Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Cider > Graff (Malty, slightly hopped cider)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2013, 09:37 AM   #1961
dannylerch
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Right now I'm kicking myself because I just brewed some apfelwein like a week ago. I also have an Irish Stout 3 weeks in primary as well. I would have totally made this if I had seen it sooner! Oh well, once I bottle ye old dry hooch (apfelwein), I'm making a batch of this with high expectations.

Poor man's Black velvets are one of my favorite drinks.(Stout and cider rather than stout and champagne)

So brewing and fermenting a graff just seems like a flavor I'd love. I'm interested to try and make more of a stout rather than the typical ale ingredients used before. Maybe by using some barley, caramel, and darker steeping grains. Anyone try this yet? I know it would be much darker in hue, but the flavors just seem like they would be wonderful.

A lot of people complain about this recipe being too dry, but the whole point of a poor man's black velvet is that the stout really combats the dryness of the cider really well. The two flavors co-mingle in a delicious malty cidery explosion of flavor. It's also a killer drink to have with fish and chips or other fried and typically salty british/irish foods.

Anyone else make a batch of graff with stout ingredients? I know mixing two completed drinks together once they are completed is one thing. I wonder how they would co mingle if they were born together in a primary fermenter. Looks like I have my next project folks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2013, 11:42 AM   #1962
batty
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannylerch View Post
Anyone else make a batch of graff with stout ingredients? I know mixing two completed drinks together once they are completed is one thing. I wonder how they would co mingle if they were born together in a primary fermenter. Looks like I have my next project folks.
I have not but would certainly be interested in doing so.. would have to be pretty moderate on the roast I think to keep from overwhelming the cider, but could be pretty good. I would also think about doing a 'black cider' using just debittered for color - just to throw people for a loop w black cider

Old 01-24-2013, 11:43 AM   #1963
timcadieux
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 26

I'm assuming I can swap the DME for LME as its half the price at my LHBS?

Check out my Home Brewing Blog at downstairsbrewer.com and my Travel Discussion Board at chattytourist.com

Fermenting - Raging Red Irish Ale, Honey Orange Hefeweizen, Yooper's Banana Wine

Kegged - Jamil's Stout, All Amarillo Pale Ale

Old 01-24-2013, 03:11 PM   #1964
Clifton
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Danny and batty, search for Gunslinger's Graff on here. It may be what you are looking for.

Tim, yes you can just use 20-25 percent more (based on ppg).

Old 01-24-2013, 07:30 PM   #1965
dannylerch
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 37

I checked out the gunslingers graff. Looks like it is exactly what I was looking for.

Old 01-25-2013, 03:15 PM   #1966
Clifton
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Cool.

Old 01-26-2013, 07:22 AM   #1967
woknblues
Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Having a brew session in a week, I'll be brewing this up for sure. I plan on doing a 10 gallon all grain batch that I will be pitching #1 onto a SA-04 cake, and #2 will get a smack pack of 4184. I am super excited to get a malty / mouthfeel expression from a cider type beverage. I have no contacts for fresh cider, so I guess I'll go with Sam's club AJ. I also plan on bulk aging this at least 3 months. (i am way ahead of myself now in terms of pipeline, with 3/4 kegs spoken for, and no kegging system at the moment!!!) Anyone have any thoughts on the 4184 or the sa-04?

Old 01-26-2013, 11:10 AM   #1968
BrewerBear
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 18

I pitch on a S-04 yeast cake,super clear at bottling time.

Old 01-26-2013, 10:55 PM   #1969
woknblues
Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewerBear View Post
I pitch on a S-04 yeast cake,super clear at bottling time.
Awesome!

Old 01-27-2013, 05:15 AM   #1970
hopmonster2189
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts

Just bottled my first batch of the original recipe using centennial and Notty. Used Kirkland sig. AJ and they didn't charge me for 2 gals so looks like it was a $25 batch woo! Anyways I remembered Costco has a really good apple, peach, passion fruit juice that is very mellow and delicious, was thinking it would be something worth trying instead of straight apple juice. Heard of others mixing other fruit juices with their apple I'm wondering if 4 gals of this stuff would be overboard? Anybody ever try this juice or have successful apple/other fruit proportions?

Quick Reply