Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Cider > Graff (Malty, slightly hopped cider)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2013, 03:54 PM   #2041
BrewerBear
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 23

I think I used 2/3 a cup and it worked out fine.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2013, 06:26 PM   #2042
timcadieux
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewerBear View Post
I think I used 2/3 a cup and it worked out fine.
that's what I did thx.

Fermenting - 10g Galaxy Pale Ale
Kegged - Raging Red Irish Ale, Black Widow Kolsch
On Deck - Captain Hooked on bitters ESB
On Tap - Revvy's Leffe Blonde Clone, Founders Porter Clone

Old 02-17-2013, 12:30 AM   #2043
MSU_BREW
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I brewed my first beer 2 weeks ago. I saw this recipe and decided I had to try it. I picked up the ingredients and should be brewing in the next few days. Thank you for the thread, I made it about 40 pages so far!

Old 02-18-2013, 12:40 PM   #2044
AcRocket
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcRocket View Post
One Week Mark- Im pretty sure this is done fermenting. Took a hyrdometer reading and it was at 1.004. Same as day 5. Starting to clear up a little. Not a cloudy. Taste - there is a good tart apple taste to it. better than it was 2 days ago. Time to let it sit in the carboy for another week then to bottles.

Bottled Last night. Used 2/3 cup of priming sugar. Hopefully that was enough, im going to let it sit for a few weeks and then ill check one out. Hopefully it'll sweeten up, it was still a little tart/sour. Ill give an update and let you know. Thanks

Primary #1- Scottish 80 Schilling
Primary #2 - Dave's Carmel Apple Cider
Bottled -BrandonO Graff,PDG Pale Ale
Next in line -Newell's Groundhog Cider
Planning - Chocolate Covered BEAVR Nutz

Old 02-19-2013, 01:56 AM   #2045
MSU_BREW
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

How much krausen does this recipe usually produce? I just brewed today and it is currently bubbling away in a 5 gal better bottle with a 3 piece airlock.

I currently only have the standard tubing that came ith my Midwest kit, and I don't think it will fit in the bung for a blow off tube. I've heard you can place sanitized aluminum foil over the carboy, anyone have experience with this?

Old 02-19-2013, 02:00 AM   #2046
SilverZero
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSU_BREW View Post
How much krausen does this recipe usually produce? I just brewed today and it is currently bubbling away in a 5 gal better bottle with a 3 piece airlock.

I currently only have the standard tubing that came ith my Midwest kit, and I don't think it will fit in the bung for a blow off tube. I've heard you can place sanitized aluminum foil over the carboy, anyone have experience with this?
Mine produced about an inch if that in my 8 gallon bucket. Less than any of my full beers have ever produced. It started fast and went fairly quick, it was down to 1.010 within a week on a fresh pack of Notty.

Old 02-19-2013, 02:08 AM   #2047
MSU_BREW
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverZero View Post
Mine produced about an inch if that in my 8 gallon bucket. Less than any of my full beers have ever produced. It started fast and went fairly quick, it was down to 1.010 within a week on a fresh pack of Notty.
Thanks for the quick feedback. I'm a new brewer and I'm a bit worried using 5 gal carboy with not a lot of headspace. I'm using US04 in about 64 degrees.

My primary bucket is 6.5 gallons and an airlock has been working great with an IPA using US05 in around 64 degrees.

Last edited by MSU_BREW; 02-19-2013 at 02:17 AM. Reason: I just realized the tubing that came with my kit fits inside the hole on the carboy bung so I've made a blow off tube

Old 02-19-2013, 02:33 AM   #2048
SilverZero
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Quote:
Thanks for the quick feedback. I'm a new brewer and I'm a bit worried using 5 gal carboy with not a lot of headspace. I'm using US04 in about 64 degrees.

My primary bucket is 6.5 gallons and an airlock has been working great with an IPA using US05 in around 64 degrees.
At 64F you should at least be protected against the yeast "going crazy" before you notice . . . no promises on that, though. Are you controlling based on internal temperature, or at least a fermometer? Or just ambient temps (which will be lower than the brew itself by a number of degrees)? I'd just keep an eye on it, especially the first 48 hours. In a carboy, the head space goes quickly due to the tapering volume. I'd put it on a towel or something just in case it goes off while you're in bed. Honestly, I'd put foil on it or just leave it open until it's settled. You can always re-sanitize the mouth of the carboy after you've cleaned up a blow-off. I'd rather do that than clean the ceiling if an airlock got clogged and blew off under pressure! I stopped using my glass carboys anyway, though, so I just use a bucket with a lid, without anything in the airlock hole (like you said, it's too small for a decent blow-off tube).

Old 02-19-2013, 02:43 AM   #2049
LeverTime
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:

I don't want to freak you out, but I used S05 in my most recent batch at an ambient temp of ~60 degrees, and the five gallon batch blew the airlock off the 6.5 gallon carboy it was fermenting in. You may want to consider a blowoff tube.

Old 02-19-2013, 03:56 AM   #2050
MSU_BREW
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverZero View Post
At 64F you should at least be protected against the yeast "going crazy" before you notice . . . no promises on that, though. Are you controlling based on internal temperature, or at least a fermometer? Or just ambient temps (which will be lower than the brew itself by a number of degrees)? I'd just keep an eye on it, especially the first 48 hours. In a carboy, the head space goes quickly due to the tapering volume. I'd put it on a towel or something just in case it goes off while you're in bed. Honestly, I'd put foil on it or just leave it open until it's settled. You can always re-sanitize the mouth of the carboy after you've cleaned up a blow-off. I'd rather do that than clean the ceiling if an airlock got clogged and blew off under pressure! I stopped using my glass carboys anyway, though, so I just use a bucket with a lid, without anything in the airlock hole (like you said, it's too small for a decent blow-off tube).
Looks like I'm at 65 ambient, I can't check the fermenting temp just yet as I need another LCD thermometer. I ended up adding the tube from my siphon to the carboy bung to rig a blow off tube just to be safe.

Quick Reply