Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Cider > Graff (Malty, slightly hopped cider)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2012, 04:29 PM   #1851
franks160
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

So I'm not sure what the deal is with my cider but here I am at 3 1/2 weeks and it looks like it's still fermenting. Any thoughts? What's should I do next?

image-3999515224.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2012, 05:36 PM   #1852
Tubbster85
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Take a couple of hydrometer readings a couple of days apart, if its stable then I would rack from under it. I've racked under something that looked like that and it turned out fine.

Old 11-08-2012, 03:41 PM   #1853
ZombieBrew83
Made in Detroit
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I've made this a few times now. Thought I'd post the results of my latest batch. I found the original recipe to be a little too tart for my taste so I have been working to find a way to balance the sharp apple tartness and cider flavor. I think that Nottingham dries this out a little too much. I tried T-58 to see if that would add some complexity but did not care for the results. Decided to try S-04 since it finishes a little higher while adding subtle fruity esters. This batch has been carbed in bottles for three weeks, then a week in the fridge before tasting.

- Steep 0.5 lbs Special B and 0.5 lbs Crystal 60L in 2.5 gallons of RO bottle water at 154 deg F for 30 minutes.
-Add 4 lbs XLDME and bring to a boil
-Add 1oz Ahtanum 5.2%AA @15 minutes
-Cool with 3 gallons of refrigerated apple juice.
-Note: Although it will ferment, vitamin C contributes to the sharp tartness of your finished product. Avoid using juice with vitamin C if you can.
-Pitch 1 pack S-04 into fermenter

OG 1.056
Fermented for 3.5 weeka at 68 F
FG 1.010 ~5.9% ABV
Aroma: Apples, malt, some bread
Taste: Much smoother than original recipe. Apple flavor is not as sharp and blends subtly with the unfermented malt sugar. The esters from S-04 add complexity to the apple flavor. Mouth feel is smooth, sparkling, light, crisp. Reminds me of a cold Honey Crisp apple.

I am very pleased with the results of this batch. I feel that the extra malt brings up the final residual sweetness enough so the drink is less like a sour apple tart bomb. At 1.010 it is still dry and crisp enough to be refreshing and easy to drink. Thanks again to BrandonO for posting the original recipe and giving me the inspiration.

Last edited by ZombieBrew83; 11-08-2012 at 03:46 PM. Reason: Added notes on past yeasts

Old 11-09-2012, 10:42 AM   #1854
PowPow
Recipes 

Likes Given: 4

Has anyone tried this recipe, but skipping the malt extract? I like the idea with the specialty malt and the hops, but i would like to keep the ABV down to, or under, 5 %.

Old 11-09-2012, 02:57 PM   #1855
ZombieBrew83
Made in Detroit
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowPow View Post
Has anyone tried this recipe, but skipping the malt extract? I like the idea with the specialty malt and the hops, but i would like to keep the ABV down to, or under, 5 %.
If you make this without the malt extract it will finish VERY dry and VERY tart. The malt extract provides some unfermentables so the finish product is more balanced. If you read a little in the cider threads this is one of the difficulties in making a cider that is drinkable quickly. Apple juice/cider by itself is simply too fermentable to "set it and forget it" if you want to drink your finished product in a matter of weeks. If you want a lower ABV, try substituting a gallon of water for a gallon of juice.

Old 11-10-2012, 07:31 AM   #1856
PowPow
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieBrew83 View Post
If you make this without the malt extract it will finish VERY dry and VERY tart. The malt extract provides some unfermentables so the finish product is more balanced. If you read a little in the cider threads this is one of the difficulties in making a cider that is drinkable quickly. Apple juice/cider by itself is simply too fermentable to "set it and forget it" if you want to drink your finished product in a matter of weeks. If you want a lower ABV, try substituting a gallon of water for a gallon of juice.
But wont i get a bunch of unfermantable sugars from steeping the specialty grains? I always thought you got more unfermantables from steeping grain than from malt extract?

Good toughts on substituting with water. I didn't even think of that.

Old 11-11-2012, 09:40 PM   #1857
Sharkman20
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

After seeing the northern brewer episode on this I had to try it. I made my way over to this thread and got he recipe and it's bubbling away nicely after 8 hours. Should be interesting. The only thing I changed is I subbed out the light DME and used amber and dark instead.

Old 11-12-2012, 02:22 AM   #1858
ZombieBrew83
Made in Detroit
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowPow

But wont i get a bunch of unfermantable sugars from steeping the specialty grains? I always thought you got more unfermantables from steeping grain than from malt extract?

Good toughts on substituting with water. I didn't even think of that.
Your specialty grains contribute very little to the sugar in your wort. Check out the recipe calculator at tastybrew. It really helped me to understand what ingredients contribute to color, gravity, and bitterness.
Www.tastybrew.com

Old 11-12-2012, 05:37 PM   #1859
PowPow
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieBrew83 View Post
Your specialty grains contribute very little to the sugar in your wort. Check out the recipe calculator at tastybrew. It really helped me to understand what ingredients contribute to color, gravity, and bitterness.
Www.tastybrew.com
Okay I see, I will check out the calculator.

Thanks alot!

Old 11-16-2012, 02:27 PM   #1860
amedelman
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Going to make this next week, very excited. I cant believe I just read 186 pages

Primary: On the Fly RyePA
Secondary: Edwort's Apfelwein, Imperial IPA
In Bottles: Black IPA, Belgian Dark Strong
Planning: Brandon O's Graff, Java Stout

Quick Reply