Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Cider > Graff (Malty, slightly hopped cider)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2012, 02:16 PM   #1901
gelatin
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Bottle bombs are just as much an issue with Graff as with any bottle conditioned cider or beer. Priming sugar will restart fermentation and produce the CO2 that carbonates the Graff. Only if you want to drink it flat though and skip the priming sugar do you not need to worry about bottle pressure. Some people over-prime the Graff and then pasteurize it to get residual sweetness - once the beer is pasteurized, it will not produce any more CO2.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2012, 05:17 PM   #1902
bovinejony
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

2 weeks into bottle conditioning and the graff has improved significantly from 1 week. Either the increased carbonation is subduing the tartness or the tart-contributing elements have been conditioned out. I had added some spice and pumpkin to it and now notice a stronger presence of those flavors now that the tartness is under control. I also dry hopped this cider with half oz hops. It is nice to have the aroma, but for such a spicy winter beer I would not dry hop it again, as it kinda conflicts with the mood of the graff.

Damn excited to show this one off this holiday season =)

Old 12-14-2012, 09:31 PM   #1903
Stovetop535
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Thanks for the replies. I will probably start with the originally recipe and see how dry and tart it is. I want to try and keep the apple flavor the first time around, so I will probably skip the extra dme.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gelatin View Post
Bottle bombs are just as much an issue with Graff as with any bottle conditioned cider or beer. Priming sugar will restart fermentation and produce the CO2 that carbonates the Graff. Only if you want to drink it flat though and skip the priming sugar do you not need to worry about bottle pressure. Some people over-prime the Graff and then pasteurize it to get residual sweetness - once the beer is pasteurized, it will not produce any more CO2.
So maybe double the amount of priming sugar and then pasteurize once the bottles are carbed to the levels of my liking? I saw 7/8 of a cup recommended as the amount of priming sugar, so basically just go up from there and understand that I need to pasteurize the bottles.

Anyone else with comments on kegging and carbonation?

Old 12-15-2012, 05:51 AM   #1904
daggers_nz
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 13

hi there, haven't read thread but could you sub out some of the apple juice for concentrate+water to cut costs?

Drinking: Belgian IPA, Basil Lime Saison, Dark Saison, WY1007 Kolsch, Centennial Blonde

Old 12-15-2012, 05:56 AM   #1905
nightrider069
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Wow I thought it was a stuck fermentation but I just checked the fg and it was 1.006 started at 1.050. Wow it tasted great I will be doing it again soon..

Old 12-15-2012, 12:17 PM   #1906
JonM
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 735 Times on 516 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by daggers_nz View Post
hi there, haven't read thread but could you sub out some of the apple juice for concentrate+water to cut costs?
As long as the concentrate has no potassium sorbate or BHT it should be fine.

Old 12-15-2012, 10:08 PM   #1907
Sharkman20
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

Has anyone tried this with a pre-spiced cider yet? How did it turn out? Did the flavors carry over well after primary?

Old 12-16-2012, 05:22 AM   #1908
PortlandPatrick
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkman20 View Post
Has anyone tried this with a pre-spiced cider yet? How did it turn out? Did the flavors carry over well after primary?
Pre-spiced like the kind available at Trader Joe's? Tried it. Came out like... um, ass. It was terrible. I so wanted it to be good, too. It's was just too off-balance.

Old 12-16-2012, 06:34 AM   #1909
Sharkman20
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

Yea, figured I'd ask. The whole foods here sells an organic fresh pressed spiced cider and it tastes awesome, but I don't know how well the spices and whatnot would stand up to primary fermentation. I'll throw a cinnamon stick and some other stuff in secondary on my next batch and see how that turns out.

Old 12-16-2012, 02:37 PM   #1910
Rustyduck
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkman20 View Post
Yea, figured I'd ask. The whole foods here sells an organic fresh pressed spiced cider and it tastes awesome, but I don't know how well the spices and whatnot would stand up to primary fermentation. I'll throw a cinnamon stick and some other stuff in secondary on my next batch and see how that turns out.
Yeah, I have made the bas recipe over 10 times and in my experience have found that any flavor additions were most notable after the primary fermentation was complete. Tried with cinnamon, nutmeg and clove and the primary fermentation chewed right through most of the flavor, I now add any flavor enhancements to the bottom of my keg and rack onto that and immediately chill. You can add the spiced cider then if thats the flavor profile you are after, just chill immediately if you keg to prevent further fermentation. Works like a charm with cherry concentrate too.

Quick Reply