Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Cider > Graff (Malty, slightly hopped cider)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2013, 11:17 PM   #2031
timcadieux
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverZero View Post

Got a Costco? Kirkland is not from concentrate, nothing added, $8.50 for 2 gallons at my store.
Our Costco sells Rougemont in cases of 6x 2L bottles for $10.99, so $20 and daddy and the kids are happy!

Fermenting - 10g Galaxy Pale Ale
Kegged - Raging Red Irish Ale, Black Widow Kolsch
On Deck - Captain Hooked on bitters ESB
On Tap - Revvy's Leffe Blonde Clone, Founders Porter Clone

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2013, 12:05 AM   #2032
Weezy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 163 Times on 122 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Here's a pic.

Old 02-13-2013, 12:15 AM   #2033
Weezy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 163 Times on 122 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by OcularTrauma View Post

I'm reading conflicting info about pectic enzyme... some say it only works pre-ferment because the alcohol will disrupt its function. Others are saying its fine after primary fermentation is complete.

Anyone have some actual experience with this stuff? I'll probably go dig around in the cider and wine sections and see what I can find.
I really like it. I put it in before ferment.

Clear Spiced Cider

Old 02-13-2013, 06:04 AM   #2034
fumanchu
Recipes 

Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by timcadieux View Post
Our Costco sells Rougemont in cases of 6x 2L bottles for $10.99, so $20 and daddy and the kids are happy!
Went with the allen's. Not from concentrate and absolutely delicious canned goodness. Tastes fresh. I tried the organic concentrate/water and it's just not as good, tastes old and lacking in flavour.

I bought a gallon of pineapple juice as well. That should be interesting. I don't think I'll make a graff this time around, but might boil just a little cascade and see how that turns out. A slightly hopped pineapple/apple cider.

Old 02-13-2013, 09:49 PM   #2035
AcRocket
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcRocket View Post
After 5 days of fermenting, and no more action in the airlock, i decided to take a look into the fermenter and take a hydrometer reading. It was 1.004. That was pretty quick. Im going to let it sit another few days and see if FG changes at all. It's a nice golden color. Since i used unfilter apple juice, or apple cider, i doubt it will clear up a lot.

The taste was tart, didnt really have any apple flavor at all, and was was completely flat. Looking forward to the end product.
One Week Mark- Im pretty sure this is done fermenting. Took a hyrdometer reading and it was at 1.004. Same as day 5. Starting to clear up a little. Not a cloudy. Taste - there is a good tart apple taste to it. better than it was 2 days ago. Time to let it sit in the carboy for another week then to bottles.
20130213_174453.jpg  

Primary #1- Scottish 80 Schilling
Primary #2 - Dave's Carmel Apple Cider
Bottled -BrandonO Graff,PDG Pale Ale
Next in line -Newell's Groundhog Cider
Planning - Chocolate Covered BEAVR Nutz

Old 02-14-2013, 01:12 PM   #2036
Wraithraider
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Mines been in the keg for a while now and I've enjoyed the flavor evolution. Has anybody run into the issue of it becoming too tart by adding too much malt?
Other than adding less in the next batch, how have others fixed that in the past?

Old 02-14-2013, 03:18 PM   #2037
jgonzo108
Recipes 

Bottled mine today after 2 weeks primary and 1 week in seconday. Finished off at 1.003. Tasted pretty good. The wife said "It has a beer taste" but she liked it. Hope she does because she has 2 cases of it.

image-783570403.jpg  

Old 02-14-2013, 05:58 PM   #2038
BarrelheadBrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

So, I "KIND" of made this a few weeks ago. My fourth batch of beer was a brown ale P.M. kit that I tried to rush through on a week night. Ended up using too much water, so what was supposed to yield 5.5 Gal into the fermenter ended with 6.25. OG was low, so I boiled up some DME to get me to the right starting point...

Once I hit FG, I racked 5 gallons into my carboy, and figured "What the heck!" Picked up 4 Gallons of Apple Juice from the store and dumped it in. Wish I'd taken an OG on this, but it was an after thought so I wasn't thinking straight. Two weeks later I checked the FG, .992. I was surprised to see it that low, but it sounds like it's not too uncommon, so I won't worry. I will note, that it was the worst smelling batch of anything I've ever had. I mean WOW it was strong.

It was super Cloudy at the two week mark so I racked it to secondary when I bottled the brown, which is where it's been for a week. It has clarified significantly (was surprised to see another inch of trub form in the bottom of the carboy.) Stell smells pretty atrocious, but it is drinkable. Not ENJOYABLE, but drinkable. I'm bottling it and a Porter this weekend. I'm guessing some bottle conditioning, carbing, then chilling should make it better.

At the very least it was a fun little experiment that didn't cost me anything more than a little leftover wort, and $12 worth of Apple juice; and worst case, I just store the bottles in a closet for a year, and I'm sure everything should turn out just fine! I'll check in again after I pop the first bottle in a few weeks.

Old 02-16-2013, 12:36 PM   #2039
RTPMedic
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I made this yesterday using the original recipe on page 1 of this thread. I had just bottled an all grain batch of White House Honey Ale, where I had used S-04, so I just poured it all in the fermenter on top of the yeast cake. I added 0.5 oz Cascade during the graff boil. Within 2 hours it was blowing the Star San out of the airlock, and it's still doing it this morning.

I'm guessing the yeast will impart some of the hop flavor from the beer into the cider as well.

Old 02-16-2013, 03:24 PM   #2040
timcadieux
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Argh, was getting ready to bottle and I noticed the recipe has nothing regarding how much priming sugar (dextrose ) for bottling..everyone just says, same rules apply as to beer. Umm, every beer style requires a different amount...I've seen references to 1/2cup and 3/4 cup, any ideas?

Fermenting - 10g Galaxy Pale Ale
Kegged - Raging Red Irish Ale, Black Widow Kolsch
On Deck - Captain Hooked on bitters ESB
On Tap - Revvy's Leffe Blonde Clone, Founders Porter Clone

Quick Reply