Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Cider > Graff (Malty, slightly hopped cider)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2012, 09:44 PM   #1881
ksb63
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

First batch boiling away, stuck to original recipe this time. Fermentation chamber at 67.5 everything ready for carboy.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 09:50 PM   #1882
hopdropper
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Well add another fan of graff to this thread! Figured I'd give it a shot...Treetop AJ and Cascade hops. Love this stuff. It's been in the bottle about three weeks and is totally drinkable...almost too good really. It packs a punch...half way through the pint and I got a buzz. Nice. Wondering though...it has a very subtle, slightly tart apple flavor...was thinking about adding a splash of apple extract from Midwest in the next batch. It isn't fermentable...supposed to just add the flavor. Anyone try that yet? Oh, and check out the label I scratched up on the Beer Labelizer website...

18-graff-small.jpg  
Old 12-06-2012, 10:53 PM   #1883
bovinejony
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

As an attempt to make an apple-pumpkin cider, I brewed a graff like recipe a month ago. I followed Brendon's recipe except for the following changes:

-Used Rogue's pacman yeast (cultured from the shakespeare stout, used just because I wanted to try it out)
-Added Centennial hops as per recipe, but also added 1/2 oz for dry hopping
-Added a pumpkin and spice slosh to the secondary for a week. Not knowing that pumpkin is best to be mashed with the grain load, and forgetting to do so during the mash/brew day, I wasn't sure how to prepare it to be added to the secondary. I know that I could just add pumpkin pie spices, but i really wanted to add pumpkin into the beer. Some reading on HBT revealed that unmashed pumpkin can leave a starchy mouth feel, and doesn't add much. In an attempt to reduce this, I "mashed" 4 16oz cans of organic pumpkin (added about quarter gallon of H2O) at 150F for 45mins (couldn't find on google whether pumpkin even has B-amylase, but what the hell), strained the slosh so as to minimize the retention of fiberous clumps, added spices (quarter tsp of each: nutmeg, cinnamon, allspice, ginger)to the liquid run off, and boiled for 10mins. I then cooled and added with the dry hops to the secondary.

I tasted it at bottling and could not detect a strong pumpkin flavor, but also did not detect any starch off-flavors. It's only been a week, so in about another week or two I will crack one open and report on the final product.

Old 12-07-2012, 08:40 PM   #1884
ZombieBrew83
Made in Detroit
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 12

hopdropper-
I've played around with adding more malt and/or using less apple juice to offset the tartness you speak of. I posted my latest results a few pages back if you're interested. Nice label!

bovinejony-
Please keep us updated! This recipe is so fun to play around with. I am very interested to hear about your results!

Old 12-07-2012, 11:25 PM   #1885
gelatin
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Cherry graf above is coming along well, no change in gravity since day 3, still at 1.030. Getting much smoother already, with another week or two and possibly some backsweetening, this is going to be awesome.

Old 12-08-2012, 10:52 AM   #1886
blstr
Recipes 

Put my 2gallons in a TAD today with a few bottles to spare. WOW! I can't wait for this to carb up. If it's better than my yeasty dregs sample...this is fantastic! The only thing I may do next time is add some frozen concentrate to backsweeten but probably not it's great as is.

Old 12-08-2012, 11:00 PM   #1887
Rondacker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 7

image-3288104910.jpg
Tastes really good. In keg a couple of weeks. Yum!

Ein Bier, Bitte!

On Deck= Witt
Brewing=
Primary= Ed Wort's Apple Wine,
Secondary= Air
Bottled= Lots of Beer
Drinking= 2013 Maple Sap Ale, Columb-MO SMaSH IPA, Brando O's Graff.

Old 12-11-2012, 08:39 PM   #1888
bovinejony
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Update from previous post:

Similar to most posts in this thread my graff came out a tad tart and lacking a perfect level of 'sweetness'. My attempt to 'mash' pumpkin and add it to secondary was successful on one half as it did not impart any off-flavors or mouth feel, as well as providing an excellent aroma, but was unsuccessful in imparting an obvious pumpkin flavor to the beer. Next time I will probably increase the amount of spice and pumpkin I add, as well as adding it during the boil/mash. I also feel like the cider could use an even stronger malt-base, as it is still rather 'cider-ish' as pertaining to that.

That said, this graff is incredibly tasty and easy to drink. Oddly, my first sip all I can taste is the sharp tartness of the cider, but by the 3rd sip I hardly notice it and begin to notice the subtle malt-spice base of the beer. I dry hopped and added 1/2oz hops to the boil and can't taste them in the cider, but get that nice refreshing hop sensation when I burp (come on, we all love it). The spice adds a nice aroma, although I think I will add a slightly larger amount for the next graff. I also want to play with addidnt slightly more body to the graff, as some have done in the thread; maybe adding more like 30-50% of the graff as the malt base, and the rest the AJ.

Anyway, here's to one hell of a winter beer.

Old 12-12-2012, 09:10 PM   #1889
PowPow
Recipes 

Likes Given: 4

Whats your experience regarding time in fermentor? The original post says 2 weeks, then bottle or keg. Has anyone experienced any pros or cons with leaving it in the primary fermentor for more than two weeks?

Old 12-13-2012, 05:09 AM   #1890
nightrider069
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

it looks like mine stalled what to do?? re pitch with a nutrient

Quick Reply