Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Cider > Graff (Malty, slightly hopped cider)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2013, 11:06 PM   #2111
SilverZero
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 39

I wanted to come back to post some "on the record" notes for anybody who's interested. I brewed this right around the beginning of February, bottled it 2/23/13 (25 days ago). I followed the original recipe scaled up for a 7.5 gallon batch or so. I used C60, Kirkland AJ, white wheat in place of torrified, and 0.5oz Cascade hops @ 9.1% AA. I fermented at a constant 67F, it finished at 1.008 (down from 1.064), and I carbed with 6oz of sucrose for 2.5 vols CO2. By the numbers, this came out to 7.4% ABV.

I REALLY like this recipe the way it came out for me. Even after the bare-minimum bottle aging time of 2 weeks I found it tart, apple-y, and flavorful. It certainly does NOT taste harsh or alcoholic (to me), though it's definitely got some kick after I've slammed a bomber of it. I'm a fan of tartness, so what some may call harsh or green, I call tasty. I'd almost call it a loss if this gets smoother with age, but I'm sure it will only get better. The only thing I would change is the carbonation level as it's quite foamy even with a sloooooow pour, BUT I also haven't even bothered refrigerating any of these to let them "settle." I've just been pulling them out of the laundry room. I will throw one in the fridge today and let it sit for a while to see how it goes.

All in all, if you're afraid of this taking too long to age out, I say put a batch together NOW, try it when it's carbed, and THEN see if it needs more time. If you think it does, well, you're already 2 weeks into that time by the time you make that decision. Never put off until tomorrow what you could brew today.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2013, 11:11 PM   #2112
j1laskey
Recipes 

Liked 190 Times on 153 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Second batch for me. I used 1# of C60 let it sit for 6 weeks. Kegged it 3 days ago ..."forced carbed"....it is less tart than my first batch of 0.5 # C60....I love this stuf

image-1590633963.jpg

The Secretion Brewery

Let's think it over and stop making sense
kingboomer Likes This 
Old 03-21-2013, 11:17 PM   #2113
Weezy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 161 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 108

I might through a batch on a Saison yeast cake this weekend. I'll rack it to a secondary and store it til summer. Time should help.

Old 03-23-2013, 12:00 AM   #2114
hopbrad
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 14

anyone ever try this with some Hibiscus in it? i think the tartness of it would go well. was thinking either adding the dried rose pedals at flameout, or making a tea and putting it in after fermentation is done, or using the dried rose pedals as a dry hop. i think either way itll have a pretty color and awesome aroma.

Old 03-23-2013, 01:57 AM   #2115
pstrohs
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I brewed the below recipe on February 10th.

- 4 gal Costco Kirkland Apple Juice
- 2 lb Amber DME
- 7 oz Crystal 60
- 3 oz Crystal 85
- 2 oz White Wheat Malt
- 4 oz Lactose
- 4 oz Malto-Dextrine

- .5 oz Willamette

- Nottingham

- OG 1.063 FG 1.008

I just had my first glass of this from the keg and it is incredible. The tartness from the apple juice compliments the residual sweetness from the lactose and the mouthfeel of the malto-dextrine. I can't wait to taste this in a couple of months.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right"

Keezer Build

Old 03-23-2013, 08:33 AM   #2116
daggers_nz
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 13

finally got around to making this, following the OP recipe with Safale S-04. I noob'd out and must have not fully dissolved the LME, and it charred on the bottom of the pot. I syphoned off the liquid and left the burnt **** behind, didn't taste too bad pre-pitch

Drinking: Belgian IPA, Basil Lime Saison, Dark Saison, WY1007 Kolsch, Centennial Blonde

Old 03-23-2013, 10:16 AM   #2117
SeraphX117
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I made one with...

4# 2-row munich
.5# crystal 120
2 oz torrified wheat
2lbs brown sugar (10 min)
.5oz sterling (30 min)

2gallons mashed at 148 for 90min (by accident-forgot about headspace in MLT)

added 2 FCAJ into cooling wort

4 gallons cheap AJ

s-05 yeast

og 1.070
fg 1.006

tasted incredible! I had to stop myself from drinking it out of the primary!
(recommend blowoff)
can't wait until it is carbed!

Very little tartness it tastes like malty apples. - if u want something with a quick turnaround..try this

Nothing like running down to Home Depot and running into a group of "helpers" and saying "I need a 4' section of blowoff tube before my bung explodes out of my primary and I have Krausen everywhere!!- poolplayer

Old 03-23-2013, 07:46 PM   #2118
Pastorken
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Now, just because my first experimental version of this has not turned out the way I hoped, doesn't mean I'm not going to try it again! Any number of things in my 1 gallon batch could have been off. I do love the thought of a malty, lightly hopped, cider. Being a fan of sours and ciders, I know I'll do this again soon and see if I can get it right!

Old 03-23-2013, 08:01 PM   #2119
NashamBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well I have some initial tasting notes. I recently bottled a batch using plain ole priming sugar. I cracked my first bottle last night and am enjoying a glass as I type this. My first thoughts are to increase the Crystal 60 an additional 1/2lb. I'm also thinking the addition of 1/2lb chocolate malts would really make this brew shine. My logic behind this is there is an edginess to this that needs time to mellow out. With the added crystal 60 or chocolate malts I think this will dull the sharpness of the alcohol. I will update in a month to see how much this brew mellows out. In the mean time. A quick snap of my delectable brew.

image.jpg  

Old 03-25-2013, 12:55 PM   #2120
timcadieux
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Is there an official AG version of this? I'm sick of paying for DME/LME and i just participated in a grain bulk buy so......

Fermenting - 10g Galaxy Pale Ale
Kegged - Raging Red Irish Ale, Black Widow Kolsch
On Deck - Captain Hooked on bitters ESB
On Tap - Revvy's Leffe Blonde Clone, Founders Porter Clone

Quick Reply