217
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheToE View Post
1.Regarding bottling: I hear people talk about bottle pasturizing when making ciders to avoid bottle bombs. Same thing apply with this recipe?
In my experience if you're using a wine or champagne yeast, yes pasteurizing is a good idea if you don't want to keep the bottles refrigerated. If you're using a beer yeast, like Nottingham or S04-S05 you'll be fine.

My understanding is the wine/champagne yeast will eat ALL of the available sugars post-fermentation while beer yeast will leave some.

Old 11-05-2013, 09:49 AM   #2408
TexasWine
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheToE View Post
Answer: It depends.... It depends on how much sugar you're using. A few ounces to prime and bottle condition, don't worry about pasteurizing. It'll act just like beer.

But, if you're adding enough sugar to prime AND sweeten, which a lot of folks do with cider, be ready to pasteurize when the times right.
Old 11-06-2013, 08:21 PM   #2409
CiderRules
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff62217 View Post

In my experience if you're using a wine or champagne yeast, yes pasteurizing is a good idea if you don't want to keep the bottles refrigerated. If you're using a beer yeast, like Nottingham or S04-S05 you'll be fine.

My understanding is the wine/champagne yeast will eat ALL of the available sugars post-fermentation while beer yeast will leave some.
Beer yeast will still eat all simple sugars. In my graffs I upped the caramel malt to 1 lb and my FG with wheat yeast has been 1.010 to .012 . Unless you are using a normal amount of priming sugar (4 oz give or take. I use 1 can of concentrate usually) you should pasteurize.

Old 11-06-2013, 09:55 PM   #2410
CliffMongoloid
Recipes 

Liked 394 Times on 299 Posts
Likes Given: 85

Heres my graff... Not bad

forumrunner_20131106_175427.jpg  

Quick Reply