Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Cider > Graff (Malty, slightly hopped cider)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2013, 01:13 PM   #2161
ZombieBrew83
Made in Detroit
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweed View Post
I'm making this right now. 3 gallons of some kmart special AJ, haha. Total will be 4 gallons. It was last minute I decided to do this tonight. I got a lb each of light and amber dme. Half lb of 120. S05 yeast and .4 oz of cascade 6.2% AA. I'll make sure my temp in the apt gets low to ferment this stuff.

Edit: blonde moment.... I grabbed 3 half gallon bottles of apple juice, duh! I shouldn't have a problem dumping those 3 more (1.5 gallons) into the carboy tomorrow to fill up to 4 gallons right? Rushing around not even thinking.
You'll be fine adding the rest of the AJ today.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2013, 06:41 PM   #2162
sweed
Recipes 

Liked 110 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieBrew83 View Post
You'll be fine adding the rest of the AJ today.
Thanks, I got 2 more gallons, so looks like I'll be around 4.5 gallons total. Probably closer to 4.25 since some water got boiled off.

Old 04-20-2013, 12:04 AM   #2163
sweed
Recipes 

Liked 110 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Just a fun pic

forumrunner_20130419_200434.png

Old 04-21-2013, 11:26 PM   #2164
dk4dk4
Recipes 

I find these recipes for cider finish pretty hot. 7-8 percent alcohol. What would a 5% final alcohol recipe look like for this Graff? I made this Graff a few months back like it but still a little too hot for the girls...

Thanks in advance!!

Old 04-22-2013, 01:55 AM   #2165
CiderRules
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dk4dk4 View Post
I find these recipes for cider finish pretty hot. 7-8 percent alcohol. What would a 5% final alcohol recipe look like for this Graff? I made this Graff a few months back like it but still a little too hot for the girls...

Thanks in advance!!
Cutting back the DME to 1lb should help. Otherwise, use a less attenuant yeast and/or backsweeten/dilute to desired abv with juice and pasteurize.

Old 04-22-2013, 04:54 PM   #2166
LeverTime
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dk4dk4 View Post

Thanks in advance!!
Wow! I've heard some criticisms of my graff, but heat has never been one of them, even when it was young. Do you mean it actually tastes hot (alcoholic), or do you mean they drank some and it had more of an effect than they were expecting?

Old 04-22-2013, 06:20 PM   #2167
Safa
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Whoops, I added 2lbs DME to my 2.5 gallon batch. OG 1.074, FG 1.012, 8.14% ABV

A little irreverence is good for the soul

Old 04-23-2013, 05:02 AM   #2168
woknblues
Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by woknblues View Post
I tried the honey malt as it was in an american wheat that I made, and I really enjoyed a nice residual sweetness from it. It isn't a smack you in the face "sickly sweet", although it might at higher doses, but certainly not at the levels I am using. It doesn't upset the refreshing aspects of the beverage, but still adds some "respectful" sweetness. Using special B is new to me so far (that will change soon), but it seems to have some nice complexities and appropriate nuances that will aid in what I am hoping to achieve with this brew.

My SG was 1.065, and I am embarrassed to say that I forgot to take a reading of it when I transferred it to kegs. I am not worried about the ferment, because it tastes plenty good at this point, and with kegs, it doesn't really matter too much anyway. After almost 3 months, I'd say she is done. I poured off a couple of bottles, so I will probably check the gravity then, just for the sake of knowing what happened!
Quote:
Forced carb tasting update:
This stuff is going to be awesome. Nice apple flavor is at the front. Nice creamy head and some lacing (hoping for more when fully carbed). The honey malt is there at the end, helping push back the tartness that is so common in apple ciders. It is good enough to drink right now, but I am going to force myself to wait a couple weeks until carbing is completely done. I may use the method of backsweetening in the keg with a couple pints of fresh juice if it dries out more. No worries. I am glad I took a chance and brewed 10 gallons, we will be getting through this stuff fast!
Quote:
I just picked up my grain bill, going to brew this tomorrow for a ten gallon batch.

6lb two row
1lb special b
4 oz honey malt
4 oz flaked wheat
8 oz carapils
1 oz us fuggles

I really want some body, residual sweetness and head retention here....

+8 gallons of sam's club AJ
Another follow up.. I figured I would quote the majority of my posts in this thread for continuity. This has been carbed up and sitting in my keezer for around a month now. Wow. very nice stuff. I am so glad I did 10 gallons of it. A nice head and lacing, mild sweetness, medium mouth feel with hints of dark fruit and a full apple (cheap AJ for the record) taste. I feel it will only continue to improve with age, probably up to a year or so (guaranteed also not to last long enough to know), and mine is in the kegerator at 38*.

My next batch I might up the 2 row a bit, say 2lb more than my current recipe in a 10 gallon batch and another half lb or so of the special b and another 2 ounces of the flaked wheat. Ill leave the hops as is. I get some of the hop character in the finish. I would also advise everyone doing this recipe to avoid the temptation to hop more than .5 oz per 5 gallon batch as Brandon O states in his first post! Hops go a long way when not matched entirely by malt.

I have also decided not to backsweeten so far. This bad boy dried down to 1.005 but has enough character to not pucker you up when you down a pint! (8% ABV!)

Primary#1: BM's Loon Lake Smoked Porter
Primary#2: Farmhouse Saison Brett
Secondary#1-4: Empty
Keg#1: Nothing fancy Choc Stout w/ nibs
Keg#2: Graff
Keg#3-4: Empty

watkinsj15 Likes This 
Old 04-23-2013, 09:48 AM   #2169
ender416
Recipes 

should you prime this b4 bottling or will it carbonate on its own in 3 weeks?

Old 04-24-2013, 09:09 PM   #2170
america
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ender416 View Post
should you prime this b4 bottling or will it carbonate on its own in 3 weeks?
If it's done fermenting (same hydrometer reading for 3days in a row) you'll need to add priming sugar if you want carbonation.

Quick Reply