Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Cider > Graff (Malty, slightly hopped cider)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2012, 03:03 PM   #1921
gelatin
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

3 volumes is fairly safe actually. I've done a lot of reading about the topic, and it seems that most people seem to be seeing bombs at 4+ volumes in standard 12oz bottles. For a bomb to occur at 3 actual volumes (disregarding miscalculations), it seems the bottle needs to be stressed or flawed. For my 2.75 gal batch this was 2.8oz dextrose.

I've cracked a bottle of the cherry graff and it's slightly carbed already. Slight reddish head without much staying power, great tart nose with a smooth, thick, sweet taste to it. The cherries come through strongly. Amazingly good right now, and once it's really ready I think I'm going to have a keeper. For the next iteration I'm not going to alter much, but I'm going to use 8oz carapils instead of the torrified wheat. I might go all-grain too to save a dollar, but it's just going to be 2-row. Going to stick with the 1lb lactose, 1lb caramel 20L, and sucralose at bottling.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 01:22 PM   #1922
Wraithraider
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Hiya,

I'm a newb to some of this so I have a kegging question. I apologize if I missed this in the multitude of previous posts. What is the pressure recommended for this? Would the aging time vary from the original 2-3 weeks? Thanks.

Cheers!

Old 01-04-2013, 07:03 PM   #1923
OcularTrauma
Recipes 

Pressure kinda depends on your kegging system. I used the same pressure and temperature settings I would for an ale and let it slow carb for a week and got great carbonation. After it reached terminal gravity, I let it sit for a week, then cold crashed the whole carboy for a week, then left it on gas for a week. So 3 weeks for me came out perfect.

My second batch has been bubbling away nicely since last weekend. Process on page 1, but with different materials:

1lb Caramel/Crystal 90°L
4oz Torrified Wheat
3.3lbs Briess Sparkling Amber LME
4g fresh pressed apple cider
Danstar BRY-97 American West Coast (dry) Yeast

I used Caramel 60°L the first time, but the finish was really dry and I wanted a little bit of malt sweetness in there so this time the plan was to go for Caramel 120°L. Unfortunately, my LHBS was out of Amber DME so I decided to replace all the DME with the single jar of LME above. In the past when I've used LME it always seems to finish higher/sweeter, so I stepped back to Caramel 90°L. I had a huge krausen and a blow off, but that may be due to the different yeast (US-05 vs BRY-97) and 3.3lbs LME vs 2lbs DME.

Smells great, can't wait!

Ferm1: BrandonO Graff [5g]
Ferm2: M/T
Ferm3: M/T
Bottled: Saison de Noel
Kegged:Chocolate Milk Stout, Yooper/Jamil California Common, Simple hard cider w/WLP775 (resting)

Old 01-04-2013, 11:51 PM   #1924
Wraithraider
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Okay. Thanks!
Whipping up mine tomorrow. Going for the 120L though. LHBS didn't have Light DME so I'm just gonna add all Amber. Maybe 3 pounds of it.
If it's not sweet or apple-y enough I'll stabilize and back sweeten.

Old 01-05-2013, 08:03 AM   #1925
mike_in_ak
Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 52 Posts

I'm thinking the recipe is pretty much bomb proof and minor changes are really just variations on a theme.

Old 01-09-2013, 12:07 PM   #1926
Wraithraider
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I'm at day 4 in the primary and I'm smelling the slightest bit of sulfur. Is this something to worry about? Normally I'd be giving the yeast some TLC about now but the recipe seems to let it ride. Let me add that the current fermenting temp is around 66 degrees atm so I dint think that's a contributing factor. Any advice is welcome. Thanks.

Old 01-09-2013, 11:37 PM   #1927
hopmonster2189
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraithraider
I'm at day 4 in the primary and I'm smelling the slightest bit of sulfur. Is this something to worry about? Normally I'd be giving the yeast some TLC about now but the recipe seems to let it ride. Let me add that the current fermenting temp is around 66 degrees atm so I dint think that's a contributing factor. Any advice is welcome. Thanks.
I'm at day 3 and mine slightly stings my nostrils if I take a big whiff of my airlock, could be just CO2 but smells a little like sulphur as well. Considering the horrendous smell others have observed from their ciders I'm not too worried about mine, after the initial smell I can smell a fermented tart apple aroma that reassures me. Some have discussed the benefits of yeast nutrients if you're really worried I'd look into that.

Edit: mines been fermenting warmer then yours, been at about 68*F with Nottingham.

Old 01-10-2013, 02:27 AM   #1928
mike_in_ak
Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 52 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraithraider
Let it ride. It'll subside. I think I had some and it went away pretty quickly.

Old 01-10-2013, 07:35 PM   #1929
Stovetop535
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

My first batch of this is 14 days out today, checked the gravity and its down to 1.008 from 1.06. Ill check the gravity again, but I think its done. I picked up some gelatin to experiment with, so I am planning on cold crashing the primary for 24hrs so I can salvage the yeast, then racking to the secondary and adding some gelatin. After 48 hours in the secondary, keg it. I would just take it straight to the keg, but I am waiting for the paint to dry on the kegerator tower.

The sample I tried today was pretty good. Nice and smooth. I think once its chilled and on the gas I will really enjoy it.

Has anyone used any Honey Malt in this recipe? I really like honey but have no experience using the honey malt. Does a little bit go a long way?

Old 01-10-2013, 10:29 PM   #1930
OcularTrauma
Recipes 

Man, that BRY-97 is STILL going! Still pushing bubbles when I left for work this morning. I get a strong alcohol and apple smell from my airlock, but I'm using vodka in mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stovetop535 View Post
Has anyone used any Honey Malt in this recipe? I really like honey but have no experience using the honey malt. Does a little bit go a long way?
I've had no experience with honey malt, but I do think the honey flavor would go well in this. Crispin has a Honey Cider that is pretty amazing, but a little sweet for my taste. Adding honey 48hrs after fermentation has stared rocking and you should be able to retain a lot of the honey flavor and aroma, but the yeast will destroy the sugars.

I'm all in for more info about honey malt!

* Regarding honey in the primary: You also have to trust that your honey is clean. Some people like to add it to the boil, but I've added it to the primary and had excellent results.

Ferm1: BrandonO Graff [5g]
Ferm2: M/T
Ferm3: M/T
Bottled: Saison de Noel
Kegged:Chocolate Milk Stout, Yooper/Jamil California Common, Simple hard cider w/WLP775 (resting)

Last edited by OcularTrauma; 01-10-2013 at 10:46 PM. Reason: honey note

Quick Reply