Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Cider > Graff (Malty, slightly hopped cider)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2013, 04:52 PM   #2001
Clifton
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 14

My opinion is that it needs six weeks to age. That is pretty quick for a cider.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2013, 11:42 PM   #2002
Sharkman20
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Mine was drinkable right away, but it was definitely a bit tart. Sad part is, right about when I killed the keg 4 weeks later is when it really started to get good and improved a lot. Next batch I make I'll let it age for a month before I tap it.

Old 02-04-2013, 04:03 AM   #2003
Clifton
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 14

The best one is always the last.

Old 02-04-2013, 09:11 PM   #2004
OcularTrauma
Recipes 

Ok, so I made this with 4 gallons fresh pressed cider, 3.3lbs LME and C80/90 and its been in primary w/ BRY-97 since 12/23. I fermented around 66-67F for 2-3 weeks then moved it to my 56F "cold closet" to settle and clear. It's not cleared. I added gelatin on 1/30 to try to move it along but its not helping.

I'm not sure what to do next. My first batch came out crystal clear after 3 weeks in primary with no finings. Any suggestions?

Ferm1: BrandonO Graff [5g]
Ferm2: M/T
Ferm3: M/T
Bottled: Saison de Noel
Kegged:Chocolate Milk Stout, Yooper/Jamil California Common, Simple hard cider w/WLP775 (resting)

Old 02-05-2013, 02:09 AM   #2005
woknblues
Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by woknblues View Post
I just picked up my grain bill, going to brew this tomorrow for a ten gallon batch.

6lb two row
1lb special b
4 oz honey malt
4 oz flaked wheat
8 oz carapils
1 oz us fuggles

I really want some body, residual sweetness and head retention here....

+8 gallons of sam's club AJ

Poured onto safeale-04 cakes... I will do one up as quick as the recipe calls for , the other will bulk age.
So I did this the other day. A nice and easy brew day for a 10 gallon batch. I am looking forward to what the special b, flaked wheat and honey malts add to the mix. I did forget to siphon off the hops, but I suspect they will drop out of suspension by the time I rack...The sa-04 cakes were not ready at pitching time, so I dropped in fresh sa-05. Airlocks are bubbling away. Looking forward to this, thanks for the recipe/idea.

Old 02-05-2013, 12:31 PM   #2006
BrewerBear
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by OcularTrauma View Post
Ok, so I made this with 4 gallons fresh pressed cider, 3.3lbs LME and C80/90 and its been in primary w/ BRY-97 since 12/23. I fermented around 66-67F for 2-3 weeks then moved it to my 56F "cold closet" to settle and clear. It's not cleared. I added gelatin on 1/30 to try to move it along but its not helping.

I'm not sure what to do next. My first batch came out crystal clear after 3 weeks in primary with no finings. Any suggestions?
What temperature was the wort when you put it in the cider? Putting the wort into the cider or juice to hot can cause problems clearing.

Old 02-05-2013, 03:59 PM   #2007
OcularTrauma
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewerBear View Post
What temperature was the wort when you put it in the cider? Putting the wort into the cider or juice to hot can cause problems clearing.
My notes say the wort was about 100-90°F when I dropped it in the carboy on top of 2 gallons of straight from the fridge (38°F+/-2°F) fresh pressed apple juice, then topped it off with another 1.75g of said juice. Pitched BRY-97 @ 62-64°F and fermented low and slow. I let it free rise up to about 67-68°F on day 3-4, and then I just let it go after that.

The cider was cloudy, but not that cloudy. Its the same exact cider from the same orchard I used the first time, the only changes were LME, yeast and darker steeping grains. I followed the same temperature and handling process for the cider. First batch was crystal clear into the keg @ 2-3 weeks, this one is still cloudy after more than a month.

Could I have possibly induced pectin haze? I figured I was good with my temps. Is it too late for pectic enzyme?

Ferm1: BrandonO Graff [5g]
Ferm2: M/T
Ferm3: M/T
Bottled: Saison de Noel
Kegged:Chocolate Milk Stout, Yooper/Jamil California Common, Simple hard cider w/WLP775 (resting)

Old 02-05-2013, 05:18 PM   #2008
Wraithraider
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Fresh pressed might be more susceptible to pectin haze and with larger variation from batch to batch. so long as you don't mind the extra wait time, it's really never too late to try enzyme in a brew ime

Old 02-07-2013, 02:30 PM   #2009
AcRocket
Recipes 

Just made my first batch of this stuff last night. Tried to stay as close to the original recipe as possible.
.5 lb of Crystal 60L
1 lb Amber DME
1 lb Light DME
1 oz Torrified Wheet
.05 oz Cascade hops 5.00% AA
used Nottingham Yeast
4 gallons of Musselman's Apple Cider

Cooled the wort down to 75 F, poured the cider and pitched the yeast at 68 F. OG was 1.061.

I pitched the yeast at 11pm last night.

Checked the airlock this morning at 730am. Nothing. Hopefully i didnt do anything wrong and it just takes awhile for it to get going.

Old 02-07-2013, 08:05 PM   #2010
timcadieux
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 26

My buddy and I both did these batches at the exact same time. Difference is I re-hydrated my Yeast. Mine was bubbling about 8hours later, his took close to 30hrs or so. I'd say just keep waiting. Plus, an airlock means nothing really. I have 2 pails that I know for a fact will never cause bubbles, but both have produced about a half dozen batches each so far. They are leaking somehow but the beer is always perfectly fine.

Fermenting - 10g Galaxy Pale Ale
Kegged - Raging Red Irish Ale, Black Widow Kolsch
On Deck - Captain Hooked on bitters ESB
On Tap - Revvy's Leffe Blonde Clone, Founders Porter Clone

Quick Reply