Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Cider > Graff (Malty, slightly hopped cider)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2012, 05:15 PM   #1871
TAPPAR
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

When I put bottles in the fridge as opposed to pasteurizing them I have never had any issues with them fermenting more. I have only tried this method with ale yeasts which cold crash pretty easily, I'm not sure about champagne, and I would definitely be a bit worried with this method if you used a lager yeast.

Edit: re-read your post, you should be fine with the ale yeast

Old 11-27-2012, 12:09 PM   #1872
blstr
Recipes 

Hey guys I made up a Graff using some left over grains and is doing the double krausen..like a saison. It doesn't look contaminated or anything I'm just wondering if this is normal for graff.

2 Gallons:
0.2lbs Special Roast
0.4lbs Flaked Wheat
1.5gal Apple Juice
0.8lbs DME...Light Golden
0.2oz Cascade Hops
US-05 Pitched at 75 degrees
Fermeting at 68 degrees

Has this happened to anyone else?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 12:28 AM   #1873
Rondacker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by blstr View Post
Hey guys I made up a Graff using some left over grains and is doing the double croisen..like a saison. It doesn't look contaminated or anything I'm just wondering if this is normal for graff.

2 Gallons:
0.2lbs Special Roast
0.4lbs Flaked Wheat
1.5gal Apple Juice
0.8lbs DME...Light Golden
0.2oz Cascade Hops
US-05 Pitched at 75 degrees
Fermeting at 68 degrees

Has this happened to anyone else?
Yes, this is typical. I had a 4" thick layer of Krausen for three weeks. After the Krausen fell I had little bits of floaters. (Protein from wheat?)
I'm drinking the first pint from a keg that has been two weeks on gas. Tastes great with a nice apple tart/sweet finish. I will definatly brew this one again.

Ein Bier, Bitte!

On Deck= Witt
Brewing=
Primary= Ed Wort's Apple Wine,
Secondary= Air
Bottled= Lots of Beer
Drinking= 2013 Maple Sap Ale, Columb-MO SMaSH IPA, Brando O's Graff.

Old 12-01-2012, 04:46 PM   #1874
gelatin
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'm brewing right now (in boil phase), trying to make a sweet cherry graff.

3 gal batch

Steeped 155-160 20 minutes:
1 gallon of water
1lb crystal 20L
1 oz torrified wheat

Boil start:
0.25oz Hallertau
1 lb pilsen DME
1 lb lactose

Fermenter start:
1 gallon pasteurized apple juice
1 gallon pasteurized cherry juice
Safale S-04

Edit: OG at a massive 1.082

Old 12-02-2012, 05:02 AM   #1875
Sharkman20
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Mine came out at 8.3% following this recipe. Anyone else get that high?

Old 12-03-2012, 06:35 AM   #1876
Soilworker
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 7

This unfortunately has turned out terrible for me. I'm not sure what went wrong. SG of 1.05, FG of 1.008 and it tastes really bad. I'm thinking the cider I used is the problem. I have another batch of a different type of cider that turned out similar. Tasteless, thin, tart, and overall not pleasant. I will not be using Musselman's cider ever again.

I might try backsweetening. Any ideas on how to save this one? Will it get better over time?

Secondary: West Flanders Red, Golden Sour, Saison Brett #2 with Brett custersianus and Brett naardenensis, Saison Brett #1 with Brett bruxellensis

On Deck: 100% Brett IPA, West Flanders Red #2 with ECY BugFarm

Old 12-03-2012, 06:29 PM   #1877
TAPPAR
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

The huge Krausen is pretty normal on mine, I leaned this time and held 2 gallons of the apple juice back until it died down, then added it when I knew it wouldn't blow the airlock off (3-4 days into ferment)

That Cherry cider sounds like it could be pretty good, could also be super tart. Keep us updated

Soilworker: That tartness will subside, I think carbonation makes it much better/gives it more body and since you are talking about back-sweetening I'm guessing it hasn't had a chance to carb up yet.

I would throw a can or two of AJ concentrate in there if you want to back sweeten. in any case let it carb up, pasteurize, and then let it sit for a month. I bet it will significantly improve.

Old 12-03-2012, 06:45 PM   #1878
gelatin
Recipes 

I'll definitely keep you updated. Pitched at 72, fermentation visible in under 6 hours, steady at 65-68 right now using a wet towel and a window for cooling. After 1 1/2 days I have a nice krausen, reddish-pink with brown flakes, only a couple of inches and though it's had a blow off tube on it from day 1 it may not need it, but I'll find out in the next day or so. I used black cherry juice and so the wort is quite dark reddish black.

I will backsweeten the heck out of it if it's tart, either with lactose or concentrate + pasteurisation, but the entire pound of crystal and lactose in a 3 gallon (really more like 2.75) batch was meant to prevent the need for it.

Old 12-05-2012, 08:03 PM   #1879
Rustyduck
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

For what it is worth!

Just finished off a batch of tart cherry cider based on the regular graff recipe but once fermentation has completed I racked into my keg over 16 oz tart cherry concentrate and 1/2 cup slpenda to back sweeten. It was excellent!
My first attempt at the cherry apple cider was good but I put the cherry in the fermenter and there was not a lot of cherry left after fermenting, much better the second time by adding straight to the keg with the splenda and then directly into the kegerator to stop any more fermentation. I am already brewing another batch, you can get the tart cherry juice concentrate at most any health food store, it is in a bottle right off the shelf not frozen.

Old 12-05-2012, 08:14 PM   #1880
gelatin
Recipes 

I would note that if you want to backsweeten with an absolute minimum of impact, there is a product called EZ-Sweetz, which is pure sucralose dissolved in water at an extremely high concentration level. Powdered splenda is sucralose sprayed onto a bed of dextrose and maltodextrin, both of which can have a slight impact and dextrose can of course effect carbonation levels.

I'll probably end up using some on that cherry graff. It fermented fast and furious but after 3 days it quieted down to next to nothing already. The krausen never even got close to out of control, it was very light in general.

Quick Reply