Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Cider > Graff (Malty, slightly hopped cider)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2013, 06:22 AM   #1931
Stovetop535
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Well I picked up 5 gallons more apple juice today and the next batch I think I will add some honey malt in with it. Maybe .5 lb for and just add it in with the other grains to steep. After reading some eer threads that mentioned the honey malt, people seem to say that a little goes a log way.

I still have a bunch of 120 and torrified wheat left, so that will stay the same. Might try a different hop as well. I used 1 oz cascade in my first batch.

I am saving my honey right now for either a mead or cyser, otherwise I would add some to this batch. I don't like the idea of adding honey to the boil at all from a flavor standpoint. In my mind it seems like boiling honey would defeat the purpose of adding it

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2013, 07:47 AM   #1932
Weir36betty
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

If you like a clean, malty, not too tart easy drinking cider style beverage then this is your drink.

Old 01-11-2013, 10:21 AM   #1933
Wraithraider
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I thought I'd rather be safe then sorry since those odors can come from stressed yeast. I added some nutrients the other day and within 24 hours the sulfur smell subsided. I don't plan on any other modifications. Kegging system arrived yesterday that I bought for the Graf. Xmas is showing up a month late I think!

Cheers!

Old 01-11-2013, 02:24 PM   #1934
BadgerBrigade
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 42 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraithraider
I thought I'd rather be safe then sorry since those odors can come from stressed yeast. I added some nutrients the other day and within 24 hours the sulfur smell subsided. I don't plan on any other modifications. Kegging system arrived yesterday that I bought for the Graf. Xmas is showing up a month late I think!

Cheers!
Nice! Kegging system just arrived for me too!
Are you as excited as I?
Bottled: Cream Soda
Still On Deck: Graff Cider

Old 01-13-2013, 01:49 PM   #1935
Wraithraider
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Honestly...yeah. I've really been struggling to find something that finishes fast but isn't beer. I've got meads aging. I'm out of Cyser. So I'm dying of thirst.
Gonna keg it up on the 18th. And while I have a happy yeast cake, I'm gonna whip up a 3 gallon batch of regular cider for the wife. Probably throw in a pound or two of brown sugar and a few split vanilla beans while I'm at it.

Old 01-13-2013, 02:53 PM   #1936
BadgerBrigade
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 42 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraithraider
I'm out of Cyser. And while I have a happy yeast cake, I'm gonna whip up a 3 gallon batch of regular cider for the wife. Probably throw in a pound or two of brown sugar and a few split vanilla beans while I'm at it.
So I can reuse the yeast cake on the bottom of a carboy? Does it leave any weird flavors? And what is cyser?
Bottled: Cream Soda
Still On Deck: Graff Cider

Old 01-13-2013, 03:44 PM   #1937
Wraithraider
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

So long as your yeast were healthy the first time around you can use them again. If they compliment the second batch that is. You can even take measures to store it for later use. This is true for most beer yeasts (I'm using Nottingham atm) but I have not tried with wine yeasts.

Cyser is a mead cider hybrid. I believe technically speaking 50% of the fermentable sugar must come from honey.

Old 01-14-2013, 04:13 PM   #1938
verboten
Recipes 

If I do one batch, I'll usually end up doing a second when the first one is out of the bucket, just because it's ready to take off!

If Bud, Miller, and Coors are plain old horse piss, Pabst is what I imagine unicorn piss must taste like

Old 01-16-2013, 11:29 PM   #1939
LeverTime
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I haven't read all 100+ pages, so maybe someone already mentioned this. I made this about 10 months ago, but I recently found 10 bottles in my cellar that I had forgotten about. I liked it before, but wow! Crisp, dry and refreshing. It's also crystal clear, whereas my young graff was a bit cloudy. In general, it was just smoother than when it was young.

You may want to age a few bottles from each batch, it's worth it.

Old 01-17-2013, 02:52 AM   #1940
mike_in_ak
Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 52 Posts

Yeah I agree. Intent of this recipe was apparently to have quicker to drink cider, but surprise it's way better after it ages.

Quick Reply